Official Review: Busted by Michele I. Khoury

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Busted by Michele I. Khoury

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Busted" by Michele I. Khoury.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Busted by Michele Khoury is a thriller that focuses on the current drug epidemic in southern California. The novel is told from the perspectives of three characters: Gina, a young, struggling artist; Bobby, a seasoned DEA agent; and Miguel, a criminal involved with the Cartel’s drug trade. A fateful encounter with a handsome stranger finds Gina unknowingly involved in the Cartel’s business. Struggling to find her footing as an artist and wondering how she will make next month’s rent, the last thing Gina needs is a criminal boyfriend or trouble from his partners. The main players in this novel are all connected by one factor: illegal drugs.

Busted is a fast-paced, easy read. The quick movement of the plot keeps one guessing what will happen to key characters involved in the story. There were many shocking, unexpected plot points, and the use of varying character perspective added to the authenticity of events. In addition, there is a clear undercurrent of realism throughout the narrative. The procedures utilized by Bobby and the DEA, the courtroom scenes, and the descriptions of the Cartel’s involvement in the drug trade all read like credible content, showcasing the author’s commitment to portray a realistic and relevant story.

However, Busted is far from perfect. Though the author’s research and knowledge about the various parties is clear, at times, the dialogue turns a bit preachy, as if the dialogue is just a means for the author to describe the current political climate surrounding illegal drug trade in the country. In addition, many events appear to be resolved too easily, and the timeline is unclear. Although the timeline is linear, there appear to be large forward leaps with no indication of how much time has passed and no clear change in the characters’ emotional state.

Furthermore, the use of multiple perspectives provides insight into the personal lives of the three main players; unfortunately, these three characters fail to develop beyond a basic caricature of their previously mentioned descriptions. Gina is overwhelmingly naive and becomes difficult to like after her consistently poor choices. Bobby, the hardened detective, has trouble at home and always toes the line when it comes to protocol. And Miguel is just a bad, bad guy. Though the author tries to create empathy through Miguel’s relationship with his ailing mother, these portions felt cheap and typical. Overall, Miguel’s portion of the narrative fails to endear Miguel in anyway or make him in the least bit empathetic; in fact, he quickly becomes a typical, tiresome villain.

The superficial character development and the sometimes preachy dialogue led to the subtraction of one star from my final rating. Despite these detractors, Busted is a quick, easy read that holds your attention until the end and succeeds in creating relatively enjoyable suspense; therefore, I rate Busted 3 out of 4 stars. Fans of easy-to-read, quick paced-thrillers will enjoy this one.

Busted
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I dislike the superficial character development, but it still sounds interesting. I might have to try it anyway. Thanks for another good review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

Naive and tiresome - two words describing most boring characters in the story. It might not be completely ruining it but definitely annoying. Although, I must admit what choices they make in this troubled situation. Thanks for the review!
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Nice review! It seems there are some shortcomings like over preaching and under developed characters. I think this is not a book for me.Thanks for sharing your views
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I think I was turned off once you mentioned the poor character development. Sounds like the potential was there, but the author didn't quite get there with it.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I like the fast paced nature of the novel and easy read. I think it promises to be a thriller save for it's shortcomings. Thanks for a wonderful review.
Juliet Esther
Currently Reading: That place of knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-esther.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Juliet Esther »

I instantly lost my interest when you mentioned that the book is far from perfect but i do like the storyline. The book is also fast paced which is a good thing and i should consider checking it out. Thanks for the review
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

An engrossing novel which confronts the complex issues like drug trafficking and addiction. The story was so engaging, captivating, and Interesting. I added to my To-read list. Thanks for the review.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Fast-paced and easy to read, but poor character development, I'm not sure if I'm going to give this book a try or not. Sounds more like a crime novel than a mystery. Thanks for your review!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

I read the review of the book Busted, by Michelle I. Khoury. This story has love, romance, sex, explicit scenes. Gina McKenna, Miguil Lopez and Garcia are the main characters in the tale. Gina is suffering from low bank account. Lopez is druggist and doing his business to increase the money. Garcia is working for DEA and struggled to eliminate the crime, drugg addiction etc.
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

I love the cover of the book, therefore, I would have chosen to read the book based on that. Having read the review and the sample, the book seemed even more interesting than the cover because apart from it being full of suspense, it is also seasoned with a bit of humor.I loved reading about the romantic interactions between Gina and Miguel. Thanks for the review
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”