Official Review: The Underground: Second Edition

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Official Review: The Underground: Second Edition

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Underground: Second Edition" by Roxanne Bland.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Underground: Second Edition by Roxanne Bland is a dark fantasy novel. Set in a world filled with wereanimals, witches, and vampires, the story is told in the third person perspective through various characters.

Parker, a werewolf, is devastated after watching the woman he loves, Garrett, become entranced with Seattle’s master vampire, Kurt. As he struggles to overcome his grief, he meets an alien named Melera who may or may not be the serial killer menacing Seattle. Garrett, who is also a mage, wants Parker to join her in her quest to rule over Seattle. However, Parker wants nothing to with her, but when an unexpected event occurs, he discovers a shocking secret. As Parker unwillingly falls in love with Melera, he encounters many dangers as he struggles to prove Melera’s innocence.

I think the best part about this book was the characters. Each character was pivotal to the plot. Not one of the characters sounded the same, and the characterizations of each character were different. Even with the human side and wolf side of Parker, the author manages to create two different personalities of the same person. The author also does a good job in developing the background information for each character. However, there wasn’t any character progression except for Parker. Parker goes from hating Kurt and Garrett to feeling indifferent of their relationship with one another.

The author does a great job in building the suspense, and there were some surprising twists to the plot. There were many subplots that were integrated into the main storyline which made them complex, but interesting. While the plot had enough suspense to keep me interested, the ending was very abrupt. The ending left a few questions unanswered, and it didn't wrap up the story nicely.

There were a few grammatical errors, but they didn’t detract from the book. However, there were many graphic scenes, so I wouldn’t recommend this book to younger readers. These graphic scenes include profanity, violence, and multiple sex scenes. This book is listed under sci-fi/fantasy, but with the amount of adult content in the book, I think it is better suited under the erotic and romance genre. Although I did know that this book included a lot of adult content, the amount of sex scenes that I came across were staggering.

Overall, I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. Although the characters were well rounded and the plot was suspenseful, the abrupt ending plus the disturbing amount of graphic scenes causes me to take away one star. I recommend this book to those who like to read dark fantasy or erotic books.

The Underground: Second Edition
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

Nice review, congrats! However, the world of fantasy holds little attraction for me. The book would appeal to lovers of this genre. It appears quite imaginatively crafted with all the intrigues written into the setting and characters of this dark world of vampires, werewolves and the likes.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

KlareAllison wrote:Nice review, congrats! However, the world of fantasy holds little attraction for me. The book would appeal to lovers of this genre. It appears quite imaginatively crafted with all the intrigues written into the setting and characters of this dark world of vampires, werewolves and the likes.
Thank you!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Yeah... that's why I didn't review this one. It just seemed like it was going to be over the top. I enjoy a good science fiction, but I don't think it's necessary to put all that extra in there. Still, thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

Great review! I really enjoy fantasy novels, especially if they are interesting and unique in their own way.
Joyce Nyarondia
Currently Reading: The Underground: Second Edition
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Joyce Nyarondia »

A message is well said I real admire it
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

kandscreeley wrote:Yeah... that's why I didn't review this one. It just seemed like it was going to be over the top. I enjoy a good science fiction, but I don't think it's necessary to put all that extra in there. Still, thanks for the review.
Thanks!

-- 01 Aug 2017, 11:39 --
jemgirl202 wrote:Great review! I really enjoy fantasy novels, especially if they are interesting and unique in their own way.
Thank you!
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Thanks for your review! I am always glad to find out that a particular book just isn't for me :D This one with all the adult scenes definitely is one I would set aside.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:Thanks for your review! I am always glad to find out that a particular book just isn't for me :D This one with all the adult scenes definitely is one I would set aside.
Thanks for reading!
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

The story line is cool and it could well be a rendition of the Underworld in black and white,anyways, I will skip this one because of the explicit scenes. Thanks for the review, Zenalei7.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

LadyClaire wrote:The story line is cool and it could well be a rendition of the Underworld in black and white,anyways, I will skip this one because of the explicit scenes. Thanks for the review, Zenalei7.
Thanks for reading!
kinsonkahihu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kinsonkahihu »

" the title of the book clearly says it all its a unique book to read

-- 01 Aug 2017, 22:58 --
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

kinsonkahihu wrote:" the title of the book clearly says it all its a unique book to read-
Yes it is a unique book to read.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Yikes... I steer away from books with graphic scenes, so I don't think I will read this. Thanks for the great review though.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

Kelebogile Mbangi wrote:Yikes... I steer away from books with graphic scenes, so I don't think I will read this. Thanks for the great review though.
Thanks for reading!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”