Official Review: The Tissue Trail Conspiracy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Official Review: The Tissue Trail Conspiracy

Post by bluegreenmarina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Tissue Trail Conspiracy" by Garth Gunston.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From the first page to the last, The Tissue Trail Conspiracy by Garth Gunston is a nail-biting, edge-of-your-seat wild ride. Written in an immediately gripping and fast-paced style, its clear exposition and gradually deepening suspense keep the reader glued to the page all the way to a white-knuckle climax that is beyond memorable. This is a complex, multilayered political mystery thriller that has several elements that also translate well onto the big screen - international drug trafficking, exotic travel destinations, smart and sexy characters, and a healthy dose of murder and sabotage.

The story begins in Singapore, where several young women are awaiting execution after being convicted of heroin trafficking under Singapore’s extremely stringent sentencing laws. The following chapters delve into the events that brought the young women there, and introduce us to businessman/medical researcher/travel photographer/adventurer Edward Thurston, who somehow finds himself caught up in the situation. Through sheer bad luck, Thurston happens to be in the same geographical location as the arrests of the young women took place – the so-called Tissue Trail in Nepal – and is suspected by local authorities of being somehow involved. While trying to clear his own name, Thurston begins to look deeper into the case involving the young women facing execution, and uncovers many pieces that are incongruent with the story being presented by the media. Thurston works along with his assistant Jaci to find evidence to try to save the women from the death penalty, but ends up stumbling into a conspiracy much deeper than he or Jaci initially expect. Each step they take drives the stakes up, and soon they are pursued by multiple entities seeking to silence them by any means necessary, for motives that are anything but clear.

As the suspense builds, the author very skillfully introduces new characters that move the story forward, leading the reader through each layer of the mystery as the main character uncovers the truth bit by bit. The exciting pace is maintained throughout the book, building in momentum appropriately through the final scenes. Because the story is set in Nepal, Tibet, and Singapore, there are many sections that include fascinating geographical descriptions of those areas, as well as the Himalaya mountains. Readers who enjoy travelling are likely to appreciate the descriptive language and outdoor setting of this story. The author also offers us an interesting peek into the diplomatic relations between Tibet and China during the late 90s and through 2001 (when the story takes place). Though the events in this book are obviously dramatic fiction, it is clear the author has taken the time to research the politics and interactions between the governments of that part of the world. These elements added a credence to the story that set it apart from a simple action thriller, and made me feel like I learned something at the same time as I enjoyed the story.

There were only two small negatives I noted. One is the fact that a few sections seemed to have been skipped over by an editor, as they included several (albeit minor) grammatical errors. Since these were limited to just a small handful of paragraphs, they were not distracting enough to detract from the rest of the work. Also, I personally found the female characters in this book to be somewhat one-dimensional. Many paragraphs were spent on describing each of their appearances, but only a handful of sentences were devoted to their back-stories or character development. Their appearance was a factor that came up again and again each time Thurston interacted with them, and more than one of them entered into sexual relationships with him. These sections seemed unnecessary and I believe the story would have held up just as well (if not better) on the merit of the mystery/conspiracy alone.

Regardless of the negative bits above, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, as its positive aspects are much more numerous. I believe there is quite a wide audience for this type of novel. The book includes elements of science and research, as well as some insightful depictions of the media and its patterns in worldwide news reporting, which provide plenty of material for discussion in intellectual settings. Readers of action stories will appreciate the pace, exciting twists, and narrow escapes. Readers of mysteries will appreciate the complexity and unusual nature of the case. Travelers will appreciate the descriptions of mountain trails and trekking adventures on which some of the characters embark. This is a book that has something to offer for almost any reader, and I would not be hesitant to give it out to friends with a personal recommendation.

The Tissue Trail Conspiracy
View: on Bookshelves

Like bluegreenmarina's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! A glowing review. I don't think I would have read this based on the cover and the title, but the way you describe it, I definitely should. Thanks for the review. I'll put it on my list.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

This one definitely sounds interesting and unique. Glad you enjoyed this one so much! However, I do think the repetitive descriptions of the characters' appearances would become a little annoying. Great review!
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

I really like how you describe the plot. I think that I would really like the vivid scenery descriptions, the mystery, and the suspense. However, I can see how the negatives for this one would be annoying. Great review!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an enjoyable and well-researched book. I would especially enjoy the geographical descriptions. Too bad, though, about the errors. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Garth Gunston on such a high rating.
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Seems like a very intriguing premise where a false accusation ends up helping others as well. Very cool!
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Is the "tissue trail" a real thing? If so, did the author give any info about it so readers would understand the background?
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

Despite the fact that the story didn't capture my attention, the description of the background sounds enticing. Looks like a fun read for travellers. Thanks for the review!
OmololaAK
Bookshelf Size: 69

Post by OmololaAK »

The review clearly describes a book with real places and politics as a background for fast paced fiction. Sounds very exciting.
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

After reading your review, I am completely convinced that this book is really a must read. I love stories that takes me to beautiful scenery and teaches about culture and other facts despite being fictional. Thanks for your insightful review.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Your review is so well-written! Great job! This is definitely a book for me...I love everything about it. I enjoy reading books set in places I've never been so I can learn what it's like there, and the plot sounds like it could easily be made into a movie! I cannot wait to start reading The Tissue Trail Conspiracy! I'm so happy I was able to download it for free...thank you! :-)
Wangare
Currently Reading: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Wangare »

The story looks interesting,especially after reading chapter one and the writer leaves you in suspense, till you wonder will Catherine be executed for what she did not do or what will happen, it motivates you to read more, judging from the cover its a no no, but inside the cover its a yes yes.
Zacheous Njoki
Currently Reading: My Memoirs: Fifty Years of Journalism from Print to the Internet
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Zacheous Njoki »

It has got my attention especially when it comes to suspense and the other elements involved. It's a good review.
IanYanny
Currently Reading: The Lovely Bones
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ianyanny.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by IanYanny »

I really like a book with a good dose of mystery and sabotage. Will read this as soon as I can. thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron

Post by Izesicle »

7travel and conspiracy read. Sounds like something I would enjoy. I like the critique one dimensional characters. Although that's forgivable in a thriller.

-- 26 Aug 2017, 22:50 --

7travel and conspiracy read. Sounds like something I would enjoy. I like the critique one dimensional characters. Although that's forgivable in a thriller.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”