Official Review: "Rough Cut"

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: "Rough Cut"

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of ""Rough Cut"" by Alan Ageloff.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rough Cut is an autobiography of Alan "Ag" Ageloff's life. Although he spent time in the military and in real estate, the pages flow with his main inspiration: the film business. From a young age Alan worked in the film industry, working his way up into becoming a professional editor with enough esteem and skill to start his own business in New York and call the shots for himself.

Alan's love of film is shown in numerous ways throughout the book. Not only is a large part of the autobiography focused on his film days, he uses numerous film-related metaphors and phrases throughout the book. He also often "turns to the camera" to explain what was going on in a particular moment, bringing to mind famous asides or monologues from movies like Ferris Bueller's Day Off or Blazing Saddles. It's clear Alan has a fondness for film even today, and that passion is awesome to see.

The stories and characters in the book ranged from totally relatable to totally wild. For example, we can all relate to having a job where it's just completely impossible to move up the ladder no matter how good of an employee we are, like Alan with his early work in film. Many of us also can relate to a job where we're forced to work off the clock to get a job done, as Alan did to edit a ridiculous amount of film into a narrative. But maybe we haven't all cold-called a low-level, possibly-schizophrenic mobster on the run from the police to list his home for sale, or found out our business partner had over $100,000 worth of drugs that they were using to get business!

Despite some rather fascinating stories, they were few and far between. I really feel like the book would've worked better as a collection of short stories than one long one. While Alan shows some tremendous skill at times with his phrasing and there's some great humor in the book, there are other moments that jump ahead wildly or fail to set up what's going on to such an extent that I had whole paragraphs where I had no idea what exactly was going on. There are also dialogue scenes where it isn't specified who's talking on each line, but then it seems like the same person speaks in two separate lines in a row, making it impossible to know who's actually speaking each line. Worst of all, the last story (one of the best ones, and easily the craziest) literally had another story right in the middle of it without anything to show that's what was going on!

Rough Cut was a perfectly fitting title for Alan's autobiography. It's put together, it makes sense (for the most part), but it could have used a lot more polish. There were grammatical errors throughout the book, scenes weren't always set up in a way that made sense and sometimes it just moved too fast. With some more attention and editing (something Alan is a master of!) the book could be excellent. While I'd give it 1.5 stars if I could, there are enough interesting stories to make my official rating 2 out of 4 stars. If you're interested in the film industry in the 1950s and 1960s (maybe more, but the author doesn't really specify time), Rough Cut may be something you should check out.

"Rough Cut"
View: on Bookshelves

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
BookishBookkeeping
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishbookkeeping.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BookishBookkeeping »

Sounds like the book matched perfectly with the title. Hopefully, the author will polish the book up more because this does sound like a really good read about film and life in that industry. Great job on the review!
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Riki
Currently Reading: Middlesex
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riki.html
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey

Post by Riki »

The novel does sound super interesting, and I think the autobiographical bits in the film business would be a real treat. I have little to no experience with the film industry, so reading about it seems very intriguing. Also, love that title! Fits the novel perfectly.
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey
kimonyimumo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kimonyimumo »

Nice educatice piece of writing
SAUD NAWAB
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by SAUD NAWAB »

its wonderful
BestReviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2">Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bestreviews.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by BestReviews »

I wish there were more than 24 hours in a day. I need a lot of time to read all these books. This book is a must read, but it has to wait for a while. Thank you for your review.
BestReviews
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
timmyjossy
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by timmyjossy »

Its cool
SAUD NAWAB
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by SAUD NAWAB »

Its good

-- 06 Jul 2017, 07:11 --

books reading is a wonderful hobby

-- 06 Jul 2017, 07:12 --

i want to read more books to increase my knowledge
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

CataclysmicKnight wrote: Rough Cut was a perfectly fitting title for Alan's autobiography. It's put together, it makes sense (for the most part), but it could have used a lot more polish.
This, I like. Sadly, there isn't a chance for Rough Cut to be polished further. Its fate now rests on the readers. Good review.
-rk
Akunne blessing
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Akunne blessing »

"Rough Cut is a spell-binder, but not for delicate sensibilities. When honesty demands the naked, even crude revelation, McCullough meets the demand. And he is a terrific story-teller." For those who liked " Double Indemnity", and " The Postman Always Rings Twice".
Interesting in a way.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, since the film industry isn't really all that appealing to me, I think I'll skip this. It doesn't sound like a great read as it was only rated 2 out of 4 stars. Thanks for the review, though. Another one I know to avoid.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”