Official Review: Death by Pumpkin by N.A. Granger

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Official Review: Death by Pumpkin by N.A. Granger

Post by Snowflake »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Death by Pumpkin" by N.A. Granger.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Death by Pumpkin is the third book in the Rhe Brewster Mystery Series by N. A. Granger. You don’t need to read the first two books in the series to enjoy this excellent mystery! This book stands quite well on its own. There is a helpful foreword that includes a glossary of the main characters that were introduced in the first two books. This is a well-crafted mystery and an enjoyable read.

The main character in Death by Pumpkin is Rhe Brewster. Rhe is an ER nurse who lives in the fictional town of Pequod, Maine. Part of the entertainment during the annual Pequod Pumpkin Festival is the dropping of a giant pumpkin, from a large crane, onto an old car. Unfortunately, this year there was a body in the car beneath the pumpkin! Since Rhe is also a consultant with the small town police office, she joins in the efforts to solve the mystery of who the victim was, and why he came to such a squishy end.

This book reminded me a lot of the The Cat Who… mystery series by Lilian Jackson Braun. They both have an excellent small town feel with characters that could be your neighbours. This particular plot was well thought out and well-paced throughout the book. Even though the book was at a small town speed, the mystery added some very exciting elements.

I really enjoyed the fact that Rhe was an excellent and determined investigator. She worked through the mystery in a logical and realistic manner. She was a first-rate asset to the local police department and an excellent female role model. I also enjoyed the aspects of local life that were added into the story. Parts of the local culture and aspects of everyday life were woven into the fabric of the story in a realistic manner.

The only area where I felt there was room for some improvement was the dialogue text. It seemed a bit formal at times. There were phrases like “I would not know where to start looking.” instead of “I wouldn’t know where to start looking.”. This was a minor thing. Once I got used to it, it did not take away from my enjoyment of the book. I think it would also be helpful to add the pronunciation of the name Rhe to the glossary in the Foreword.

All in all, Death by Pumpkin was a great mystery with well-drawn characters and a solid plot. I really enjoyed the small town setting. Rhe was a strong female lead who was both intellectually and emotionally smart. The mystery and its impacts on Rhe’s life were woven together seamlessly. This book was an excellent stand-alone novel. It is also one that makes me want to read the earlier books so I can enjoy more of Rhe’s adventures! I give Death by Pumpkin by N. A. Granger 4 out of 4 stars. People who enjoy mysteries in a small town setting will really enjoy this book.

Death by Pumpkin
View: on Bookshelves

Like Snowflake's review? Post a comment saying so!
peace starts with a smile...
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This does sound really interesting. Rhe is an ER nurse who is also a consultant with the police department? Hmm... I think I'll have to pick this one up! Thanks for a good review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

As soon as I read the title, I started giggling. I do enjoy small town mysteries. This sounds like a fun read, thank you for such a great review.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Snowflake

Post by Snowflake »

Thanks for your comment. It was a good read!
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Nice review! I find the title of the book very interesting. The title and your review stating that its is good mystery read helped me make my decision to read this book. Thanks for sharing your views.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

when I saw the title to this book,I was curious to find out how on earth a pumpkin would cause someone's death. the writer, however, does employ a very tactical form of creativity to come with a book that is full of mystery.

-- 17 Aug 2017, 02:02 --

when I saw the title to this book,I was curious to find out how on earth a pumpkin would cause someone's death. the writer, however, does employ a very tactical form of creativity to come with a book that is full of mystery. great review.
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

Giant pumpkins and murder, what could be better in a wait for Halloween. The story atmosphere sounds cozy enough to dip in. Thanks for the review! I loved it
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

Seems like a good mystery read. I'm a bit confused about the title, though, I think it would be something humorous in the end. I love the name the author picked for the protagonist, it's finally a name that's not as common in books. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, Snowflake! This could turn out to be a favorite series for me. I am a crime story fanatic and enjoy forensic-science-derived clues which I'm guessing is Rhe's contribution to the investigation.

Very engrossing review you gave, too! Thumbs up!
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

kandscreeley wrote:This does sound really interesting. Rhe is an ER nurse who is also a consultant with the police department? Hmm... I think I'll have to pick this one up! Thanks for a good review.
A consultant ER nurse for the local police department, I thought only MD or surgeons did those. Thanks for an insightful review. But, I am not a fan of crime and mystery books.
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

This sounds like a good mystery novel. This is one I would like to read.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
Snowflake

Post by Snowflake »

Thanks kandscreeley, CatInTheHat, The Researcher, bookiegalke, Athena Moon, IsabelMay, Miriam Molina, juliusotinyo and Bluecobia for your kind comments. They are greatly appreciated.

And yes, IsabelMay, while there are a few funny moments, this is much more a mystery than a comedy.
Marylynn
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marylynn.html
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles

Post by Marylynn »

I like the fact that the book is a stand alone so one feels no pressure to read the rest of the books in the series. Thank you for the nice review.
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles
Snowflake

Post by Snowflake »

Thanks Marylynn - yes, it worked well on its own. I did want to read the other stories but only because I enjoyed this one so much.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Great Review!! I will have to pick up a copy of this book!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”