Official Review: Still Shot by N. L. Quatrano

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: Still Shot by N. L. Quatrano

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Still Shot" by N. L. Quatrano.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Still Shot by N.L. Quatrano is the second book in the Point and Shoot Mystery series. Private Investigator Antonia (A.J.) Buchanan and her husband Travis anticipate a relaxing vacation when they travel to New Orleans for her cousin Merline’s wedding. As per A.J.’s late grandmother’s will, all of the cousins have to agree to the sale of her grandmother’s property. Things take a dangerous turn when one cousin dies under suspicious circumstances, another cousin is poisoned, and the bride-to-be disappears. The father of the groom, Judge Addison, certainly seems anxious for the wedding to go forward. What does he have to gain from this coupling?

I thoroughly enjoyed this rollicking mystery. The story moves forward at a steady pace with a nice mix of suspense and family drama. Although it is the second installment in a series, I had no trouble reading the book as a standalone. I quickly became attached to all of the characters, who are well drawn with clear backstories. In particular, the dysfunctional New Orleans relatives have intriguing past and present interconnections. The absorbing plot takes center stage with twists and turns that made it difficult for me to put the book down.

The story is creatively written with a compelling mystery and vivid descriptions of New Orleans. The author’s excellent use of imagery whisked me away to this steamy bayou town and its eccentric inhabitants. The setting doesn’t overwhelm the plot; instead, it adds sparkle and depth to an already interesting story.

I did find it a bit unrealistic that A.J. would bond so quickly with relatives she just met. Within a day or so, the bride and her mother Merle rely so much on A.J. and her husband. It’s a bit too much instant closeness, although they do have a shared family history.

The book could use an extra round or two of editing. There are at least twelve errors scattered through the story. A character’s name is incorrectly written (Mariana instead of Marietta) and, in another instance, the wrong character’s name is used (Merle instead of Merline). Other errors include missing words, extra words that don’t belong, missing or incorrect punctuation, and incorrect terms/words (el fresco instead of al fresco, scared instead of sacred).

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The errors prevent me from giving a higher rating to an otherwise wonderful story. I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy mysteries with a strong plot and atmospheric setting. I look forward to reading other books in this series.

Still Shot
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Sounds like a great mystery! I like mysteries with a strong plot and atmospheric setting. Too bad about the lack of editing, though. I am glad that you enjoyed the book despite those errors. Great review as usual! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It does sound very interesting. (I'm glad you finally found a book up your alley.) On the other hand, it is one of my pet peeves when the characters' names are spelled incorrectly! Sheesh! :)
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Felicks
Currently Reading: Still Shot
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Felicks »

nice one
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by shish_by_design »

The author was very clever.This book was mysterious, full of suspense and easily quite frightening at times.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Gali! I was particularly disappointed to see the errors since the book was otherwise very enjoyable.

-- 13 Jul 2017, 10:43 --

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Kandscreeley - actually, I also really liked the last book I read, If I'd a Knowed. Maybe I had been referring to a different book or a few books in general (I don't remember). Anyway, the errors were a little annoying, especially when the wrong character's name was used or the wrong word was used. Since Merle is the character's mother and Merline is his sister, it's distracting to see "his sister Merle" in a sentence.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Vivid descriptions, family drama, suspense and characters with back stories! This sounds great! I've never read a mystery book, perhaps thus could be my hook into the genre. (I'll overlook all the errors).
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Another great review, bookowlie! I love when characters are well drawn out and you can easily become attached to them. It's also great when the author takes the time to give vivid descriptions of the setting. It's too bad about the amount of errors, but I'm glad that you were still able to enjoy the read!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Looks like an interesting piece to read . I am going to give it a try.
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Kelebogile Mbangi wrote:Vivid descriptions, family drama, suspense and characters with back stories! This sounds great! I've never read a mystery book, perhaps thus could be my hook into the genre. (I'll overlook all the errors).
That's interesting that you have never read a mystery! I love this genre. :)
erasmus
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erasmus.html
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
Reading Device: B00GQDBS7O

Post by erasmus »

Awesome review as usual! This doesn't seem like the kind of mystery that I'd usually pick up, but you've done a fantastic job making this sound really interesting. Too bad about the errors though. I really hate getting distracted by them while reading.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R. Martin
Latest Review: "Torn Between" by Karen A Miles
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

erasmus wrote:Awesome review as usual! This doesn't seem like the kind of mystery that I'd usually pick up, but you've done a fantastic job making this sound really interesting. Too bad about the errors though. I really hate getting distracted by them while reading.
Thanks Erasmus! The errors were more of a petty annoyance. I still found the book an enjoyable light beach-style read, despite the issues I mentioned.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I like to read mystery books. They keep me involved with the story. Great review!
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks Naval Aulakh! I also love mysteries, especially ones with interesting characters and settings.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”