Official Review: Baggage by Dana Turk

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Official Review: Baggage by Dana Turk

Post by va2016 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Baggage" by Dana Turk.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a review of the book Baggage! by Dana L. Turk. The book is a historical fiction. The story is about a group of college students who enroll with the United States military and how they end up in life. The book is suitable for the mature audience.

It is the time of the Vietnam War. Young men of America are coming back home in caskets. Many in the United States are furious about the loss of their loved ones in the war. Protests are going on in many cities. A group of college students join the military hoping that they would get assigned to noncombatant positions so that they could earn a decent living. The reader is motivated to find out what happens next.

The initial chapters of the story cover the final year college life, the students' fun get-togethers, getting to know each other, etc. In this portion of the story, the narration is pretty passive with no depth. I also didn’t like the introduction of too many characters all at once. It confused me and made it difficult for me to remember all the character names and make sense of the story.

The story becomes much easier to understand and picks up momentum after a group of students go to the military offices to get enrolled. There are several tasteful sections in the narration like the Marines induction program, details about how a platoon is formed, war tools and the terminology, pointers to historical information about the Vietnam War, etc. The note that says “Physiologists have often pondered the psyche of the U. S. Marine that creates a person who can kill swiftly with one hand while caress lovingly with the other. This is the result of the Marine training” is worth a mention. The ‘Terms’ section that provides details about the various military terms used in the book, and the ‘Reference’ section that has information sources about the Vietnam War and the United States Marines are useful.

The intense war scenes in the story have been depicted well. The fact that life is so brief and anything can happen in a span of just 10 minutes is conscientiously portrayed. The roles that the youngsters play in the Vietnam War have been beautifully described. The feelings of their parents, girlfriends and their wives are delicately explained. There’s a narration of a ferocious speech by a student against United States’ participation in the Vietnam War. The readers would thoroughly enjoy the many instances of humor in the story.

There are questions titled “What If” at the end of each chapter through which the characters ponder how it would have been if they had taken a different course in their lives. These questions are unimpressive. These could be rephrased to make them evoke strong feelings in the reader. There are several mechanical errors in the book, like wrong or missing punctuations (“boy’s” should be “boys’” on Page 86), incomplete sentences, wrong article usages, wrong word usages, spelling mistakes (“buses” spelled as “busses” on Page 138), wrong capitalizations (“miracle” written as “Miracle” on Page 141), etc.

Overall, I found this book enjoyable for young adults and people who would like to know about life during the days of the Vietnam War. I found the storytelling ordinary in the first half, although the story picks up momentum in the second half. There are several mechanical errors in the book which could have been avoided by thorough proofreading. I feel this is a good book for a weekend read. I could have rated this book a 2 out of 4 stars, but giving credit to the author’s research of the Vietnam War times, I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars.

Baggage
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like va2016's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I'm glad to hear the author did a lot of research when writing this book. It makes the book more authentic and educational for its readers.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like there are a lot of good points about this book. It sounds like there's some good information as well. Thanks for a good review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

I'm taking the reviewers advice on this book especially because it would provide me an opportunity to learn about Vietnam war. I enjoy reading books on history. thanks for the review
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Aimy
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimy.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Aimy »

We don't normally realize that anything can happen any second. Stories like this make us conscious of this fact that a life is actually so unpredictable.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
rs1977
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rs1977.html
Latest Review: The Composition of Honey by J. L. Brandenburg

Post by rs1977 »

A period fiction in the times of Vietnam war coupled with military procedure related terminology and war would be a deadly combo to read, I guess.
Reuben 92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Bookshelf Size: 827
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reuben-92.html
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg

Post by Reuben 92 »

I don't know if this would be quite my cup of tea but your review was really detailed and well done. It does sound like a well-researched and believable book!
"Every reader is, while he is reading, the reader of his own self. The writer's work is merely a kind of optical instrument which he offers to the reader to enable him to discern what...he would perhaps never have perceived in himself."
Proust
Latest Review: "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

The premise behind the book is quite intriguing. Historical fiction entwined ef with interesting life choices is my cup of tea. Would love to add it to my TBR list. Thanks for the enlightening review.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A military fiction revolving around a group of high school friends who joined the Marines, covers their lives before, during, and after the Vietnam war sounds intriguing. Hopefully, the few several mechanical errors were fixed by now. Not for me, but I am glad you enjoyed the story despite its flaws. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

Baggage by Dana Turk depicts a narrative story about what went on during the Vietnam war. It gives the reader an in-depth summary of what these Marines do for their country even when they cannot take credit for any of their successes. I believe the author should be given thumbs up for a job well done despite some grammar inaccuracies and to va2016, this is a beautiful review!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a historical fiction novel about the vietnam war with themes like friendship, war, anger, military, and desperation. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has an inciteful OnlineBookClub review. I rated it 3 out of 4 stars. Congrats @DanaTyrk for the BOTD.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Thank you for your details, but this isn't my cup of tea. Marine life and what really happened in the Vietnam war is a critical topic, and at times, never ending.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
safah26121990
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-safah26121990.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by safah26121990 »

This sounds emotional and real; as if it delves into depth, on the results of war. I would love to read this.
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by abbiejoice »

Maybe this book can be enjoyed by those interested in joining the military. They may be able to learn things they need to consider if they decide to take that path.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I have mixed feelings about this book. The Vietnam war took place in a time period of social change that interests me a lot: civil rights, feminism, pacifism were all booming. However, I think this book is more much focused on the battle and training aspect, and I'm not sure if it has a more complex and interesting approach for me. I think the "what if" idea is great if it was better developed.
A very analytic review, thank you.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”