Official Review: Breaking the Grip of Postpartum Depression

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Official Review: Breaking the Grip of Postpartum Depression

Post by raikyuu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Breaking the Grip of Postpartum Depression" by Judy Dippel.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Until now, there is a stigma surrounding depression that prevents affected people from seeking help. Breaking the Grip of Postpartum Depression, a non-fiction book by Judy Dippel aims to free new mothers who suffer from drowning feelings more severe than the “baby blues.” This condition is known as “Postpartum Depression,” which affects about 15% of women after childbirth.

The author shares her and other mothers’ experience with Postpartum Depression. She includes the shame surrounding the condition, which makes it harder to talk about with family and friends. She offers practical advice that helps readers ease their feelings of helplessness. She also uses scriptures from the Christian bible to help readers live through their depression. She also discusses other conditions under the umbrella term “Perinatal Mood Disorders” such as Postpartum Anxiety, Postpartum Traumatic Stress Disorder, and Postpartum Psychosis.

Ms. Dippel provides a disclaimer that “the book is not intended to replace counseling, therapy, or medications that therapists or doctors recommend and may be of additional help.” Although the author provides information about Postpartum Depression, including its symptoms and treatment recommendations, she focuses on relating with the readers in their struggles, that they are not alone in their condition. The author does her best empathizing with the readers, as well empowering them with encouragement.

The author provides practical advice that looks commonplace, like eating nutritious food and sleeping for 8 to 10 hours a day. The advice can be applied not just to Postpartum Depression (or depression as a whole), but also to healthy living in general. Of course, it’s not bad to remind people to take good care of themselves, especially since the advice tends to be easily forgotten.

The Christian discussions about God’s benevolence comprise more than a half of the book. This makes the book relatable to the Christian community, but foreign to those not a part of it. Yet, the author mentions that “If you are not a ‘God person’ or a praying person, I beg you to keep an open mind and to not let the Christian aspect of my journey make you close this book.” Despite her intentions, her words don’t translate the scriptures well to encourage non-Christians. After quoting Jeremiah 24:6, the author writes, “What is significant is to be able to surrender to God what you cannot control. In doing so you’ll begin to see your life through the broad, wide angle lens of God’s perspective, not limited human vision. His direction and power is always at work, but he waits for you to yield to it—he promises to plant and not uproot—be patient, you’ll see that his dreams for you are even better than those you have for yourself.” Nevertheless, for those who are Christians, the book does a good job at resurfacing the muddled thoughts of the readers.

The author uses concrete imagery to help readers empathize with those who suffer from Postpartum Depression. This is shown in her metaphor of “frying an egg” to show how people’s minds can easily become confused and mushy when Postpartum Depression strikes. Sadly, it seems that she doesn’t have much to say about the condition, so her words tend to get repetitive. I guess the repetition helps to reinforce the idea, but it becomes a let down for others who want to know more about the condition.

Given the seriousness of the topic, the author manages to insert some “humor spots” which are mostly feel good jokes emphasizing the hardships of being a mother such as, "It's not easy being a mother. If it were easy, fathers would do it." This is a good addition to the book, as the “humor spots” help ease the dark thoughts of depression. I believe that there is room for improvement in this kind of style for those who wish to write other books about depression.

In general, Breaking the Grip of Postpartum Depression is a sufficiently relatable book that helps mothers understand their struggles, although I am not confident to claim that the book will help those who would read it. Overall, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. Sadly, I can only recommend this book to women (particularly Christian ones) who suffer from Postpartum Depression, even though men also suffer from the condition. For those who wish to read the book, I do hope that you’ll feel better, whether the book helps or not.

Breaking the Grip of Postpartum Depression
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like raikyuu's review? Post a comment saying so!
-rk
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

Fantastic review, raikyuu. My mom might say:'Postpartum Depression?...never really heard of that one'. I feel that what makes it more menacing is that it's somewhat overlooked and a book like this would surely come in handy. I agree with you,raikyuu, that Judy Dippel deserves a thumbs up because of the topic and more detail would've been better. Thanks!!
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

the reviewer's rating not withstanding, I would consider reading this book because I intend to get married soon and have a baby. if this book would help me journey through motherhood, I would consider reading it especially because. it's written from a Christian perspective. thanks for the good review
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like there's a lot of good advice in here. This is a subject that definitely needs to be talked about. Too bad there's a lot of repetition. Thanks for a good review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cyril Stephano Lissu
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyril-stephano-lissu.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Cyril Stephano Lissu »

I can't imagine how boring was the repetition to the reviewer which resulted into low rating of the book, despite its potentiality for postpartum mothers. Thanks for great review!
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by raikyuu »

Thank you all for the comments. I rated the book 2 stars because it is fairly okay for anyone to read it. I'm not really saying that the book is bad.

And the repetition is not the sole reason for me to give the book 2 stars.
-rk
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Pity that the author does not really write for a larger audience than the Christian community. I certainly agree that most others will be put off by constant references to scripture. Hopefully those who need books on this topic find it helpful.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
raikyuu
Currently Reading:

Post by raikyuu »

Anirudh Badri wrote:Pity that the author does not really write for a larger audience than the Christian community. I certainly agree that most others will be put off by constant references to scripture. Hopefully those who need books on this topic find it helpful.
I hope so, too. Depression is a complicated topic to talk about, and it would be helpful for the topic to not be taken lightly.
-rk

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”