Review by juliusotinyo -- Border Post 99 by Kedar Patankar

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Review by juliusotinyo -- Border Post 99 by Kedar Patankar

Post by juliusotinyo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Border post 99: No man’s land is a novel by Kedar Patankar. It was published by Global Mind Publishing. Human conflict is like the proverbial serpent that is eats its own tail; in the process of eliminating a problem within our society through warfare it only serves to destroy us. This is properly captured in the phrase by Dadajaal, “…never delve into hatred and anger…you will be wasting your time and hurting your mind.” The fictional story about love and hate is set in March 2011.

The tale is about 2 soldiers; a Pakistani and an Indian based in illegal border posts in no man's land. Lieutenant Mangesh Sharma is a fresh recruit from the Indian Military Academy. His first posting is in a remote region in no man’s land between India’s Jammu and Pakistan’s Kashmir, dubbed Border Post 99. He initially hates the assignment due to the remoteness of the region and the compounded danger of being alone in case of an enemy attack. He lives in a constant state of vigilance driven by prejudices against his enemy. He finds peace after a while and even begins to enjoy the serenity of the place.

Captain Abid Khan is a relatively more experienced Pakistani soldier. He has served for 9 years and had several postings in a multitude of terrain and is now weary of conflict. He takes his posting more positively as a chance to relax and reflect. His peace is however disturbed when the 2 soldiers meet at a stream separating the two territories. The immediate tension between them is evident by how they react to each other. Driven by their prejudices, they cautiously engage each other over a period of weeks in mock prank attacks as direct confrontation is prohibited by a cease-fire order by their respective superiors. The pranks progressively rise in intensity, from fouling pistols to ingenious life threatening traps. In the course of these games, they come to find out about their secret ties; which include Sharma’s hometown in India. However, their new found appreciation of each other is tested when the Indian military chooses to attack the Pakistani base.

This book touched on classical concepts of warfare; hatred and prejudice. The author weaves a humorous tale on how the 2 soldiers treat each other with contempt borne out of years of prejudice. How the two come to terms and finally cooperate was a great plot twist. Allowing the author’s message to be clearly conveyed; that love trumps over hated and prejudice is always driven by baseless fears.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It was a short and easy read, the message was concise and thought provoking and can be used as a guide in calming tensions especially between spiteful neighbors, like India and Pakistan, who have a common ancestry. I agreed with this message fully and the interesting story. I would recommend this book to everyone other than the most sensitive of readers or children as there’s quite some cursing involved. There were no grammar errors worth noting.

Border Post 99
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like juliusotinyo's review? Post a comment saying so!
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

This book is one I really want to read, it's been recieving rave reviews.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

The review is very good. I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for the review.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Hi ritah,
Its a quick and exciting read. I loved it

-- 07 Aug 2017, 19:03 --
Naval Aulakh wrote:The review is very good. I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for the review.
Hi Naval,
Thanks for stopping by and your kind words.
Ayosinmi
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayosinmi.html
Latest Review: "A Nation Divided" by Anthony R. Flagg

Post by Ayosinmi »

Very nice review dear. Do you know that I have been itching to read this book for a while. But your review will make me read it very soon.
So what happens when they got attacked? Did they pick different sides? I guess I have to find out from the book. Well done dear
Lord, protect me from my friends; I can take care of my enemies.
Voltaire, 1694-1778
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Ayosinmi wrote:Very nice review dear. Do you know that I have been itching to read this book for a while. But your review will make me read it very soon.
So what happens when they got attacked? Did they pick different sides? I guess I have to find out from the book. Well done dear
Hi,
Thanks for your comments. I believe am not supposed to offer any spoilers. Grab the book, you will enjoy it. Besides, you can finish it in like 3 hours tops.
Ayosinmi
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayosinmi.html

Post by Ayosinmi »

Hahahahahahahahaha. Indeed. I will get a copy and read it. Cheers
Lord, protect me from my friends; I can take care of my enemies.
Voltaire, 1694-1778
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I have heard so many great things about this book and loved your review! I will be adding it to my shelves!
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Ayosinmi wrote:Hahahahahahahahaha. Indeed. I will get a copy and read it. Cheers
Please do, I'll read your review. Cheers.

-- 08 Aug 2017, 21:12 --
jemgirl202 wrote:I have heard so many great things about this book and loved your review! I will be adding it to my shelves!
Thanks, have a look at it. I await to read your review
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Thanks for your review. I wanna check this book. You made a very nice review. This book really sound interesting.
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Jem Tomarong wrote:Thanks for your review. I wanna check this book. You made a very nice review. This book really sound interesting.
It really is interesting, Jem. Have a look and let me know.
Jeremie Mondejar
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Thanks because it is also a short book. As what you said ,it is easy to read. Thanks for your honest review.
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Anytime Jem, anytime..
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I feel this book serves as a lesson to everyone in maintaining peace. These two countries always had a rough time since 1947 . Thank you for such a nice review
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
juliusotinyo

Post by juliusotinyo »

Darakhshan Nazir wrote:I feel this book serves as a lesson to everyone in maintaining peace. These two countries always had a rough time since 1947 . Thank you for such a nice review
I believe these problems were as a result of 1000's of years. During my time in India,I asked many old charges I met about this conflict and almost all of them stated the issue about the Muslim invasion after the rule of Genghis Khan (now, thats quite a while back!). Historical injustices centered on religion, I think.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”