Official Review: Resurrected! by Dr. John Morris

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Resurrected! by Dr. John Morris

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Resurrected!" by Dr. John Morris.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One of the trickiest things about any religion is that it's entirely based upon faith. Few people have seen their God or received any proof of their existence, and even for those who do, others can be quick to argue that they were delusional or imagined it. For Christians, the cornerstone of that faith rests squarely on the fact that Jesus was crucified and rose 3 days later. This was proof that He was the Son of God and it fulfilled His promise to return after His death. However, it's certainly not easy to defend such an important event to nonbelievers without any real proof over the last 2000-ish years! That's where Resurrected!: The Historical Truth of the Most Important Event in Human History - And Why It Matters by Dr. John Morris comes in. Morris wanted a book that he could give to people that would strengthen their beliefs and help convince others about the resurrection of Jesus that was easy to follow and short enough for anyone to pick up and read. 

Resurrected (as I'll refer to it here) is a book with a very clear-cut mission. As such, the book's writing is laser focused on answering four questions that lead up to proving that Jesus indeed died on the cross and resurrected. These questions and their subsequent answers are incredibly simple, straightforward and thorough. For example, Morris points out that after Jesus' death the disciples scattered in fear, but once He was resurrected their faith was renewed and, despite the threat of horrific death for their blasphemy, they went out and spread the word. What reason, other than Jesus' genuine resurrection, would bring them back and cause them to overcome their fear? Wouldn't at least one of the disciples, nearly all of whom died in absolutely horrific ways, "admit" that they lied if it wasn't real?

The four main questions provide the groundwork for the death and resurrection of Jesus. Morris begins with the most fundamental of all - did Jesus die on the cross? Some opponents of resurrection argue that he didn't even die on the cross at all. Maybe it was faked, or maybe He didn't even exist at all! Here began my own learning as well - Morris states that there are two separate non-Christian accounts before 110 AD that mention the death of Jesus. This is how Morris handles all of the resurrection facts, validating each of the important facts as he goes along. Each chapter also ends with several discussion questions that summarize what was discussed while encouraging you to think like a nonbeliever and imagine other doubts Morris's writing didn't answer.

Resurrected definitely succeeds at being a welcoming book that takes minimal time to read. While Amazon lists the page count at 110, I breezed through the book even faster than expected. It also succeeds at building a clean, methodical set of answers to solidify one's faith. Morris doesn't shy away from even the wildest accusations and conspiracy theories (like the Romans working with Jesus and the disciples so He wouldn't actually die on the cross and could be "resurrected" later). Between this and the discussion questions Resurrected really pulls of its intended goal.

Overall it's incredibly easy to recommend Resurrected to any Christian who is having a crisis of faith, who wants to have a great book to show others about Jesus' resurrection or who is interested in the resurrection in general. My official rating is 4 out of 4 stars.

Resurrected!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

I always enjoy your reviews, CataclysmicKnight because I feel like I'm reading the book already.
The simplicity and clarity of the book makes it even more worthwhile...think I'll give it a try.
Great review!!
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow. Pretty good accolades there. Sounds like a great book. Glad you enjoyed it. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
nyasuguta
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nyasuguta »

A great review indeed . I will definitely try it out.
Kambo E Murimi

Post by Kambo E Murimi »

Am new here but I very much like reading and book reviewing
Nahashonmurray
Currently Reading: The Limitless Real Estate Leader
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Nahashonmurray »

i think this is an amazing book cant help but read it
Quirinius
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65134">The Limitless Real Estate Leader</a>
Currently Reading: Sylvio: Past and Present
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Quirinius »

Great review Can't wait to start reading the book.
Dj Hoodrich
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Dj Hoodrich »

Very Inspirational Dr. John Mirris, it makes me aspire to read more.
jessie95

Post by jessie95 »

Nice review. sounds like a good book just what I need
jimthorne2
Favorite Book: Christians in the Age of Outrage
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimthorne2.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jimthorne2 »

I'm not sure I agree with your opening sentence. "One of the trickiest things about any religion is that it's entirely based upon faith." This would make religion the product of human ingenuity. In fact, the book you are reviewing provides "facts" that substantiate the validity of Christianity.
Jim Thorne
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Thanks for the review. The book title still debatable until today but once you became a true Christian believer it's not hard to understand it. Their are plenty of people claimed they are Christians but they haven't read the Christian's life manual which is the holy Bible.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

Is this book about contradicting the Christians, then? Sorry I got quite confused.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Nice review but i think i am not going to read this book. Religious book do not tempt me much.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

Though the bible narrates how Jesus was crucified and ressurected on the third day, discussions sorrounding how or whether he was ressurected continue to emerge even in today's modern world. Of particular interest to me in this book is which approach the author takes to display the ressurection of christ. Though I haven't read this book, I'm looking forward to reading it

-- 26 Jul 2017, 03:34 --

Though the bible narrates how Jesus was crucified and ressurected on the third day, discussions sorrounding how or whether he was ressurected continue to emerge even in today's modern world. Of particular interest to me in this book is which approach the author takes to display the ressurection of christ. Though I haven't read this book, I'm looking forward to reading it
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
micarida
Currently Reading: The Vampire Gaytooth
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micarida.html
Latest Review: "Marrying a Playboy Billionaire" by H M Irwing

Post by micarida »

This is so true. A lot if atheists and even Christians are thorn because they have no real reason to believe the death and resurrectiob of Christ actually happened. Like you have rightly said, this is about faith and having a little bit more to strengthen that faith is always amazing. The author did a great job and the reviews have shown that.
Latest Review: "Marrying a Playboy Billionaire" by H M Irwing

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”