How do you deal with unfamiliar words?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Re: How do you deal with unfamiliar words?

Post by Amagine »

I usually pull out a dictionary and look the word up. Once I am sure that I have it memorized, I go back and re-read the passage that had the word in it and try to put it proper context. I love when I come across unfamiliar words though. I'm always interested in expanding my vocabulary.
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Tsheola Asavela
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsheola-asavela.html
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles

Post by Tsheola Asavela »

I dive in, and drown in attempting to overstand them as I sink in, going as deep as I can in comprehending them from whatever possible depth in the ocean of knowledge. See, their like the fauna and flora that live there, and I'm the deep sea diver that lives, in order to drown and die in there because, the heavy pressure is just mind-blasting! Just so that I can resurrect and live on forever, in illumination and bliss.
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles
michelonline29
Favorite Book: The Eurasians
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelonline29.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by michelonline29 »

I deal with unfamiliar words by listing it and finding the meaning in the dictionary which I installed it in my phone.
"The only source of knowledge is experience" -Albert Einstein
Immaculata Uduma
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculata-uduma.html

Post by Immaculata Uduma »

I deal with unfamiliar words by looking them up in the dictionary.The contextual meaning may not give the exact meaning of the word.Looking it up in the dictionary gives the exact meaning as well as the usage.
Rosie22
Currently Reading: The Gene Keys Golden Path
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Rosie22 »

Both my parents were avid readers, and I have been all my life too.
I tend to let it pass if I get the gist of it; (or I think I do!)....but often hit the dictionary too, online dictionary more these days as I tend to not be far from the laptop when I read.
I appreciate the reminder about dictionary in ereader too, though I've seen it I don't think I've ever used it.
I read mostly non-fiction, so it may be less likely to come up then.
The times I look up words the most are during my occasional crossword puzzle benders; there's a reward for finding the right word then.
Lucy Kelly
Currently Reading: The Brendan Voyage
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-kelly.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Lucy Kelly »

I am lucky to have a function on my Kindle that will bring up definitions of any word or phrase that I hold my finger down upon. So, if I am truly stumped, I check it out!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
raeryn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raeryn.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper

Post by raeryn »

If I'm reading an ebook, I just look it up right then and there. If I happen to be reading in front of my computer and I'm not particularly lazy, I'll google it. But when it comes to paper copies, I'm pretty lazy.
christinac_2585
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by christinac_2585 »

I just happen to see this discussion and thought, "wow, I'm reading a book right now that I'm dealing with a lot of words that are unfamiliar." Since, it is on my Kindle I am able to pull up the dictionary with that word to be able to learn what it means. If it was a physical book I would try to look it up on my phone to get the definition.
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
ReekaCheeka
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ReekaCheeka »

I think E-readers are great for this, or even my phone. If I get some kind of reading app where I can download books, I just click on the work and the definition and context examples pop up. Sometimes I'll ask someone nearby though if I'm reading a hard copy.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

Being a reader of classics, I feel like I run into new words all the time. Sometimes I look up the words, but most times (to my shame) I just try to figure out the words given the context.
ifeoma obike
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeoma-obike.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by ifeoma obike »

I installed an app on my phone which I easily use to look up words and their pronunciation. I don't enjoy reading if I don't the know the real meaning of words even if i can relate it to the subject matter. English is not my native language, so l get thrilled when I finish a book with lots of new words added to my vocabulary
Jesalison
Currently Reading: Portrait of Death
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Jesalison »

When possible, I use the in-app dictionary (Kindle). It's so fast and easy. I often catch my finger hovering over a word on paper, having forgotten that feature isn't available yet for hard and paperbacks! ;-)
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

Since I usually read on my e-reader, there's a built-in dictionary, so I look the words up as they come up in the text. I love that! If I'm reading a print book and I don't understand a word I will look it up in the dictionary if there is one available.

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

I usually guess through context what the word means, but if I really have no idea or if it's some native slang that I want to be sure that I understand 100% correctly, I'll use the magic of Google to look it up. I think the only author that I love to read and who sometimes manages to surprise me with words I really don't know is Wodehouse at the moment.
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

Mailis wrote: 27 Feb 2018, 15:30 I usually guess through context what the word means, but if I really have no idea or if it's some native slang that I want to be sure that I understand 100% correctly, I'll use the magic of Google to look it up. I think the only author that I love to read and who sometimes manages to surprise me with words I really don't know is Wodehouse at the moment.
I'll have to keep Wodehouse in mind. I remember enjoying the DVD series, Jeeves And Wooster. I had no idea he was such a prolific writer. I really like British humor.
Foreign expressions will always stumble my reading. Some writers in English seem to like to lace their work with French expressions.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”