Book first or movie first?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
SilviaP21
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silviap21.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Re: Book first or movie first?

Post by SilviaP21 »

Of course the book first. If I see the movie, I already know the ending, I can't imagine how the characters would look because I have already seen them and so on. When I read a book, my imagination plays a very important role. So if I see the movie first, all that disappears.
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Jacinta M Gitau
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jacinta M Gitau »

Movie first is the best way, then read the book later
fandemoniumnetwork
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by fandemoniumnetwork »

If you are interested in books then fandemoniumnetwork is the best resource for reading books online at free of cost. We are your one stop site where all YOUR Fandoms come together!
Theodorah1
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Theodorah1 »

Probably book first will love to better read and understand and have some joy in it first before watching the movies at least will have got some better ideas about it.
jwalker73
Currently Reading: The Good Mother
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwalker73.html
Latest Review: The Truth About Parallel Lines by Jill D. Block
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jwalker73 »

I definitely prefer to read the book first. I love the fact that reading lets you visualise the characters and settings as they relate to you. This is what I think makes the experience of reading so unique as no person will picture the exact same image even though they are reading the same description. I feel that this lost if you see the movie first as you enter the book with an image already in mind, which can restrict your imagination a bit. I also find that watching the movie based on a book can be quite a disappointing experience as it often omits points that you personally feel are quite significant parts of the story line. I also frequently find that, as I had interpreted the characters to be quite different than the movie portrays, the films often have much less impact on me.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

I would definitely go with the book first, mostly because books tend to be vivid/descriptive taking my imagination on a ride - the motion picture happens in my mind and not the screen, to me there is something special about that. I found that I get more excited to watch a movie on a book I've read first than vice versa.
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

Definitely a movie first...to get the bigger picture when I'm reading!
Tamanna
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamanna.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Tamanna »

I always read the book first because I've found that a lot of the time a movie might change my perception of the book. Another reason why is that the book gives the original story and contains far more details than the movie ever could. From the book, I can understand the characters and their thoughts and having this kind of insider's knowledge of the characters makes movie watching a lot more interesting.
I also love comparing the scenes I've imagined in my head while reading the book to the ones displayed in the movie.
Shireks Nancy
Currently Reading: My Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shireks-nancy.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt

Post by Shireks Nancy »

The book comes fast, then the movie becomes very enjoyable, especially if you watch it with people who have not read the book.
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

The book first. Some movie adaptations do a good job of putting you off. If you watch those kinds of movies first, you may lose interest in reading the books. And the book just may be a lot better. Plus, I love giving my imagination the chance to work. If you watch the movie first, you're likely to imagine based on the movie.
magicquill
Currently Reading: Elf Brief
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magicquill.html

Post by magicquill »

I always read the book first because in reading it you can find the true masterpiece since it is the original version. It shows the plot and events in it that might not be included in the movie. In other words it shows the complete story behind its creation.
ValEtt
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valett.html
Latest Review: "Murders in Progress" by Eldon Cene

Post by ValEtt »

I love that this is a topic people have been weighing in on for six years on this forum alone. So controversial! I like to experience media in a way that gives me the most enjoyment, with the second experience enriching the first. Therefore, if I think I will like a movie better than a book, I will read the book first so the movie will only add to an already (hopefully) positive experience. If the reverse is true and what I've heard indicates that the book is better, I will watch the movie first so that the book can add to my experience. In short, I always want to end on a high note!
Latest Review: "Murders in Progress" by Eldon Cene
Shamim Bilha
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Shamim Bilha »

Come on. I would obviously go for books first. They are more vivid and interesting. I wont however mind a movie once in a while.
emmaskyblue
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by emmaskyblue »

I would read the book first before watching the movie. This will make the movie understandable.
lolashoes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lolashoes.html

Post by lolashoes »

I tend to read the book first before watching the movie.

Return to “Films and Books”