Official Review: Last Believer Chronicles 1: Chosen Child

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Official Review: Last Believer Chronicles 1: Chosen Child

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Last Believer Chronicles 1: Chosen Child" by Anilyn Shaw.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Last Believer Chronicles 1: Chosen Child by Anilyn Shaw is a Christian fantasy young adult novel where a young girl named Demona has her world turned upside down when her teacher, Demonica, starts to believe in God. Set in an apocalyptic world named Chanro, the story is told through Demona’s point of view.

Belittled since birth, Demona has only known abuse, terror, and fear. Her only ally is her older brother, Lucifer. Although Lucifer is the Next Runua (the next ruler of Chanro), he teaches her to read, write, and showers her with affection. However, when their forbidden relationship is exposed, Demona is outed as a Life Magic and is sentenced to live with her caste. As she becomes accustomed to her life as a Life Witch, a sudden unexpected event occurs that changes her life forever. As she struggles to overcome her internal and external struggles, she finds consolation in the one thing she swore she would never believe in, God.

When I first saw that this book was a mix between fantasy and Christianity, I was intrigued at the unique genre. Although I am Christian, I usually don’t read books under the Christian genre. So I wasn’t sure what to expect, but as I read the book, I found myself liking the mix between the two genres. I found the book to be mostly under the fantasy genre with bits and pieces of God and bible verses mixed in. I like how the author incorporated bible verses into her story as it flowed well with the narrative and made the struggles of the characters more believable.

Throughout the book, Demona goes through an internal struggle with listening and believing in God. Since she lives in a world where Satan rules, she struggles with accepting God as well as accepting her friends who have started to believe in God. However, I didn’t like Demona’s character because I found her to be too whiney and selfish. Her character didn’t really progress until the very last few chapters. I didn’t find her to be very relatable since she was almost always angry and cold toward the other characters in the book. The other secondary characters were more likable. I was surprised that Lucifer, who was supposed to be evil and cold hearted, was very kind towards Demona.

Since the book is split into two parts, the second part of the book features the name changes of a couple of characters. Four of the characters changed their names because they were made into new people after choosing to believe in God. I found this to be a bit confusing, but also an improvement because some of the names were too similar. For example, Demonica is similar to Demona.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. While I enjoyed the mix between fantasy and Christianity, I couldn’t really relate to the characters. I also came across a few grammatical errors, but they didn’t detract from the book. I would recommend this book to those who like to read Christian books or fantasy novels.

Last Believer Chronicles 1: Chosen Child
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds pretty interesting. I can see how the names being so similar would be confusing though. It almost reminds me of Hinds Feet on High Places. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

kandscreeley wrote:It sounds pretty interesting. I can see how the names being so similar would be confusing though. It almost reminds me of Hinds Feet on High Places. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for reading!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Dolphine
Currently Reading: Solid Stone
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Dolphine »

The characters involved speak all about the book,(Demona,Demonica and Lucifer) are all BIBLE characters.The book also helps grow spirutually.Thanks for the review.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

Dolphine wrote:The characters involved speak all about the book,(Demona,Demonica and Lucifer) are all BIBLE characters.The book also helps grow spirutually.Thanks for the review.
Thanks!
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

I'd call this one an 'exquisite abomination'. Thanks for the review, Zenalei7
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
mumoscar
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mumoscar.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Someday by M. Acen
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mumoscar »

The characters names put me off! Though i like christian books. Great review.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

LadyClaire wrote:I'd call this one an 'exquisite abomination'. Thanks for the review, Zenalei7
Thanks for reading!
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

I think this book sounds really interesting. I like the combination o fantasy and religion. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

Great review! I am not sure if this book is for me though. I love fantasy and I don't mind books with religion. It just doesn't seem like something that would hold my attention. Thanks!
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

Afuglsan wrote:I think this book sounds really interesting. I like the combination o fantasy and religion. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Thanks for reading!

-- 09 Aug 2017, 13:39 --
jemgirl202 wrote:Great review! I am not sure if this book is for me though. I love fantasy and I don't mind books with religion. It just doesn't seem like something that would hold my attention. Thanks!
Thanks for reading!
morde
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morde.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by morde »

The names gosh! Very symbolic. I think I might be intrigued by this, kinda liked the review.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

morde wrote:The names gosh! Very symbolic. I think I might be intrigued by this, kinda liked the review.
Thanks!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”