What would you do for money?

Discuss the August 2017 Book of the Month The Expansion by Christoph Martin.

View The Expansion on Bookshelves

View The Expansion on Amazon (Free with Kindle Unlimited)
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Re: What would you do for money?

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

I definitely wouldn't murder or steal for money. I might lie. It depends on the amount/what the lie is. I probably wouldn't but for the sake of being honest, there's a chance I'd do it. But I agree with others, money isn't the end all be all.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Not extreme things like murder, lying, stealing, sex - none of that is worth whatever money. But, I would do some things that I am not comfortable with for money. Like - I am NOT a runner. out of shape, overweight, etc., but if I were going to be paid handsomely for running a marathon or something, I'd definitely give it a go. Or, I'd run around in a cow suit for a day for cash. Depending on the cash amount and the task - I would do it. But, say the marathon example, it would have to be a few hundred dollars LOL
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
michelonline29
Favorite Book: The Eurasians
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelonline29.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by michelonline29 »

It is not worth it to lie, steal or even murder for a huge amount of money because it is immoral. I would not do anything bad just to get a huge amount of money.
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

Yes as others have said what one might do for money varies greatly with the situation. Kill or steal not unless my family was threatened. Write a book review of a good book I have read - sure I would be glad to be paid for that.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Christina Rose wrote:I have never been one to put such importance on money. If we have enough to get by, we are good. Sure, having more is nice, but my priorities fall elsewhere, namely family.
I believe this is true if one is financially secured. One is forced to think of money over other things if the life of his loved ones is at stake. For example, if a family member is suffering from an illness and it demands a good sum of money for medication.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Crime is not an option for me, I think and hope. But I can beg and do manual labor, if and when necessary.
Donnavila Marie01

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:Not extreme things like murder, lying, stealing, sex - none of that is worth whatever money. But, I would do some things that I am not comfortable with for money. Like - I am NOT a runner. out of shape, overweight, etc., but if I were going to be paid handsomely for running a marathon or something, I'd definitely give it a go. Or, I'd run around in a cow suit for a day for cash. Depending on the cash amount and the task - I would do it. But, say the marathon example, it would have to be a few hundred dollars LOL
This is great! We can beat the things we were not used to if a good sum of money is at stake.
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

I have never tasted big money and wouldn't actually know how would I feel to have as much. One thing for sure, I wouldn't kill, steal or somehow else obtain money illegally. It's not worth the risk. Love is something worth dying for.
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Post by Harmony Hills »

As the bible says, "The love of money is the root of all evil". Money is not an evil thing. We could work and get paid for what we deserve. But to love it, and be greedy of it will just lead to self-destruction, so I wouldn't do anything for money.
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh
Donnavila Marie01

Not committing any illegal act or something just to get money is easier said than done because it takes a strong foundation of morality and spirituality to do so.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

Amagine wrote:I would never go against my morals for money. There are many things that I would never do just simply for the sake of money.
I agree with is, doing otherwise would be a betrayal of self which would make it hard for me to live with myself. So I'd rather not corrupt my morals or who I am as a person for money. It just doesn't seem worth it. Greed takes more than it gives.
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

In general, I wouldn't commit crimes for money. The most may be lying a bit when selling a used item and saying it's lightly used or so, but I think murder and burglary are wrong.

I think dignity, humility and pride are important and there's no need to cheat unless you're forced to.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Moniquejm
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2759">What is and isn't Working for the Alcoholic and Addict</a>
Currently Reading: Small Change
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moniquejm.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by Moniquejm »

Money is really a need in our life. Most people are becoming greedy just to have the money they want but there are still people who really want to work hard for money. I myself want to have money in a legal and good way for me to spent it happily.
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

Bending your morals or hurting someone just for your own gain is not acceptable to me. Money is important but not more than someone's life and neither their integrity. Stealing from someone or even killing someone for money is one of the worst things.
Czarmaine AM
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czarmaine-am.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Post by Czarmaine AM »

This question made me remember this quote "Money can't buy happiness but it can buy you a coffee and it's pretty much the same thing" haha Anyway, I do believe that it's very important to be financially secured. But going extremes such as stealing and doing other illegal stuff is totally out of the line.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
(The Old Astronomer to His Pupil by Sarah Williams)
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Return to “Discuss "The Expansion" by by Christoph Martin”