Maggie Stiefvater

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Book Huntress
Currently Reading: Fallen Thief
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-huntress.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Maggie Stiefvater

Post by Book Huntress »

So, I've searched for her in this forum to see if anyone talked about her books already but there's none in terms of own thread discussing her works.

I've tried reading her two books which are both first in her two series. I've read The Raven Boys and Shiver. I like both of them but I could say that her writing style differs on both of it and I liked her style on The Raven Boys more than the Shiver. While Shiver has a nice idea put into it, I just find the narration a little bit off in a way that I always find myself sleepy after a few pages so it took me a week or two to finish it. The Raven Boys, however, is much better because I was engrossed on the story and how it went and I think I've finished reading it in just two days.

So, if you've read her books/series, what can you say about it? Do you think her writings improved than her first novels or not? What do you think is her specialty as a writer? Is she good at making relatable characters? Is she best at plot making? Is her writing style better than the other authors? If you'll compare her books too, what would you say about it? Which are the best one and which are not?
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I absolutely LOVE this author. The Raven Cycle series is beautifully written. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees differences between that and the Shiver series. They are vert, very different.

She ticks all the boxes with The Raven Boys.
Relatable characters
Relatable situations
Original Plot
Bending genres
And throwing enough magic and fantasy to cause a mystery, but not so much that the people and settings aren't relatable.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Book Huntress

Post by Book Huntress »

Gingerbo0ks wrote:I absolutely LOVE this author. The Raven Cycle series is beautifully written. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees differences between that and the Shiver series. They are vert, very different.

She ticks all the boxes with The Raven Boys.
Relatable characters
Relatable situations
Original Plot
Bending genres
And throwing enough magic and fantasy to cause a mystery, but not so much that the people and settings aren't relatable.
Most of my friends recommended The Raven Cycle because it's amazing according to them and I agree that it's really good. I'm planning to continue reading the second book in the series next month.

As for Shiver, it's good but I think the most part/scenes on it are very dull/lame for me.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Did you manage to read all of shiver? I did finish them but really felt myself rushing through to get to the end to find out what happened. The novel after, Sinner was very dark.

She has a new book out in October, set in the 70s. I can't wait :)
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Book Huntress

Post by Book Huntress »

Gingerbo0ks wrote:Did you manage to read all of shiver? I did finish them but really felt myself rushing through to get to the end to find out what happened. The novel after, Sinner was very dark.

She has a new book out in October, set in the 70s. I can't wait :)
I've only read the book 1 and I'm not sure if I will read the following books in that series sooner as I have a long list of TBR. But, I'm planning to read book 2 of her other series, The Raven Cycle.
garima597
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-garima597.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by garima597 »

I have read the raven boys and it is an amazing book. I absolutely love the characters in this story. The Paranormal effect makes it interesting and kept me hooked up with this book. The plot of this story is extraordinary and i loves the character of blue. I will definitely recommend this book to others
G@RIMA :techie-studyingbrown:
lowkeydivine
Favorite Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Currently Reading: Prophase
Bookshelf Size: 18
fav_author_id: 3662

Post by lowkeydivine »

Maggie Stiefvater is my favorite author and I’ve read all her published books save for two. She uses words differently and every book of hers that I’ve read has had me hooked
Gio Gonzalez
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Dental Questions
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Gio Gonzalez »

I've read about 4 of her books and overall, I'm not a big fan of her writing! :?

I read Shiver, Linger and The Scorpio Races, and I hated the trilogy, mostly story wise because I didn't really care about the characters...Or the story overall. And then I read The Scorpio Races and I quite enjoyed it, the book had more to offer in my perspective, but I wouldn't really say its a masterpiece or one of my favorite books either
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I have reread Shiver so many times!!!! I love it!!! I couldn't get into Raven Boys, but I think I'm going to give it another try. Her stand alone novel The Scorpio Races was great too.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

Return to “Discuss Authors”