Review by Rosemary Okoko -- The Expelled by Mois Benarroch

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Review by Rosemary Okoko -- The Expelled by Mois Benarroch

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Expelled
By Mois Benarroch

Writers’ lives are so boring that the only thing that saves them from boredom is making up stories like young children who create imaginary friends and give them names to fill their world. These are the words of Mois Benarroch, the author of The Expelled. This book is a non-fiction narrative that has some touch of romance. The author uses ‘he’ and ‘she’ interchangeably as his characters change from ‘he’ to ‘she’. The author gives a narration of a bus ride he took. The people seated at the back were referred to as ‘back people’ and those in front as ‘front people’. Front people hated back people so much that they could not allow them to use the ‘can’ which was another name for the washroom. A boundary line had to be drawn in the middle to separate them. Back people were regarded as dirty, smelly and violent, by the front people. As using the ‘can’ was a necessity, back people complained and front people decided that they could only use it at specific hours. The author was sitting at the back. When sleeping, there was a gunshot and he woke up to find that Cash, the fifteen year old boy who had been sitting next to him, had been shot dead. Nobody owned up to killing him even though one passenger had a gun in his hands. This passenger with a gun was one of the front people. The front people made the decision on how to get rid of Cash’s body and proceed with the journey. They gave him the name Saint Cash, prayed for him and later offered prayers to him. They also blamed him for any shortcomings, attributing this to the fact that he was murdered.

The author, having moved with his family from Morocco, was living in Israel. Here, anyone from Morocco was regarded uneducated and violent. They were looked down upon and whenever the author tried to prove that he was from Morocco even by showing his identity card, people would not believe it and wondered why he was different and nice. The author says that in order to stop being different, he had to stop being born in Morocco, something that no one knows how to do yet, and if anyone knows, they have not shared it. At one time he decided that he was from France and even hated a Moroccan poet who declared openly that he was from Morocco. After a while, the author changed his perception and decided to like this author and even make it known that he himself was from Morocco. He lived as a recluse, a leper and an expelled.

The author’s story of the bus is reflective of the oppression his people faced in Israel. The expelled were not allowed to make decisions. ‘The front people throw stones. When the back people throw them back they call us terrorists though back people were opposed to stone throwing because it didn’t seem humane to them’. This summarizes the feelings of the author as one of the expelled. I liked this book because you have to jog your mind and put two and two together to understand the story.

I enjoyed reading this book which has undergone professional editing. A few errors on spacing could be blamed on the format. Having read other books by this author, I find this book the easiest to understand and will rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I have no reason to rate it lower.

I recommend this book to anyone who would like to read on oppression and identity crisis. When looked down upon, you might get tempted to change your identity so as to be accepted by those who hate you. This book contains some explicit content.

The Expelled
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Rosemary Okoko's review? Post a comment saying so!
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

Thanks for the review. It sounds like a thought provoking book and perhaps a difficult and challenging read.
peace starts with a smile...
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Thank you Snowflake for reading and commenting. It sure is a challenging read.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, Rosemary Okoko! Thanks for your thoughts about this book which was my first review. I enjoy reading other people's opinions about it. Though we have varying interpretations of the story, we are all one in saying that the book is a challenge to read. Mois Benarroch's style is unusual and unforgettable.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I agree with you Miriam Molina. His writing style is unique. Thanks for reading and commenting.
ruthkirira
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthkirira.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by ruthkirira »

Even with my love for non-fiction books. This sounds like a difficult read. I am not sure I would be interested in reading it. Thanks for your enlightenment on the book.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Brandon101
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Brandon101 »

Thank you, the review is well written. I'd love to read this book!
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Thank you ruthkirira and Brandon101 for reading and commenting.
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Admirable review . I will give this novel a try soon
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Thank you Darakhshan Nazir. Hope you will enjoy it.
testing123456
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by testing123456 »

Good review!
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Thank you testing123456. Nice of you to stop by!
Harmony Hills
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-hills.html
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh

Post by Harmony Hills »

I've read this and it's hard to read due to editorial aspects that have affected the quality of the book. But this book is an eye opener. Nice review. :)
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman, Coraline
Latest Review: "Alba" by B. E. Okoh
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Thank you Harmony Hills for reading and leaving a comment. For sure this book doesn't make an easy read.
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

I guess this is about the Sephardi-Ashkenazi rift common in Benarroch's books. I can't read his books though, only "Gates to Tangier," was easy.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”