Official Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Official Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by ananya92 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From Drift to Shift: How Change brings True Meaning and Happiness to your Work and Life by Jody B. Miller is a book in the non-fiction genre. It can be loosely categorized as a self-help book.

The book is divided into four sections, which explain the process of shifting and what it means. The first section begins with why should one make a shift in life, the next section looks at when should one make that shift, the next section progresses to how should one make that shift, and finally the last section deals with what happens after the shift. The sections are further subdivided into chapters, which narrate inspirational stories of people who were drifting aimlessly, or were dealt a bad hand in life, but successfully overcame their obstacles or aimlessness and found meaning and purpose in their lives.

The author follows an interesting structure in this book. Right from the introduction, the author engages with the reader, and its impressive how I never felt like it was a one-sided conversation, a problem I have come across in some other non-fiction books. Each chapter focuses on the experiences of different people and what the author has drawn up from their journey for the reader to reflect upon.

There were other aspects of the content structure that impressed me, for example, how the author supplemented the stories with research and studies without interrupting the storyline, or how the author listed significant takeaways from each to story at the end of the chapter to highlight her views and advice. The author also made good use of formatting, for instance emboldening or italicizing particular statements to elucidate an important point.

Since the author has personally interacted with all the people mentioned in the book, their accounts are personalized, and as engaging as any fictional narrative. I liked how the author presented their stories, how she described their journeys, to make them seem more relatable. Whether it was someone who was brought up in foster care or someone who fought cancer, the prime reason I found their experience of trumping fate motivating, was because these individuals did not intend to inspire, but help out others facing similar ordeals.

Moving on to the content itself, the author focuses on what prompted these people to make the shift in their lives, whether it was overcoming the disadvantages they were born with, or an accident that altered the course of their lives, or simply dissatisfaction with how their lives were progressing. The stories also emphasize on how making a shift in life is not a one day job; it takes time, patience and most important of all, determination.

This is also one of those rare books where the appendix is as important as the main text, and unsurprisingly covers nearly one-third of the book. It has a wealth of information which validates the stories chronicled in this book, as well guides the reader in the process of transforming their lives.

From Drift to Shift is an excellent book, which helps the reader to switch from a purposeless existence to a satisfying and meaningful one, where they can meet their true potential. I would recommend this book especially for readers who are battling confusion and lacking the courage to take the step that takes them where they want to be. As is pointed out in the book, “We can let life happen to us or we can make life happen for us”. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars.

From Drift to SHIFT
View: on Bookshelves

Like ananya92's review? Post a comment saying so!
Czarmaine AM
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czarmaine-am.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Post by Czarmaine AM »

I'm curious as to why this book didn't make you feel like you're in a one-sided conversation with the author because also, it is one of my concerns. Might as well grab a copy and see it for myself. Thank you for this insightful review. I liked the quote you included in the last paragraph :)
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
(The Old Astronomer to His Pupil by Sarah Williams)
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It does sound interesting. So many times, self-help books are all the same, but this one sounds a little different. I'm curious, though, as to why the appendix is titled an appendix if it's as important as the main content. Ah well. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Though this one sounds like it has some unique elements, I have such a hard time gaining anything from self-help books. Hopefully this will be helpful to some readers though!
Ebe Read
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3364">Good Omens</a>
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebe-read.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ebe Read »

Thank you so much for this review. Sometimes we are looking for something without really being aware of what it is exactly, then reading a review like this points the way to the possible answer. I definitely will try to obtain this book for myself.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

Thank you :)
Peninah Kikwatha
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Peninah Kikwatha »

"this is the hour, this is the minute, this is the second " that I have realised the new me. This is the feeling that am already having as I read through "From drift to Shift".
A very interesting book and a must have copy for me. The author simplifies the kind of life the most people live and clearly demonstrates how a simple it can be if only we can find balance for work and life.
A very brilliant author who will keep you curious and wanting to dig deeper for one to realise themselves and experience the revolution they've been waiting for in their lives.

-- 04 Jul 2017, 01:31 --

I rate this book 4 out of 4
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I like self help books which include the personal experiences of others, it makes me feel "if they can do it, then maybe so can I". Thank you for the positive review ananya92. :)
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

This book captivates my eyes. Nice review. A story of success by not giving up.

Proverbs 2:7New International Version (NIV) He holds success in store for the upright,
he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless,
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like an inspiring self-help book for fans of the genre. It is nice that the author engages with the reader and focuses, among other things, on "what prompted people to make the shift in their lives". Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

This sounds like many could benefit from this book - bringing meaning and happiness into both work and life. I like how there are personal stories, as well as research to back up what the author states. Also, I love the quote "We can let life happen to us or we can make life happen for us”. Thank you for sharing and I'm glad you enjoyed this read!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Change is inevitable. That's how growth comes about.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

This is also one of those rare books where the appendix is as important as the main text, and unsurprisingly covers nearly one-third of the book.
I once read a book that had a lengthy appendix as well. In fact, the appendix was almost half of the book. I had to go back and forth since I was not very familiar with the topic and it took away my enjoyment in reading the book.

I'm glad to know that it's not the case in this book. I look forward to diving into the wealth of information in the appendix and, of course, the inspirational stories in this book. Thanks for the great review.
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review. Live the detail. I wouldn't normally choose this book but you've made it sound very intriguing. "switch from a purposeless existence to a satisfying and meaningful one" really captured my attention. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
Gbemisola
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gbemisola.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Gbemisola »

Few non-fiction books get my attention and fewer still keeps it till the end. The review is very good, making me want to give it a try. Perhaps, it will hold me till the very end.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”