Have you ever missed your night sleep for a book

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbyemi.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Have you ever missed your night sleep for a book

Post by Debbyemi »

I sometimes find myself attached to the book am reading that I will not be able to drop it for the night. I will just have to continue reading till am done. I remember staying up till 4 am to finish a book I started early in the day, my elder sister was like won't you even get to sleep. I was just so glued to the book I could not drop it without knowing the end. luckily for me, the book wasn't so big so I could finish it and was still able to catch about 2 hours sleep. Wondering if it is lack of discipline or love for book that make me do such.

If it has ever happened to you, here is the place to give your experience.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

I've definitely done that. I'll do it either because the book is totally engrossing and I just have to know what happens or I'll be like there are only X amount of pages left. I can knock this out tonight. The latter is probably because I'm a bit of a night owl.
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

That's great to hear Mallory Whitaker, I do it more for the engrossing reason, I sometimes do it for the amount of pages left though.
Thanks.
Angela Stripes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 04073">The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf</a>
Currently Reading: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-stripes.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Angela Stripes »

I don't know about missing an entire night, but I have sacrificed many hours to books. There's something special about staying up late to read. Either like what Mallory said, or what I enjoy is knowing I won't be interrupted. I can get super comfy and just enjoy. Those are the best books, when hours slip away before you feel tired, and then even after that feeling so invested you keep going. Yep, the best.
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

I did it just today. I started the October Daye series and found it to be very interesting, so I stayed up all night reading it.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
Mystar
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mystar.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mystar »

I am most definitely guilty of losing sleep because I was so engrossed in a book. I find that once a book catches my attention I just can't put it down until I know what happens at the end.
Angela Stripes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 04073">The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf</a>
Currently Reading: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-stripes.html

Post by Angela Stripes »

Mystar wrote:I am most definitely guilty of losing sleep because I was so engrossed in a book. I find that once a book catches my attention I just can't put it down until I know what happens at the end.

That's the best
MoseyProse
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moseyprose.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by MoseyProse »

Haha I just stayed up until 2 in the morning finishing Pines by Blake Crouch. It's so great finding books you literally can't put down! Luckily I'm in a situation at the moment where I can stay up fairly late if I need to finish a book :)
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
jwalker73
Currently Reading: The Good Mother
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwalker73.html
Latest Review: The Truth About Parallel Lines by Jill D. Block

Post by jwalker73 »

This is a frequent habit. I find that, if I am absorbed in a really good book, 4.30 am just sneaks up on you.
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

Angela Stripes wrote:I don't know about missing an entire night, but I have sacrificed many hours to books. There's something special about staying up late to read. Either like what Mallory said, or what I enjoy is knowing I won't be interrupted. I can get super comfy and just enjoy. Those are the best books, when hours slip away before you feel tired, and then even after that feeling so invested you keep going. Yep, the best.

I can relate, night is the best time to read undisturbed. I don't always miss my entire night though but I do when am reading a very captivating book and I want to know how it ended. it usually take discipline to let go.

-- 21 Aug 2017, 07:45 --
Anirudh Badri wrote:I did it just today. I started the October Daye series and found it to be very interesting, so I stayed up all night reading it.

I can relate. October Daye series must be really interesting. Have you written a review on it,will like to check it out.
Atabon Della
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atabon-della.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Atabon Della »

No, I have never. I guess it's because I have not read that many books. Am still trying to adjust to reading books.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

No I have never missed a night of sleep but I have stayed up til Midnight reading a good book or 1:30 a.m. But not a whole night. When I need sleep it's time to sleep and the book can wait.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly
Debbyemi
Currently Reading:

Post by Debbyemi »

ebethina wrote:No I have never missed a night of sleep but I have stayed up til Midnight reading a good book or 1:30 a.m. But not a whole night. When I need sleep it's time to sleep and the book can wait.
Wow, I like your discipline, I can't always do that, though I do at times, some books just get to control me and determine my sleep
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

I have stayed up half the night reading a book. The Harry Potter series when they were first being released is what first came to mind. I just could not put them down to sleep. I had to know how they ended. The next day, the sense of accomplishment and thinking about the story gave me the energy to function.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I don't think I've ever lost a whole night's sleep but I've certainly lost a few hours of sleep (a little too often).
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”