Official Review: Behind Broken Glass Walls

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Behind Broken Glass Walls

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Behind Broken Glass Walls" by N. M. Aaroones.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever read a book that sticks with you for days or weeks after you finish it? Have there been books that you have finished that you have to stop and process before you begin another one? Behind Broken Glass Walls by N. M. Aaroones is such a book.

Oceana is a single, working mother trying to raise her teenager daughter Drachea. Her ex-husband gets visitation days only on Sundays. Unfortunately, high school is no walk in the park. Drachea doesn't feel like she fits in, and she has the misfortune to become a target for the jocks in the school. You see, she doesn't dress like they think she should. She doesn't act like they think she should. She's an easy target, and they bully her at least twice a week. Her only friend is a girl named Emmalynne who doesn't quite fit in either. One day the boys go too far; Drachea snaps. She formulates a plan to get back the pieces of her soul that were stolen from her.

Behind Broken Glass Walls is not an easy story to read. There is abuse – verbal, physical and sexual. There are no puppy dogs and rainbows; in fact, the mood is downright melancholy most of the time. Yet, nothing is overdone. In the note to readers at the beginning of the book, the author herself states that there is nothing graphic that is not necessary to the plot – and I agree.

The characters are realistic. I felt their pain and anguish. I cried when they cried and hurt when they hurt. The author uses a third person omniscient voice, so that the reader is able to understand what everyone feels and sees. I had no trouble figuring out who was talking even in this perspective because the author uses this voice masterfully.

There was one flaw in this book. I hesitate to mention it for fear that it will keep someone from reading the book. Let me state first that this book is so powerful, I urge you to overlook this flaw and read it anyway. I don't normally say that; but, in this instance, it is necessary. Throughout the book, the author tends to switch back and forth between calling the main character him and her. This happened more than a few times. I did, also, spot some other grammatical errors that led me to believe this might not have been professionally edited.

Due to those grammatical issues, I am forced to rate the novel 3 out of 4 stars. However, I strongly urge everyone to pick up this book. Despite the nature of the book, the content would be suitable for anyone high school aged and up. This is a great conversation starter for those with teenage children. This isn't only for parents and their children, though; the strong message against violence, bullying and preconceived notions is one that we would all do well to learn from. I hope that it changes your heart as I know it has changed mine.

Behind Broken Glass Walls
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

Great review, Kandscreely. As soon as I saw the book cover, I had no doubt that the book invokes certain feelings of sadness, even of sorrow for the characters unjustly treated. I agree that compared to its content, the grammatical errors are somewhat insignificant.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This book sounds very intriguing and powerful. Definitely a most read for a YA audience as they see Drachea try to put her life back together.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks lady Claire. I really recommend this book to all.

Amagine... This one might surprise you. Definitely with a read.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I find abuse storylines too disturbing to read, so I don't think this book is for me. It's certainly an odd error for the author to switch between calling a character him and her.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Bookowlie- it really isn't extremely graphic. It's more like you know something is going on by telling rather than graphic details. If that makes any sense. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

Interesting. I don't mind graphic scenes in a book, as long as it contributes something in its theme and development. I too am not a fan of senseless violence. Maybe I'll give this book a read.
-rk
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Your review has piqued my curiosity. I am definitely going to read this book.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

From your review,this sounds like a captivating book to read.This is from the perspective of the main character being a teenager who has to overcome seemingly insurmountable odds, and all by herself. It is a story line i can identify with,for i have being a victim of bullying and bigotry. It is a positive book which promises the reader that the power of change is all within us,what we need is just a change of attitude.This is a great review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

raikyuu wrote:Interesting. I don't mind graphic scenes in a book, as long as it contributes something in its theme and development. I too am not a fan of senseless violence. Maybe I'll give this book a read.
It's really not graphic per se, but the themes are there. It's worth a read for sure.

-- 05 Aug 2017, 08:02 --
The Researcher wrote:Your review has piqued my curiosity. I am definitely going to read this book.
I strongly encourage you to read this. If you do, let me know what you think.

-- 05 Aug 2017, 08:03 --
Andrew Kyalo wrote:From your review,this sounds like a captivating book to read.This is from the perspective of the main character being a teenager who has to overcome seemingly insurmountable odds, and all by herself. It is a story line i can identify with,for i have being a victim of bullying and bigotry. It is a positive book which promises the reader that the power of change is all within us,what we need is just a change of attitude.This is a great review.
Thanks Andrew. Just don't get the wrong idea. It's not necessarily an uplifting encouraging type book. It is very dark. It's worth reading though.
—Neil Gaiman
lavio4
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavio4.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by lavio4 »

Great Review!! Looking forward to giving this book a try. Ive been looking to reading something a little more serious and this one looks interesting.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks lavio4. If you read it, let me know what you think about it.
—Neil Gaiman
alwaysdaddygirl
Currently Reading: The Alienation of Courtney Hoffman
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysdaddygirl.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01DAJTINW

Post by alwaysdaddygirl »

lavio4 wrote:Great Review!! Looking forward to giving this book a try. Ive been looking to reading something a little more serious and this one looks interesting.

I agree it a good review! I spent 12 plus years in domestic abuse, friends in it, friends out of it, and one friend killed it. I been through other paths of the criminal justice field as well. Life could be worst. Mahalo for the warning! I do not want to read a book and have a trigger. Most domestic abuser surviors like me, like a warning. If warned, I read the book. One can never have enough healing from swimming in Hades. Many have it worst.

Again, Kudos!

??
"Death ends a life, not a relationship."
Mitch Albom
🦋
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm so sorry to hear that alwaysdaddysgirl. I'm glad that you overcame and survived though. There definitely needs to be more of an awareness and a willingness to do something.
—Neil Gaiman
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

The review is very good. I enjoyed reading it ?
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”