Review by LadyClaire -- My Trip To Adele

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Review by LadyClaire -- My Trip To Adele

Post by LadyClaire »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Life is certainly filled with ups and downs and was it not Shakespeare who said that this world is all but a stage, the people in it mainly players where there are many exits and entrances and in which a man in his time plays many parts. We all have many parts to play in this stage of life but perhaps what binds us all is the common quest for happiness, fulfillment, freedom and love. We may not find what we seek or we may come to find that what we seek has always been with us but whichever, we all at one time or the other must come to understand that ‘happily ever after’ was only a myth and that happiness and freedom must after all be a thing of the mind.

In R.I Alyaseer and A.I Alyaseer’s My Trip to Adele, we are introduced to three characters. First is Elias, an expatriate worker living in Rome. He returns to his country, Morocco, after 8 years to search for his lost love, Malika, only to discover that she was long gone. Buoyed by the hope of meeting her; to extricate his burden of regret; to stamp out all doubt, he searches for her all over and beyond their beloved city of Marrakesh, Morocco. Nadia is a single parent divorced from her husband shortly after pregnancy who single handedly raises up her son. In her quest for freedom from her selfish husband, for herself and her son, she’s about to find out what freedom and dignity is and at what cost it can be had. Yaser is a married man, living in Las Vegas. He is unhappy with his married life and carries within him doubts, pains and agony hidden under a façade of calmness. He must find a way to let go of all the turbulent and conflicting emotions that plague him and secure or lose his marriage. These 3 groups of characters all share a love of Adele and their quest for freedom and love will lead them to an Adele concert held in Verona, Italy. But will they make it in time to the concert? Will they find what they seek? You’ll have to read this book to find out.

I’m not really a fan of Adele, I can’t even tell her voice from other female singers so when I first saw this book, it seemed like a good opportunity to acquaint myself with the singer and I dare say, that now, I’m an Adele fan for life. I knew before hand that the book had an amazing feel to it but I was not expecting this. The plot is suspense-full right from the beginning. I must confess here that out of sheer excitement and anxiety, I almost flipped to the end. The plot is well-paced, engaging and progressively flows to a laudable ending. Adele’s lyrics are expertly woven into the fabrics of the writing. The writing is also embellished with paradoxes, similes and humor, my favorite being: ’My friend, Vegas is the city of pleasure, not sin, and anyway, sin is nothing but pleasure’ (loc. Pg 94).

My Trip To Adele is a fiction book of gritty-realism. Although it’s full of flash backs, it’s by no means boring. Oh! You should see how effortlessly the authors switch from present to past and back. The characters were carefully chiseled out and as I got nearer to the end, I began to appreciate the characters the more. The lyrical style and the Imagery are even more superb. I felt like I was in Yaser’s mind, I understood all his doubts and related perfectly with him. I was on the mountain with Elias when he discovered the somewhat horrible open-secret; I wept when he did and followed him about helplessly searching for Malika. I identified with Nadia trying to define her dignity and freedom especially with opposition from all sides.

I found the other characters to be uniquely interesting and I would have loved more detailing on Kanza and Veronica especially on their relation with Elias but as the story seemed to revolve around the lead characters, it was not much of a problem. There is a hint, just a hint of black magic which might not appeal to all. Some portions are excellently punctuated while some are not. There are missing commas, wrong spellings like think instead of thing (loc. Pg 186), omissions like ‘what sort blind law’ (loc. Pg 181), grammatical errors and repetitions but fortunately, it didn’t disrupt my reading. A commentary from the authors explains that the book was originally written in Arabic and subsequently translated and self-published in English. Given this, the errors are not surprising and can be easily corrected if professionally edited and that the novel still retains its rich content is commendable. While I didn’t like the ending, I consoled myself with the thought that the inspiration for the book came from Adele and should be all about her.

My trip to Adele is a story of faith, promise and love. The plot is well interlinked; the characters well developed and relatable. I would’ve given this book a rating of 4 stars but the reviewer in me would not because it seems the book was not professionally edited. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars and recommend it to teens and young couples, fans of Adele and all who don’t mind a curiously-written, embellished and multi-faceted read.

My Trip To Adele
View: on Bookshelves

Like LadyClaire's review? Post a comment saying so!
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Ayosinmi
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayosinmi.html
Latest Review: "A Nation Divided" by Anthony R. Flagg

Post by Ayosinmi »

Nice and fresh perspective on this one. Well done. Keep it up LadyClaire.
Please check out my reviews of First Friday and marrying a playboy billionaire. Thank you. Expecting you...
Lord, protect me from my friends; I can take care of my enemies.
Voltaire, 1694-1778
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

It is so great that everytime I read a review of this book, something entirely different is conceived out of it. Well done LadyClaire. You are welcome to read my review on this book and let me know how you feel about it.
https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewt ... 87#p729341
LadyClaire

Post by LadyClaire »

Ayosinmi wrote:Nice and fresh perspective on this one. Well done. Keep it up LadyClaire.
Please check out my reviews of First Friday and marrying a playboy billionaire. Thank you. Expecting you...
Thank you, Ayos. Thanks for reading my review.
You bet I will.

-- 26 Aug 2017, 00:52 --
ReviewerDiksha wrote:It is so great that everytime I read a review of this book, something entirely different is conceived out of it. Well done LadyClaire. You are welcome to read my review on this book and let me know how you feel about it.
Thank you Diksha. I appreciate...
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Ayosinmi
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayosinmi.html

Post by Ayosinmi »

ReviewerDiksha wrote:It is so great that everytime I read a review of this book, something entirely different is conceived out of it. Well done LadyClaire. You are welcome to read my review on this book and let me know how you feel about it.
Hello ReviewerDiksha, I have this new review out, Marrying a playboy billionaire, please check it out. Thanks
Lord, protect me from my friends; I can take care of my enemies.
Voltaire, 1694-1778
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Nice review, this really was worth BOTM.
Alicnim
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicnim.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by Alicnim »

I've enjoyed reading your review. Please if you could spare time I'd like if you could look at my review, also on this book. Thanks.
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing
walter7
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter7.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by walter7 »

Nice review, I know the story it is so adventuress but you describe it very well from your review.thanks for the review hope you'll look up for mine
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
LadyClaire

Post by LadyClaire »

juliusotinyo wrote:Nice review, this really was worth BOTM.
I definitely agree with you Juliu, it was worth the read. Thanks for reading my review.

-- 28 Aug 2017, 00:03 --
Alicnim wrote:I've enjoyed reading your review. Please if you could spare time I'd like if you could look at my review, also on this book. Thanks.
That'd be nice, Alic. Everyone's perspective is important. Thank you Alic

-- 28 Aug 2017, 00:04 --
walter7 wrote:Nice review, I know the story it is so adventuress but you describe it very well from your review.thanks for the review hope you'll look up for mine
Thank you Walter. I definitely will
-Bertrand Russel
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

Wonderful review! I do love a book that makes you want to flip right to the end to see how everything works out. It shows just how attached you are to the characters and story. I'm not personally a fan of Adele either, so I'm really intrigued by the idea of this turning you into a fan. I really need to add this to my list. Thank you for the great review.
LadyClaire

Post by LadyClaire »

Mallory Whitaker wrote:Wonderful review! I do love a book that makes you want to flip right to the end to see how everything works out. It shows just how attached you are to the characters and story. I'm not personally a fan of Adele either, so I'm really intrigued by the idea of this turning you into a fan. I really need to add this to my list. Thank you for the great review.
Thanks, Whitaker. I was quite intrigued myself. Happy reading!!!!
Please do notify me when you're done.
-Bertrand Russel
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelinda »

Thanks, LadyClaire. I'm reading this book now - I had to skim past a few paragraphs as I feared I was going to get information I wasn't ready to receive yet, but I am excited now to continue reading My Trip to Adele.
I'm no Adele fan, either, but I am listening a bit to her music to see if I will become one.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
LadyClaire

Post by LadyClaire »

Zelinda wrote:Thanks, LadyClaire. I'm reading this book now - I had to skim past a few paragraphs as I feared I was going to get information I wasn't ready to receive yet, but I am excited now to continue reading My Trip to Adele.
I'm no Adele fan, either, but I am listening a bit to her music to see if I will become one.
...Happy for you, Zelinda. Thank you for reading my review. Please, let me know when you're done.
-Bertrand Russel
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I'm glad you've become an Adele's fan now. I love her voice and the lyrics of her songs. I think the book has accomplished part of its objective if you like Adele now. In fact, I had read some other reviews about this book, but yours has finally persuaded to read this book next. Thanks for this exciting review! :D

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”