Official Review: All-In-One Basic to Advanced Guide to Ge...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Official Review: All-In-One Basic to Advanced Guide to Ge...

Post by raikyuu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "All-In-One Basic to Advanced Guide to Genealogy & Ancestry History Research" by Kimberly Berry.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Want to make your own family tree but don’t know where to start? What kind of information should you look for? What documents will provide you with this information?

All?In?One Basic to Advanced Guide to Genealogy & Ancestry History Research is a non-fiction guidebook that aims to help aspiring genealogists in tracing their family history and lineages. Using her experience in researching her own family history, Kimberly L. Berry shows some useful tips for productive genealogy research. She also provides exhaustive lists of resources which anyone can use to conduct one’s own research.

In the book, the author guides the reader by tackling what particular information and documents one should look for. The author recommends starting with the information the reader knows about his family. From there, the reader must trace the lineage backward, starting from himself, next to his parents, then to the grandparents, afterward to the great grandparents, and so on. To do this, the reader must know the right questions in asking family members and relatives. In addition, the reader must learn how to obtain relevant information from documents such as birth certificates, tax records, marriage contracts, census records, DNA tests, and many more.

I am impressed with the author’s extensive list of resources in the book. The resources range from places to obtain divorce contracts to websites to access international archives. Not only does the author provide a lot of resources, but she also gives thorough descriptions of how to acquire the documents from the resources. These make the book a convenient all-in-one guide to genealogy research.

The title of the book accurately reflects its content. The book is truly a basic to advanced guide to genealogy research. The author makes the book understandable by explaining concepts and how they can be applied, such as how DNA testing works. She builds upon these basic concepts to provide a more in-depth information to help extract accurate information for one’s genealogy research.

Usually, informative books tend to focus only on dry facts; thus, such books risk of being too dull to read. In this book, the author does a great job at putting life in the texts. She does this by presenting her ancestry history not as a list of facts, but as a story unfolding. Her experience in her own research acts not as an accessory in the book, but as a source of wisdom in researching one’s genealogy. Such wisdom includes being prudent in one’s research, as it is possible for a researcher to commit a mistake. The author also includes some information about American and world history, which she uses to explain why some documents are only available for particular years. An example of this is the availability of bounty land warrant applications from 1775?1855, which existed due to lands occupied during the wars in the Americas that time, such as the Indian Wars.

Unfortunately, the book is not meant to be read for leisure. The book is loaded with information about genealogy research, that most information in the book is tedious to read unless the reader has the intention of doing a genealogy research. Nevertheless, the book is helpful, understandable, and fascinating in its own manner. After considering all the factors, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The book is intended for American genealogists, but even a non-American genealogist can pick up some useful tips and information from the book. All?In?One Basic to Advanced Guide to Genealogy & Ancestry History Research is probably the only guide that you’ll ever need.

All-In-One Basic to Advanced Guide to Genealogy & Ancestry History Research
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like raikyuu's review? Post a comment saying so!
-rk
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

Great review, raikyuu. It seems that you enjoyed reading this one. It isn't surprising because we learn something about our self when we learn about our ancestors. Thanks for sharing.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by raikyuu »

LadyClaire wrote:Great review, raikyuu. It seems that you enjoyed reading this one. It isn't surprising because we learn something about our self when we learn about our ancestors. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you, LadyClaire. Maybe you can give this book a read too.
-rk
Aarush Kumar
Currently Reading: Disastrously Fabulous
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarush-kumar.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Aarush Kumar »

Great review... I might read this one... I guess I'll add it to my To-Read list for now...
raikyuu
Currently Reading:

Post by raikyuu »

Aarush Kumar wrote:Great review... I might read this one... I guess I'll add it to my To-Read list for now...
Thank you, Aarush Kumar.
-rk
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've often thought about trying to figure out my ancestry. This sounds like a great book if I do decide to do that. Thanks for a good review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
raikyuu
Currently Reading:

Post by raikyuu »

kandscreeley wrote:I've often thought about trying to figure out my ancestry. This sounds like a great book if I do decide to do that. Thanks for a good review.
Thank you, kandscreeley. If you do, well, this is probably the only book that you'll need.
-rk
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

Ancestry research has always fascinated me, but I kind of have a feeling you can't really know the truth. The documents aren't always that detailed plus they are very hard to find. The book, even if it's dull at some points as you mentioned, still sounds interesting. Thank you for the detailed review.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
raikyuu
Currently Reading:

Post by raikyuu »

IsabelMay wrote:Ancestry research has always fascinated me, but I kind of have a feeling you can't really know the truth. The documents aren't always that detailed plus they are very hard to find. The book, even if it's dull at some points as you mentioned, still sounds interesting. Thank you for the detailed review.
Well, we have all our preferences. That's why the author made the book to make ancestry research easier.
-rk

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”