Review by raizenagallo -- The Expelled by Mois Benarroch

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
raizenagallo
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raizenagallo.html
Latest Review: "A Case of Black Rock Mineral Water" by Simon Marshland

Review by raizenagallo -- The Expelled by Mois Benarroch

Post by raizenagallo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Expelled by Mois Benarroch is definitely an interesting book to read. This is one of the weirdest books, I daresay, that I have read in my entire life. I love how Mois Benarroch injected reality in this fiction book. It is quite challenging to summarize the book and I know that no matter what I write here, won't be able to give any spoilers because every chapter of this book is full of unique stories and it is impossible to remember them all.

As an overview, this book is a story in a story in a story. No, this is not a typo error. It is indeed a story three layers deep. It starts with a writer meeting a younger version of his wife and falling in love with her again. Then he reads a story he had written to his younger wife about a bus full of passengers that got lost in the woods and suddenly explodes. Then a passenger in the bus goes through an investigation and reads a memoir of his fellow passenger that contains the story of his life. It is really challenging to give a general summary of this book.

The author himself had challenged the way the critics would summarize the story but this should not discourage you from reading the book. I love how The Expelled explores the world of the lost ones, the people who never knew where they belong. The characters in the story are so relatable in a lot of ways. I like the fact that the nature of divisiveness in a group or a community was tackled. Yes, the sad reality was perfectly painted in his stories and you just can't help but agree that these things actually happen in real life.

Although the book is a work of fiction, it sometimes feels like a non-fiction, as if it was the author's biography. I agree with what he said about books: that nonfiction books seemed to be too good to be true and works of fiction are so relatable that they have to be an actual event in the author's life.

To quote a line in the story, "she had no sense of criticism and her poems could be great or complete crap and that was of no importance", I love reading such works that do not intend to please the general public just to sell more copies. I like books that make you listen to what the author thinks and this book certainly hit that mark.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. If you are into Charles Bukowski, Jack London and you love harsh realities in a work of fiction, this book is for you.

The Expelled
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like raizenagallo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

As far as I know, you are the first person to give this book a perfect rating. I don't wonder why since it appears that you also like Bukowski, one of Benarroch's preferred authors.

I also reviewed this book (my first in OBC). I enjoy reading other reviewers' opinions about it and everyone has a unique interpretation of the story. I believe Benarroch is having the time of his life confusing all of us. Welcome to the club I have unofficially called "The Benarroch Survivors".
raizenagallo
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raizenagallo.html

Post by raizenagallo »

Miriam Molina wrote:As far as I know, you are the first person to give this book a perfect rating. I don't wonder why since it appears that you also like Bukowski, one of Benarroch's preferred authors.

I also reviewed this book (my first in OBC). I enjoy reading other reviewers' opinions about it and everyone has a unique interpretation of the story. I believe Benarroch is having the time of his life confusing all of us. Welcome to the club I have unofficially called "The Benarroch Survivors".
It is indeed easy to get lost in his story since he intends to confuse and challenge his readers in his book. It is however satisfying when you get to the end and go back to the original characters of the story.
Kim12
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Kim12 »

It was a good reading for me until I got lost in the book but I would advice anyone who loves reading to get this book
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

Mois Benarroch generally situates his narratives in family settings with themes around oppression, discrimination and their indignities. I'd say this is a book to follow to the end. I enjoyed the review!
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
phemmaj
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by phemmaj »

"This is one of the weirdest books" it full of unique stories yet it give no room for the spoilers. Good job from the reviewer.
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

raizenagallo wrote: 24 May 2017, 12:49 I love how The Expelled explores the world of the lost ones, the people who never knew where they belong.
I've only read the sample thus far and really enjoyed your review. I think I'd like to read the book more now having read what you've written concerning his exploration of "lost ones".
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It's funny how you start out by classifying this book as one of the weirdest you've ever read. That piques the interest. I like your description of this book as being about the lost ones. Well done. Thanks.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”