Official Review: PINKY: Poverty to Prosperity

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Official Review: PINKY: Poverty to Prosperity

Post by Shelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "PINKY: Poverty to Prosperity" by Frank Browning Clark.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I am a fan of memoirs and autobiographies. I love reading a person’s life story in their own words and showing off their unique personality quirks and character nuances. That’s the biggest reason I picked up Pinky: Poverty to Prosperity by Frank Browning Clark. This book details the stories of his life; starting with his birth in 1937 and concluding with his current-day retirement years. He also shares a bit of family lore and history and writes about the Clark family before his parents were married and had children, foreshadowing what was to come later in his life.

Frank “Pinky” Clark did not begin his life with a silver spoon in his mouth. The Clark family was incredibly poor and lived on the brink of homelessness for the majority of Frank’s growing up years. His father is described as an irresponsible alcoholic who drank away any good fortune the family ever fell in to. During the very worst time, Frank’s father outright abandons the family and leave no clues as to his whereabouts. The family barely got by on the grit and hard work of their mother and the kindness of neighbors, extended family, and complete strangers. Through this great adversity, Frank and his siblings developed a strong work ethic, the ability to persevere, and an uncanny resourcefulness.

This memoir was memorable to me because it covered such a wide range of topics. Author Frank Browning Clark was successful at a wide range of jobs including service station attendant, law enforcement officer, foreign services officer in Vietnam during the Vietnam war, and multiple positions at the E & J Gallo Winery. He shares very interesting details about each of his jobs and even adds in a bit of humor. Frank Clark married twice and divorced once and had children with both wives and shares some delightful stories about his marriages and his children. He also wrestles with some serious ethical and moral issues concerning his jobs and his family. My favorite parts of this book were the little personal details that showed Frank and his family as real, sweet, and flawed people, just like we all are.

This book had a few minor editorial errors, but they weren’t excessive or distracting. Sometimes the dialogue seemed awkward and forced. I also was turned off by the sexist and racist anecdotes that seemed fairly normal in the 1950s and 1960s, but wouldn’t be tolerated today. Those stories served as a good reminder of how far our society has come over the years.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes memoirs and autobiographies. Those interested in law enforcement or the Vietnam War would also find it interesting. I rated Pinky: Poverty to Prosperity 3 out of 4 stars.

PINKY: Poverty to Prosperity
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Shelle's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Julius Akhaende
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by Julius Akhaende »

This is the true way of life
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! Sounds like a really great memoir. I do enjoy reading about other's lives especially during different time periods. Thanks for sharing this one with us.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jeconiaomolo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65">Heaven and Earth</a>
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeconiaomolo.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeconiaomolo »

It's always my pleasure to read true stories. This book sounds like my type. It very encouraging and motivational from the outlook. Thanks for this great review.
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings so that you shall gain easily what others have laboured hard for"-
Socrates
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

A memoir of determination and perseverance. I'm not that much of a fan on success stories, but I guess it would be a good motivational memoir for those who can relate to it. Thanks for the insightful review.
-rk
Rouzie
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rouzie.html
Latest Review: "My trip to Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Rouzie »

The book sounds really good, from the review I feel like one can relate to it when going through different situations. Books based on true stories are always a win. Thanks for sharing
Latest Review: "My trip to Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Hearing the story about how a person striving for success is really a great help when someone else in hopeless situation.

Psalm 9:18New International Version (NIV) But God will never forget the needy;
the hope of the afflicted will never perish
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I like reading autobiographies and this novel seems worth reading . Thank you for such a nice review
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Walterevws
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walterevws.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Walterevws »

That sounds like an interesting memoir,i would not mind giving it a look some time in the future Glad to hear that you loved it.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

I love personal stories. Especially those who believe that tough times are temporary. It will be inspirational for me. Hope I can read this book. Nice review! Thanks.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

This is a very interesting and well-written review, thanks. You raise a very valid point about whether it's okay to include racist and/or sexist material if it is a reflection of the relevant times. My own opinion is that it should probably remain, but with some kind of foreword to explain that it IS reflecting those times.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

A great memoir I presume; this sounds like my kind of read. Reading a of ' from rags to riches' sounds intriguing, to say the least. A great review there.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”