Review by juliusotinyo -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Review by juliusotinyo -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by juliusotinyo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What does a red wolf, the Roman Empire, a Druid and a Catuvellauni King have in common? A dark prophesy looms over the Cantiaci kingdom in Linnea Tanner’s Apollo’s Raven. This is the first book in the Apollo Raven series, my copy had a total 406 pages. Relish the intrigues in this epic Celtic tale of loyalty, betrayal, love and sorcery.

Welcome to the Southeast British Isles in the year 24AD. The area is populated by a myriad of Celtic tribes and kingdoms. The Roman Empire looms large in almost every facet of their lives. This was after earlier incursions by Emperor Julius Caesar. Tribal Kings attempt to out-scheme each to gain favor with the Romans. Enter Lucius Antonius, a grandson of the great Mark Anthony and a current Roman senator. In an attempt to boost his family pride and political status, he plans to coerce the Roman Emperor to invade Britannia. His plan is to achieve this through antagonizing the client Celtic Kings against each other (classic divide and rule tactic).

Princess Catrin is the rumored child of prophesy. The Cantiaci princess is a capable warrior with an indomitable Raven spirit. She is fiercely loyal to her people. Her loyalty is tested by the arrival of an old enemy (the banished Prince) who has allied with the Romans. Marcellus Antonius is the senator’s son, a charming Roman - a true embodiment of the Roman god Apollo. He accompanies his father as an envoy during negotiations with the Cantiaci King. Marcellus and Catrin are immediately drawn to each other into a forbidden romance. Their affection is tested with King Amren's straining relations with Rome and the unraveling of a dark prophecy. Will the fledgling romance stop an impending conflict? Or will the child of prophesy rain doom on her people?

Few fictional books have ever roused my senses than Apollo’s Raven. Linnea Tanner served me a sumptuous dish of Celtic lore with a blend of the classic romantic tragedy and the typical game of thrones - I read the book twice over for good measure.

The characters were amazing and invoked deep emotions in me. I never knew I could hate fictional characters like I did with Agrona, the Cantiaci Queen, Pricius and Lucius. Though I empathized with Catrin and Marcellus, the Celtic brute Cynwrig was my favorite character. His Herculean build gave him an almost omnipresent feel, despite his minimal speech. I am not sure if it was his tattoos, his strength or his periodic grunts that drew me the most.

The author’s inclusion of non-fictional elements in the tale was most pleasing. I find native lore intriguing. From the various rituals, heathen gods to the food and lifestyle. Celtic lore is well defined in this novel. I read and researched to my heart's content. I even researched some of the Celtic traditions online (surprised to find some have been adopted in Christianity) like Easter and Christmas.

The only turn-off in this book is the cliffhanger ending. But, as a very welcomed treat, excerpts of the first 3 chapters of the sequel are included in the last pages of the book. The author left me begging for more. There were few errors if any, the book is well edited and was self published. I recommend this book to everyone. The more sensitive readers may want to avoid the gruesome rituals and a few mild sex scenes. I rated this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Apollo's Raven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like juliusotinyo's review? Post a comment saying so!
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

You wrote the review beautifully. Congrats! I will surely add this book to my to-read list.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

The Researcher wrote:You wrote the review beautifully. Congrats! I will surely add this book to my to-read list.
Hi,
Thanks, it was a great story. I can't wait for the sequel.
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

Beautiful review. I as well thoroughly enjoyed this one. Worth its four out of four stars. Glad you enjoyed it as well.
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Excitedreads wrote:Beautiful review. I as well thoroughly enjoyed this one. Worth its four out of four stars. Glad you enjoyed it as well.
Thanks, I'll have a look at yours too.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

You gave a heartfelt review, Juliusotinyo! It seems the book got to you. I, too, would appreciate a guy who is better seen than heard haha.
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Miriam Molina wrote:You gave a heartfelt review, Juliusotinyo! It seems the book got to you. I, too, would appreciate a guy who is better seen than heard haha.
Molina,
Hahaha, Cynwrig was a blast. Reminds me of my dad. The guy is huge and hardly speaks, but he's presence is always felt.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Oh, your dad and you must be Batman and Robin in disguise! LOL!
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Miriam Molina wrote:Oh, your dad and you must be Batman and Robin in disguise! LOL!
Hahaha, could be true. We may both be fit enough to scale buildings but I could do with the bat mobile anytime. We don't have those ?
Czarmaine AM
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czarmaine-am.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Post by Czarmaine AM »

Great review as usual, juliusotinyo! I'm not into this kind of stories but I enjoyed having a glimpse of it through your review. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Cheers!
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
(The Old Astronomer to His Pupil by Sarah Williams)
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Czarmaine AM wrote:Great review as usual, juliusotinyo! I'm not into this kind of stories but I enjoyed having a glimpse of it through your review. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Cheers!
Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. Always a pleasure seeing you here.
Ayosinmi
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayosinmi.html
Latest Review: "A Nation Divided" by Anthony R. Flagg

Post by Ayosinmi »

My friend, you nailed this yet again. I like Princess Catlin. Well done dear.
Lord, protect me from my friends; I can take care of my enemies.
Voltaire, 1694-1778
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Ayosinmi wrote:My friend, you nailed this yet again. I like Princess Catlin. Well done dear.
Thanks Ayosinmi, great to have you by.Cynwrig was the best, give the book a try you will see why.
Ayosinmi
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayosinmi.html

Post by Ayosinmi »

Hmmmm. Don't I know already that you would pick the man with the herculean build as your favorite character? ?. Don't worry, I will still go with my princess. I will get to read it soon. Cheers my friend
Lord, protect me from my friends; I can take care of my enemies.
Voltaire, 1694-1778
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

Awesome review, Juliu. I'm a sensitive reader. Thanks for the eye-opener
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”