Official Review: The Deep Well of Time by Michael Dorer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: The Deep Well of Time by Michael Dorer

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Deep Well of Time" by Michael Dorer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Deep Well of Time: The Transformative Power of Storytelling in the Classroom is a great book written by master Montessori storyteller Michael Dorer.

With foreword by Paul Epstein, PhD, The Deep Well of Time is a book of stories and a book about how to tell stories to inspire, explain and motivate young children as is the practice in Montessori schools. The author explains how Montessori elementary teachers place great emphasis on storytelling as an essential tool of instruction as it utilizes the power of children’s creative imagination.

The book is divided into two parts. Part I is an elaborate discussion about Storytelling including definition, benefits of storytelling and the different kinds of stories that can be used in the classroom setting. Moreover, the author explains why we use stories, when should stories be offered and the role of a storyteller. Furthermore, the author gives valuable advice on effective way of telling stories from preparing to tell a story, telling the story and after telling the story. He also shares important pointers on how to create your own stories.

Part II is a collection of wonderful stories including The Great Lessons which explain how the universe, life and language came to be; Curriculum Stories for Language Arts, History and Mathematics; Personal Stories and Other Stories, some of which are written by the book author himself, while some are by other authors and are included in this book with permission. The book also features illustrations that go along with some stories including The Mural of Life and The Timeline of Life.

This is a great, amazing, well-written, well-researched and well-referenced book for teachers, school owners, school administrators, parents, children and anybody who loves stories and loves telling them. The author uses two different tones, both of them effective, in writing the book. The first part is written in academic tone common in textbooks and other reference materials. In the second part, the author uses his storyteller tone, less formal yet expressing a great deal of respect for the intelligence and imagination of his young audience, which I can imagine is very effective in reaching out to and getting the attention of children.

The stories included in the book are easy to comprehend and easy to relate to in addition to being entertaining and amusing making the otherwise complicated and profound lessons very interesting like The First Great Lesson: The Story of the Universe. The stories I find the most amusing are The Piece of Paper that Sees and Speaks, which portrays the importance of reading, and The Love Story of the Lines, which differentiates divergent lines from parallel and convergent lines. The ones I find the most enlightening are Measuring the Farm which simplifies how to measure area and Discovery of Soap which gives an ordinary thing found in the house an extraordinary story. I also love the personal stories shared by the author. More than amusing and entertaining, the stories teach the children to be thankful for what they have.

I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Though I noticed some typo errors (like shows the all of the pieces and which can obtained by) they are thankfully too few to detract from the enjoyment of reading the book. I recommend it to teachers, school administrators and parents around the world.

The Deep Well of Time
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Sounds like a great book. There was a book that one of my teachers in high school read that helped build vocabulary. It was really cool. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Book seems helpful . Thank you for such a nice review
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

Great review, Kimmy. Education of children is certainly the most important and should be handled with skill.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Thanks for your review, I like this. I will gonna check it out. Nice review and this book might a bit helpful since I'm teaching children on the streets.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

As a teacher, this sounds like something that needs to be in my collection of books.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Gratey12
Currently Reading: Marvel Science Stories Nov 1950
Bookshelf Size: 588
Reading Device: B00P93430Q

Post by Gratey12 »

Narratives telling something about life become more forceful when done in the form of stories. Stories help the mind to remember related thoughts.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

This book sounds very informative, I am a preschool teacher and this book sounds like an interesting read to help me further my career.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”