Official Review: Through the Hostage by J C Steel

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Through the Hostage by J C Steel

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Through the Hostage" by J C Steel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Alien mercenaries. Telepathic abilities. Intrigue. A race to the finish with deadly stakes. If these themes appeal to you, you may want to read Through the Hostage by J C Steel. This is the first book in The Cortii series with books 2 (Fighting Shadows) and 3 (Elemental Affinity) available on Kindle already. According to the author, even more books are on the way!

Khyria Ilan is the commander of a unit of mercenaries in training on the planet Corina. They are quickly coming up on the ultimate test of their unit called The Crossing. During The Crossing, at least half of the 25 members in the unit must cross the finish line in order to continue together as a unit. Unfortunately, the leaders of this world – called the Council – are not fond of Ilan. They make it even more difficult than normal for her and her unit to survive this Crossing.

Meanwhile, the Independent Extra-Sensory Regulatory Organization (IESRO) wants to have someone observe The Crossing of Khyria's unit. The Council chooses a man named Jack from a world (The Earth) that has yet to be included in the Federated Planes Alliance (FPA). Jack is unaware of the existence of aliens much less those with telepathy, but he agrees to go to Corina to observe Khyria Ilan and her mercenaries. Will Jack, Khyria, and the unit be able to survive despite the Council's influence?

The story is told in the third person with varying perspectives. The author switches back and forth between characters with ease, thus allowing us to observe multiple points of view. Whereas sometimes this changing perspective can be confusing, in this story, it works quite well. I had no trouble distinguishing which character we were following.

The action in the novel is almost non-stop starting in the prologue. We first read about a game called Charan which, to me, resembled Russian roulette. Khyria faces off against an opponent with the opponent starting. Each must take a laser weapon aimed at their head and pull the trigger. In this instance, the opponent is the unlucky one with Khyria surviving. This is the first of many scenes of action and suspense that pull the reader into the story.

For the most part, the characters are realistic and interesting. Khyria's background remains a mystery throughout most of the novel; although, we get glimpses of her past here and there in the story. She is a very stoic character and is a great example of a strong woman protagonist. Jack is a little too accepting of his new alien world for my tastes. However, he does express serious skepticism regarding telepathic abilities which makes up for how accepting he is of aliens in general. He shows great empathy for those around him and fits in quite well with the band of mercenaries.

Unfortunately, there is one serious flaw in this novel. It is quite confusing. I started off the story confused and continued this way through at least half of the novel. There are a great many alien words used that are not explained in the context of the story. The author has provided a guide for the vocabulary at the end of the book; but, even with this, I was still confused. Ms. Steel provides bits and pieces of the story throughout the novel, and it is almost left to the reader to string it all together. When the story finally did come together for me, I enjoyed anticipating what would happen. I think that the next book in the series would be even better, as I now have a solid knowledge of the alien culture and vocabulary.

Overall, I rate Through the Hostage 3 out of 4 stars. I love the premise behind the book. Alien mercenaries are not a topic of most science fiction novels. I don't believe the book deserves the full 4 stars due to the confusion I felt while reading. I know that I am not the only one who would stumble through the first half wondering what exactly was happening. I would recommend this to true science fiction lovers, especially those who enjoy a good puzzle and aren't afraid of being a little baffled at the beginning.

Through the Hostage
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Glad you were able to get through this one; with the confusing beginning lasting that long, I may have given up! Thanks for the review :)
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

In the end, it all worked out for me; it was definitely touch and go there for a while. My eyebrows were furrowed quite a bit while reading it. :) Thanks for commenting Marisa.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, Kandscreely. I understand that the story could be confusing. The acronyms themselves are already a chore to remember. While I do not think I will attempt to read this book, I am sure the fantasy fans out there would be eager to give it a try.
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Alien mercenaries does sound like a unique sci-fi twist. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Miriam. This is definitely for a specific audience.

Spirit, it was unique. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

This does sound like a unique sci-fi story. I am sorry that certain parts were confusing, but I'm glad that it came together and that you enjoyed the story overall. I'm thinking about putting this one on my reading list and I thank you for this detailed and honest review!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Quirinius
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65134">The Limitless Real Estate Leader</a>
Currently Reading: Sylvio: Past and Present
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Quirinius »

Awesome review can't wait to start reading.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Quirinius. Just try and hang on through the first half of the book. It's a little confusing to start!
—Neil Gaiman
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

Oh my gosh, you have a good patience! If it was me, I would have given up or skim the book and just get the gist of it. maybe a little bit of polish of editing and it'll be better. I'll look forward to this book. Great review, btw! I love how detailed and honest it is.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

The premise of Alien mercenaries facing the ultimate test sounds fascinating! Too bad the first half is a little confusing and has many unexplained alien words. I am glad you enjoyed the book despite it. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Today's #BOTD sounds like an action-packed, heart-pumping, adreneline-filled race to the finish line! Whew! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it for the most part. :-) Sounds like Sci-Fi at its best! Thank you for your review!
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review! Non-stop action and suspense with a strong female lead is definitely a book up my alley, however I don't think that I can get past the confusion for half of the book. It's a shame because it certainly does sound exciting otherwise. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
Rajanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 231

Post by Rajanis »

Thanks for the review.
An engrossing, thrilling sci-fi story. A mercenary who has forgotten about her past and has to struggle to live without knowing who her enemies are.
jamesokunmd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 228
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesokunmd.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by jamesokunmd »

Thank you for the great review. Sound like an interesting read despite the confusion. Great for Sci-fi lovers.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”