Review by juliusotinyo -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Review by juliusotinyo -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by juliusotinyo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book, Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon is published by Iron Twine Press and printed in the USA. The story follows Tom and his personal quest to visit his grandfather's grave located deep in the wilderness of Olympic National Park. Before he departs with his two friends he's unexpectedly introduced to a granddaughter he didn't know existed, Sarah. A series of unfortunate events have led to this union and due to bad timing he reluctantly tags her along for the trip. Deep in the wilderness, Tom reveals his true intent, specifically the mystery surrounding the secret ancient artifact in his possession and it's? ties with his grandfather. A separate series of outlandish events concerning Sarah's disappearance, the involvement of third party interests on the artifact and family conflicts sets the stage for a gripping tale.

This seems to be a very well researched book. Set in location, the author describes the environment quite deeply throughout the book. Though sounding monotonous at times, I believe its part of the author's charm and success in creating a nearly cinematic scene as the tale unfolds.

The characters are also described quite well, creating a lasting impression. It starts with the background history of Tom and Sarah, told separately and progressively throughout the book. Especially the events leading to the current time and quest. Though less history is given of the other characters, their interaction throughout the tale builds on their significance and sometimes unique understanding of situations, people and environment. The unique blend of characters, scenes and plot twists has the markings of a good story and the author doesn't disappoint.

From the rebellious adolescent in Sarah, to the strong minded convictions of an aging man in Tom the author describes a common family scene familiar to most people. I personally found myself acknowledging Sarah. She was not only able to survive her frightening ordeal but even bested her more experienced outlandish captors in some areas in a relatively short time. A skill that would come in handy in the story.

I'd rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The book is themed on Amerindian history, time travel, nature and family relations. I was particularly drawn to the outlandish events as described by Sarah during her disappearance. That on its own would make for a thrilling novel. I'd recommend the book to anyone with a particular interest in history, however, graphic descriptions of animal attacks may put off some. A great book to read tucked under a tree, someplace in the woods.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like juliusotinyo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I have not yet read this book though i have read some reviews on it. You seem to have enjoyed reading it. Congrats to the author for getting 4 stars. Nice review. I will read this one.
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Favourite book iv read this far from this forum. Go for it, I just wish the author could right a purely historic tale. You'll see why
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Thank you juliusotinyo for the encouragement.
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Rosemary Okoko wrote:Thank you juliusotinyo for the encouragement.
You're​ welcome.
Jan Moraa Onsomu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 9266">Kite Runner</a>
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jan-moraa-onsomu.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Jan Moraa Onsomu »

Hey! I like your review and your diction! I recently read and reviewed Strong Heart myself and it's intriguing to know you liked it that much!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Quite a historical tale there judging from your review.I like the family based theme and challenges the characters face to stay together. This is something i can relate with and appreciate. Thanks Julius.
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Jan Moraa Onsomu wrote:Hey! I like your review and your diction! I recently read and reviewed Strong Heart myself and it's intriguing to know you liked it that much!
Thanks for compliments. I loved the book so much its good to see you did too. I am waiting to see your review and share. Thanks

-- 05 Aug 2017, 16:57 --
Andrew Kyalo wrote:Quite a historical tale there judging from your review.I like the family based theme and challenges the characters face to stay together. This is something i can relate with and appreciate. Thanks Julius.
Thanks "Chalo", its a good book. I hope you get to read it.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

Thanks for checking out my review.
This book seems to be a good read. A historical tale with a road trip.
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Izesicle wrote:Thanks for checking out my review.
This book seems to be a good read. A historical tale with a road trip.
Hi,
You're welcome. Thanks for stopping by.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

This is a great review. I'm glad you liked the book so much! I enjoyed it, though not quite as much. I found Sarah's journey a little difficult to wrap my head around.
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Mallory Whitaker wrote:This is a great review. I'm glad you liked the book so much! I enjoyed it, though not quite as much. I found Sarah's journey a little difficult to wrap my head around.
Hi Mallory,
Sarah's story was my favorite, I wish the whole book would have been about her trip. Was it the violence, characters that bored you?
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

juliusotinyo wrote: Hi Mallory,
Sarah's story was my favorite, I wish the whole book would have been about her trip. Was it the violence, characters that bored you?
I wouldn't say it bored me. Once I got the hang of who everyone was and what was happening in that story vein, I enjoyed it. I think if it was a story on its own, or was the most predominant part, I would have liked it better. It was more that it just didn't feel all that cohesive with the rest of the story. I guess I was just waiting for it the "how" to be explained more. I know that wouldn't bug everyone though. That's just me.
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Mallory Whitaker wrote:
juliusotinyo wrote: Hi Mallory,
I wouldn't say it bored me. Once I got the hang of who everyone was and what was happening in that story vein, I enjoyed it. I think if it was a story on its own, or was the most predominant part, I would have liked it better. It was more that it just didn't feel all that cohesive with the rest of the story. I guess I was just waiting for it the "how" to be explained more. I know that wouldn't bug everyone though. That's just me.
I think I get it. Like how she disappeared, what brought her back. I admit, I've been contemplating these scenes ever since.
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

this book's storyline reminds me of a movie I once watched a while back that had an almost similar storyline. I'm not too sure when the movie was produced, so I wouldn't say for sure that the movie was inspired by the book or the other way round. great review
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”