Official Review: I Was A Yo-Yo Wife...Until I Learned THIS

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Official Review: I Was A Yo-Yo Wife...Until I Learned THIS

Post by ananya92 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Was A Yo-Yo Wife...Until I Learned THIS" by Vivian Probst.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I Was a Yo-Yo Wife…Until I Learnt THIS by Vivian Probst is a book in the non-fiction genre. It is more in the nature of a semi-autobiographical account where the author narrates her journey, to aid those trying to overcome roadblocks in their relationships.

Briefly, the author was brought up expecting to fit in a missionary style of life. The marital discord between her parents adversely shaped her attitude towards life and herself. Added to that, the author’s first marriage didn’t turn out as she hoped, leading to a divorce, and separation from her kids as well. Fate arranged for the author to meet her second husband, however, unfortunately for the author issues came up in her second marriage too. How does she defeat these issues, rediscover herself, and resurrect her marriage?

“Did you know that the National Center for Disease Control and Prevention keeps track of marriage and divorce statistics? I don’t find that encouraging—do you? They also monitor statistics on disease and epidemics, which could suggest that if marriage is a “disease,” divorce would be its fatal consequence.” This illuminating observation is the focal point of the book, because the author helps the reader to cure the hiccups in a relationship.

Much of this book reads like fiction, as the author’s takes the reader through the various emotional encounters in her life. This was an important aspect of the writing style, because the author conveys much of her advice using her life experiences as an example. This is quite useful, as it helps the reader relate with her experiences and learn from her example.

The pattern of the book is pretty straightforward. The book is divided into three parts, which are further subdivided into several chapters. Each chapter begins with a quote either by the author herself or by someone else. The author also provides relevant material from other sources, to give the readers an in-depth insight. The first part is largely the narrative section where the author brings the reader up to speed with her life history. The second part is the crucial section where the author explains what she calls the ‘Magnificent Seven Wonders of the Inner World’, and how the reader should go about rediscovering themselves, healing themselves, developing a new outlook to life, and then finally apply these changes to their relationship. The third part looks at the how to preserve the lesson and continue applying it in their lives.

Much of the book revolves around the author emphasizing on ‘THIS’. Throughout the book, the author writes about ‘THIS’, but she never exactly spells it out for the readers. ‘THIS’ is not a well-defined solution which the author proposes; instead it’s a way of overcoming the barriers to a healthy relationship which the author mentions. For example, how an individual should stop blaming oneself, recognize the ‘orphans’ or the problems which are suppressed within oneself, and not let other’s opinions affect our opinion of ourselves.

While the book was engaging, I felt that there were portions where the author is going around in circles. As a guide, the author could have put forward her viewpoint in an uncomplicated manner. There are portions where the reader would appreciate what the author is saying, but at the same time would be confused as to how apply it in their lives.

According to the author, “a Yo-Yo wife is a woman who gives up and leaves a committed relationship for a wide variety of reasons. Then she comes back.” The author’s experience of how she stopped being a Yo-Yo wife is worth a read, and readers who are encountering similar issues in their lives, should definitely give this one a try. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

I Was A Yo-Yo Wife...Until I Learned THIS
View: on Bookshelves

Like ananya92's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Sounds like this book offers good advice, its a shame that the author was vague about what THIS is. Thank you for your review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Tianakellefox
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tianakellefox »

Briefly, the author was brought up expecting to fit in a missionary style of life. The marital discord between her parents adversely shaped her attitude towards life and herself. Added to that, the author’s first marriage didn’t turn out as she hoped, leading to a divorce, and separation from her kids as well. Fate arranged for the author to meet her second husband, however, unfortunately for the author issues came up in her second marriage too. How does she defeat these issues, rediscover herself, and resurrect her marriage?

“Did you know that the National Center for Disease Control and Prevention keeps track of marriage and divorce statistics? I don’t find that encouraging—do you? They also monitor statistics on disease and epidemics, which could suggest that if marriage is a “disease,” divorce would be its fatal consequence.” This illuminating observation is the focal point of the book, because the author helps the reader to cure the hiccups in a relationship.

Much of this book reads like fiction, as the author’s takes the reader through the various emotional encounters in her life. This was an important aspect of the writing style, because the author conveys much of her advice using her life experiences as an example. This is quite useful, as it helps the reader relate with her experiences and learn from her example.

The pattern of the book is pretty straightforward. The book is divided into three parts, which are further subdivided into several chapters. Each chapter begins with a quote either by the author herself or by someone else. The author also provides relevant material from other sources, to give the readers an in-depth insight. The first part is largely the narrative section where the author brings the reader up to speed with her life history. The second part is the crucial section where the author explains what she calls the ‘Magnificent Seven Wonders of the Inner World’, and how the reader should go about rediscovering themselves, healing themselves, developing a new outlook to life, and then finally apply these changes to their relationship. The third part looks at the how to preserve the lesson and continue applying it in their lives.

Much of the book revolves around the author emphasizing on ‘THIS’. Throughout the book, the author writes about ‘THIS’, but she never exactly spells it out for the readers. ‘THIS’ is not a well-defined solution which the author proposes; instead it’s a way of overcoming the barriers to a healthy relationship which the author mentions. For example, how an individual should stop blaming oneself, recognize the ‘orphans’ or the problems which are suppressed within oneself, and not let other’s opinions affect our opinion of ourselves.

While the book was engaging, I felt that there were portions where the author is going around in circles. As a guide, the author could have put forward her viewpoint in an uncomplicated manner. There are portions where the reader would appreciate what the author is saying, but at the same time would be confused as to how apply it in their lives.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Everyone could use a little bit of relationship advice, but I don't think this one is for me. Thanks for the review, though. Very nice.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
odus akpan
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odus-akpan.html
Latest Review: "Breaking Sandcastles" by Kirk Burris

Post by odus akpan »

The review is good. I need to read book for a better understanding.
Latest Review: "Breaking Sandcastles" by Kirk Burris
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Thank you for such a nice review .. Book seems worth reading.
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I read a similar book in this format. It's always disappointing when it seems promising but then the advice is too vague. Maybe we can't be shown but have to find the answer ourselves.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Dolphine
Currently Reading: Solid Stone
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Dolphine »

From the review, the book has advice for marriage life and daily life,going to read it to learn more.Thanks fir the review.
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

'THIS' is really interesting and should be given more attention. Thanks for reading and sharing, Ananya.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Thank you for your review, it is very nice. That book is a bit source of marital advices. For in today's generation marriage is attack by the devil. But if God is the center in marriage, love is there.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

Interesting. I'm curious to see if the author goes further into being a "yo-yo wife." I'm not sure I fully understand the concept.
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Very nice review! I am curious to know , what author means by 'THIS'.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Gifty Naa Akushia
Currently Reading: HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-naa-akushia.html
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Gifty Naa Akushia »

I was a Yo-Yo wife promises to be a life saver for modern day relationships especially marriages.
Latest Review: "Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice" by Morton E.Tavel
Onyinyechukwu
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechukwu.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Onyinyechukwu »

A blend of narration and lesson giving. It can be frustating to be told seemingly the answer to your problem and not knowing how to use it. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

A good review on an increasingly fragile portion of our human interactions and relationships. However the use of the word YO-YO feels unnecessary and vague. Unless the author has an underlying meaning or meant to convey an emerging concept that is currently not being addressed in whichever media.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”