Official Review: A Beautiful Here by Linda Phillips

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: A Beautiful Here by Linda Phillips

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Beautiful Here" by Linda Phillips.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

While medicine and science have led to improved treatments of all sorts of diseases over the years, depression and suicide have steadily increased since at least 2006. According to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the US with over 44,000 people dying every year from suicide. For every suicide that results in death there are 25 attempts, and at least one million people intentionally self-harm every year. All of this data is from the US alone!

A Beautiful Here by Linda Phillips speaks of her son Nuçi's suicide, but it's also so much more than that. Linda discusses her own childhood with an abusive mother, finding the love of her life, raising her two wonderful kids and the events leading up to 22-year-old Nuçi's suicide on Thanksgiving Day, 1996. She also discusses the issues that people who face depression face, the way mental illness is looked at in our country by other people and by the medical world, and the reality of the cycle of abuse from unloving parenting. But the book isn't entirely negative - in fact, A Beautiful Here has a positive name for a reason. The majority of the book is genuine, heartfelt and even uplifting. While the pain of the loss of Nuçi to a horrific disease won't ever entirely go away, Linda found a way to honor her son by creating a nonprofit organization that gives musicians a place to be comfortable and free to express themselves while also making it easier and more affordable for them to get the help they need when they need it. About half of the book is full of Linda's journey to make Nuçi's Space (the nonprofit) a reality and all of the good they managed to do merely by being there to talk to and facilitate affordable treatments with great therapists.

Throughout the book I was amazed at how awful depression was looked at by the medical world and even other people, but when I really stopped and thought about it I realized I've seen it myself. Men may not be as expected to be emotionless tough guys as when I was a kid, but there's always been a shame built into people who aren't happy and who have any sort of mental illness. As Linda points out, the word "mental" is even used as a negative term in all sorts of situations. The author herself even faced some of this when she was told or heard from others who lost a child to suicide that they've had enough time to grieve and should just move on, even as little as a month later!

I chose to review A Beautiful Here because it was so incredibly well reviewed on Amazon. Out of 52 reviews only one of them wasn't a 5-star review and it was because it was a gift for someone who wouldn't read it since the topic hit too close to home. I can see the reason people loved it so much - it's not just a great look at the life of Nuçi himself who battled depression for so long and eventually took his life. It's also not just insight into a mother who lost her son, wondering what she could have done better or whether she just did [whatever thing] she could've saved him. What makes the book so great is that Linda shines a light on such a dark topic, she invites the reader into the world of depression and then shows all of these wonderful ways anyone - even you! - can help someone who's depressed. Her writing is also very emotional, and anyone with any sort of empathy can deeply feel the words she wrote.

I learned a lot while reading A Beautiful Here. Linda snuck in all sorts of facts and statistics, and she did it while also presenting some absurd (but far too true) stories of things either her family faced or people she knew faced. For example, only two weeks into college Nuçi self-harmed and reached out for help. When he did, not only was he not given help, he had the police called on him, he was handcuffed and taken forcibly to a hospital and he was even expelled! Before that, after his first suicide attempt he was brought to a private psychiatric hospital. He was there for 8 weeks and made some real headway, but even with insurance it cost them well over $100,000 out of pocket! While he was there, Linda says she saw all sorts of people who barely received any kind of help being kicked out as insurance barely helped at all and people couldn't afford such an expensive place. Then there are the stories of people calling the suicide helpline and being put on hold so long they'd hang up, or the parents who lost a kid to suicide by hanging who received a card from their "dear friends" that read "Hang in there." In a dark fictional comedy these might be funny moments, but when it's the reality of depression it's just terrible!

For anyone interested in mental illness, for those who know someone with depression, for someone who faces depression and wants to know that they're not alone and especially for parents of a child who suffers from depression or who have lost a child to suicide I can't recommend A Beautiful Here enough. My official rating is 4 out of 4 stars, and the closest I found to anything negative about it was that I found a whopping two grammatical errors out of the 110+ page book.

A Beautiful Here
View: on Bookshelves

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I feel I am ignorant regarding depression, we often take it lightly. I hope to read this book. With your 4 star rating, I'm sure I'll learn a lot from it. Thanks for the great review. :)
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
lanatommo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by lanatommo »

A lot of people truly do not take depression and mental illnesses seriously. I think they have to read this book, and I am going to do that as soon as possible even though I realize what the depression is for real. I am also the beginning author, and the main character of one of my books has faced a lot of hard things that affected her mental health. I hope that this book will help me get to know more about how this all feels, and because of your review I can't wait to start reading this story. Thank you!
Frankshikami
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Frankshikami »

It is a great experience going through such an emotion and educative article.Looking forward to get and read the whole book.We appreciate the knowledge shared and hope to impact our society positevely.thanks again.
Sophie11
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophie11.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Sophie11 »

This review has definitely convinced me to read this book, i have come close to situations of family strife and the ingonered issue on depression in families. In most african families there is no recognition of issues of mental health, you are either well or not...there is no in between space, and wellness has a very rigid definition. I hope to enjoy reading his book for the sake of learning a way or two to help someone with the signs of this disease.
gbolahan3588

Post by gbolahan3588 »

It is a great book and educative article looking forward to get full story
CamiRo18

Post by CamiRo18 »

This is great book. The action is very wonderful
Paulongoro
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paulongoro.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Paulongoro »

Great review. I must read this book to learn more about depression. Thank you for your review.
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD
JOELEKURI
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by JOELEKURI »

Hmm, very touching i really feel what Linda Phillips must have felt; discomfort even while penning down the story for publication. most cases of suicide and suicide attempt are actually resulting from depression and related issues, true as the reviewer has said. but the facts about the statistics of suicide cases is really on the high as compared to even my own domicile. well a lot really has to be done to prevent such occurences as they are very painful especially for the loved ones of the suicide victims. the reviewer did well taking time to read the book and outline important details.
Jeconiaomolo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65">Heaven and Earth</a>
Currently Reading: Heads Will Roll
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeconiaomolo.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Jeconiaomolo »

Suicide has remained a life challenge solution to most of us this century especially to young people when it can't solve anything except taking a way life. I like the book because it addresses it, reading it can never leave us the same. Kudos! It's such a great review.
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings so that you shall gain easily what others have laboured hard for"-
Socrates
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

It has to be hard to share something as personal as suicide of a child. I'm glad this author found solace in helping others deal with it as well.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

For me, depression is the greatest illness of our time. I'm so glad you highlighted this, cataclysmicKnight.
Wonderful book!Great review!! Thanks.
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Adrian Reid

Post by Adrian Reid »

I have read through A Beautiful hereby linda Phillips and it was a very enjoyable moment. The words was well writting and was perfect for me or for any one rather. I hope to read a wonderful pieces like this soon again.

-- 15 Jul 2017, 15:51 --

I have read through A Beautiful hereby linda Phillips and it was a very enjoyable moment. The words was well writting and was perfect for me or for any one rather. I hope to read a wonderful pieces like this soon again.

-- 15 Jul 2017, 15:53 --

-- 15 Jul 2017, 15:54 --

Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Your reviews never disappoint. Depression is real... Happens to the best of us. This is definitely a must read.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

I like how the book shows a closer narrative side of depression and suicide. You say that the book really hits too close to home. Thank you for the review.
-rk

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”