Review by kdstrack -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Review by kdstrack -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Will I ever fit in? Will anyone ever want me? These thoughts plague young Sarah as she is shuttled from home to home. Her mother dies. Her father travels to Europe and leaves her behind with her grandmother. Her grandmother drops her off at her grandfather’s house.

Tom Olsen is flabbergasted to learn that he has a granddaughter. He is preparing for a trip into the forest. He feels a need to fulfill a promise he made to return an ancient artifact to his grandfather’s grave. Against his better judgment, he decides to let Sarah accompany him on this trip into the woods. After locating the grave a strange thing happens to Sarah. In a fit of anger she runs away, falls into a cave, and travels back in time. Sarah is missing for eight days, but lives a month long experience with an ancient tribe.

The first story takes place in the present. It is the story of Sarah and her dysfunctional family. Tom feels inadequate in his ability to care for a teenage girl. As the story unfolds and they spend more time together, his love for her increases. The second story tells of Sarah’s experiences when she regresses into the past. She relives a hunting expedition with some of the first inhabitants of the continent. As a member of this tribe she is expected to conform to the rules of the leader and contribute when help is needed.

In both scenarios Sarah must prove herself. In the present, she struggles to gain her grandfather’s trust and respect. She wants her grandfather to believe that her stepfather was hurting her. She hopes her drawing will convince her grandfather that she did see a bear that had been extinct for 12,000 years. In the past, she must prove her ability to pull her weight in the tribe. She continues rowing the canoe in spite of great pain and fatigue. She bites her tongue when a male member takes credit for her skillful shooting. In both time periods Sarah shows courage and proves why she has earned the name of Strong Heart.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The author presents the heartwarming story of a young teenager searching for her identity. In a masterful way he parallels the two stories. He shows that searching for identity and acceptance is not something unique to our time period. When hard times come, we can choose to be cowards and see ourselves as victims. Another option is to be like Sarah, and have a strong heart.

The author deserves high praise for the great amount of investigation he has poured into this book. He gives vivid descriptions of the forest and mountain area of the Pacific Northwest, including several maps. There is also detailed information of the first inhabitants that arrived and settled in this area. He shares knowledge of trading routes, hunting habits, tribal hierarchy norms, and spiritual beliefs.

I would recommend this book to people who are interested in primitive American inhabitants and settlements. The descriptions and information given in this book are both interesting and informative. This book would also be of interest to psychologists. I really enjoyed the way the author portrays Sarah’s reaction to her difficult situations. She refuses to let herself be a victim. Sarah shows courage and proves that, in the past and in the present, she has indeed earned the name ‘Strong Heart’.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
Atabon Della
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atabon-della.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Atabon Della »

I agree with you. The author was really meticulous in the way he presented Sarah's character in the story. It is a really great read and Sarah's character is what I found the most interesting and even mysterious.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

I really enjoyed Sarah. It is so easy to claim to be a victim and much harder to show courage. I really appreciated that the author portrayed Sahar in this way. Very refreshing!
autumnr13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-autumnr13.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by autumnr13 »

:D I love the points present in this review and agree with your insights. The combination of the two storylines and the tie between past and present through the coming-of-age journey was well crafted in execution. :D
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

autumnr13 wrote: 06 May 2019, 16:48 :D I love the points present in this review and agree with your insights. The combination of the two storylines and the tie between past and present through the coming-of-age journey was well crafted in execution. :D
I enjoyed this author's writing. His research and in-depth descriptions added to the story. Thanks for commenting. I appreciate your kind words!
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

I have read Adrift by the same author and loved his writing skills. Will check out this one too. Thanks for the review.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Wambui-nj wrote: 27 Jun 2019, 14:06 I have read Adrift by the same author and loved his writing skills. Will check out this one too. Thanks for the review.
I hope you enjoy it. You will learn more about the backstory of some of the main characters. Thanks for stopping by!
Divergent fire
Favorite Book: The Hand Bringer
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divergent-fire.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: Mobile

Post by Divergent fire »

Thanks for the wonderful review.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Divergent fire wrote: 25 Jul 2020, 06:25 Thanks for the wonderful review.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for reading and commenting!
FS60
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50

Post by FS60 »

I love the point where she travels back in time. It is a unique aspect of the story.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

FS60 wrote: 12 Aug 2020, 22:57 I love the point where she travels back in time. It is a unique aspect of the story.
Yes. It does add an intriguing element to the story. Her description of what happened is even more fascinating! Thanks for reading and commenting! :-)
Sarah Dsouza
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Sarah Dsouza »

Thanks for the detailed review, it really helped me decide whether to pick up this book or not. It seems to have an intriguing storyline and I, for one, am glad to come across a book that doesn't paint a girl in a "damsel in distress" fashion. I also might be biased given that my name is Sarah too ;)
Josep22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josep22.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Josep22 »

Sounds like an intriguing and sad story that's worth a read. Thanks for the nice review.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Sarah Dsouza wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 03:40 Thanks for the detailed review, it really helped me decide whether to pick up this book or not. It seems to have an intriguing storyline and I, for one, am glad to come across a book that doesn't paint a girl in a "damsel in distress" fashion. I also might be biased given that my name is Sarah too ;)
I hope you enjoy Sarah's story. Thank you for your kind words.:-)
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Josep22 wrote: 26 Aug 2020, 03:49 Sounds like an intriguing and sad story that's worth a read. Thanks for the nice review.
I have enjoyed this author. (This story has a sequel "Adrift.") The author does an amazing job of describing the setting for this story. I hope you enjoy it, too! Thanks for stopping by. :-)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”