Official Review: Ex-Rich Girl Tells All by Kami Corban

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Ex-Rich Girl Tells All by Kami Corban

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ex-Rich Girl Tells All" by Kami Corban.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ex-Rich Girl Tells All by Kami Corban is an unflinchingly honest memoir of the author’s experiences as she navigates the ups and downs of her personal and professional life. She discovers growing up in a wealthy family doesn’t guarantee you will have an easy, happy life. It certainly doesn’t help that both of Kami’s parents are dysfunctional narcissists. They can’t be depended on for emotional or financial support, and frequently suck her into the drama of their own lives.

The story begins when Kami is a senior at Duke University. She flies to England to visit her college sweetheart Tucker, who is starting graduate school there. Well, life doesn’t always turn out as planned. Kami arrives in England to discover Tucker has a new girlfriend. The author stumbles aimlessly around England for a while before returning to the U.S. She continues to fall into jobs and relationships without much thought given to her choices along the way.

I enjoyed this book despite being fairly disgusted with Kami’s parents and her stepmother. At times I felt like I couldn’t put the book down, in the same way people can’t turn away from a car crash. Kami is an interesting yet flawed character. I wished she was more assertive instead of just going along with whatever other people suggested.

All of the characters are vividly written and I felt like I knew each of them. It is said that truth is stranger than fiction, and this is certainly the case here. Kami’s parents and stepmother are horrible in their own unique way. The writing often lacks emotion and the reminiscences have a hollow, distant feel. It’s as if the author was discussing someone she hardly knew, rather than herself.

There are a few errors scattered throughout the book. I noticed a few spelling mistakes (thank instead of think, and the incorrect spelling of the city of Asheville), incorrect line breaks, and indenting errors. An extra round of editing was needed here.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Writing this story seems cathartic for the author. She certainly doesn’t sugarcoat her experiences. While the flow of the story is a bit disjointed at times, the overall effect is that of a woman who keep putting one foot in front of the other and moving forward. I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy memoirs and stories of dysfunctional families. It is an interesting yet disturbing account of a woman’s life, one that I will not soon forget.

Ex-Rich Girl Tells All
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a touching memoir. Kami sure sounds like an interesting character. Memoirs aren't my cup of tea, but I am glad you found the book to your taste. Thank you for the great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

I find this oddly interesting. We all could learn a lesson from this book but it's too bad that the writing often lacks emotion. Thanks for the review,Bookowlie...glad you enjoyed it.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

It is an interesting yet disturbing account of a woman’s life, one that I will not soon forget.
The author's personality might be something I could relate too. I also wish at times that I should have been more assertive in some situations. I guess I could easily relate to this book book and I hope I could learn from her experiences.

Thanks for the great review and I'm glad you enjoyed the memoir.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Gali, GCamer, and Lady Claire. The book was interesting yet very disturbing. There were so many scenes where I felt I couldn't stop reading in a "seeing-a-car-crash" way. GCamer - it's not so much that I wish the author had been more assertive in the normal sense of the word. It's that her parents, especially her father, talk her into situations that are not good choices.
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

I guess the saying, "parents know best" does not apply here.
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds extremely interesting. Most of us have some kind of family drama, but this does sound kind of out there. I think it's something I would enjoy reading as you say in a kind of horrified fascination. Thanks for another great review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

GCamer wrote:I guess the saying, "parents know best" does not apply here.
So true. It is clear that their dysfunctional behavior had a major impact on the author's life.

-- 16 Aug 2017, 11:38 --

Thanks Kandscreeley for the feedback. Your description of "out there" is very approriate. There were times when I wanted to throw the book against the wall while reading.
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

what this woman goes through is something that evoke in me feelings of sympathy for her. this is a beautiful memoir and the review is great too.
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

bookiegalke wrote:what this woman goes through is something that evoke in me feelings of sympathy for her. this is a beautiful memoir and the review is great too.
Thanks for the nice feedback! I also felt sorry for the author. Still, she was an adult and I felt she should have been more thoughtful in her choices instead of just falling into careers and relationships.
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

I'm a bit surprised the writing is hollow, but the saying about reality and fiction is definitely true. I got the impression the author only wanted sympathy from others (to help her feel better about taking wrong choices as ''they happen'') and wasn't too worried about how to write the book and edit it in a professional way. I might be wrong, but it doesn't seem too convincing to me. Thank you for the detailed review, I enjoyed reading it.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
Juliet Esther
Currently Reading: That place of knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-esther.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Juliet Esther »

i had to read the review when i saw the title, quiet a catchy one but after reading it now I'm a little reluctant to read the book itself, i like the fact that the author doesn't sugarcoat her experiences but there are also things like the lack of emotions and errors that i cant overlook. Nice review
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Ritikadalal
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Ritikadalal »

Beautifully described review. Makes me want to read the book. Thankyou for such a detailed review
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks IsabelMay, Ritikadalal, and Juliet Esther for the feedback. There aren't many errors in the book, although an extra round of editing would have helped. IsabelMay - I didn't get the impression that the author was looking for sympathy. I think she probably wrote the book as a cathartic experience.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Nice review! I don't like memoirs much and also the fact that you said that writing seems to be devoid of emotion is a turn off. Thanks for sharing your views.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”