Official Review: The Price of Eden by Brian Burt

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Price of Eden by Brian Burt

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Price of Eden" by Brian Burt.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Price of Eden by Brian Burt is book three of the Aquarius Rising series. Set in the future, Earth is very different from what we see today. The effects of global warming are rampant. Earth’s land is almost completely barren, leading humans to create Aquarians, a human-dolphin hybrid species that can adapt to the changing climate. The hybridization of humans and dolphins created tension among groups of opposing humans, leading to further tension with the species and subspecies inhabiting the sea. Relationships, on land and in the water, are further strained after chemical warfare and genetic engineering are used as weapons by the warring factions. However, there is a prophecy surrounding Ocypode, a half-human, half-Aquarian hybrid. The prophecy names Ocypode the Storm-Slayer. Will Ocypode, with the help of his allies and even some foes, be able to end the inter-species war and prevent the looming destruction of Earth?

First off, the world-building in Price of Eden is phenomenal and nothing short of high-level. The various sub-species and artificial intelligences that Burt created are all well thought out and meaningful; all characters, species, and sub-species play an important role in Burt’s jigsaw-puzzle like plot. Further, the under-the-water world where the majority of the story takes place is beautifully described and, thankfully, science is not ignored. The attention to scientific detail, like the communication by light and color instead of spoken word between the Cephaloan species that live in the Deep Black, brought the story to life in a realistic tone.

Second, the basic idea at the crux of Burt’s series is both relevant and unique. I thoroughly enjoyed the author’s use of progressed global warming to show the extensive lengths the Redeemers (human scientists) will go to in order to save the Earth and revive its lands. Further, the futuristic, scientific elements in this story are developed in a believable way. For example, ‘biosculpting’ and genetic engineering, though not unique on their own, were spun in an imaginative way that felt inventive yet also plausible.

Lastly, Price of Eden is the third installment in the series, and I highly recommend beginning with the first book. Although the author does a good job of seamlessly adding bits of information to the narrative so one has an understanding of the previous events leading up to the current plot, a lot of detail about the inter-species relationships and the appearances of the various species and characters is missed by not starting with the first book. There are so many intricate aspects in Burt's plotting and characterization, that to truly indulge in the beautiful world the author has created, one must start from the beginning.

It can be hard to standout in the sci-fi genre, but Brian Burt’s series has emerged with a visionary world and an equally imaginative plot, earning Price of Eden 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend this enchanting, underwater sci-fi adventure to readers who enjoy sci-fi/fantasy and are looking for something quite different from the usual options in the genre. The futuristic look at climate change and scientific advancement are well played out in this compellingly immersive tale.

The Price of Eden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Olajim
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Olajim »

This is informative warning ahead any going out of control of building any species that God created.Also possibility of Alien invasion on earth.
emmaskyblue
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by emmaskyblue »

Science and theological studies can never be separated. God wants man to take good care of his environment.
Ronellbuk

Post by Ronellbuk »

Science fiction for me anytime, nice book for adventurous..
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I saw this one on the list to review but was really worried as it was the third in a series. Sounds like a really great read. However, I would definitely start with the first on this one. Thanks for the review. I'll look it up.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

kandscreeley wrote:I saw this one on the list to review but was really worried as it was the third in a series. Sounds like a really great read. However, I would definitely start with the first on this one. Thanks for the review. I'll look it up.
I was also hesitant about it being the last in the series, but I figured I'd at least give it a try. Luckily, I was pleasantly surprised!
BookishBookkeeping
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishbookkeeping.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BookishBookkeeping »

I would agree with the review and want to start with the first book of the series. Even though I would still enjoy reading this book. I like it when sci-fi authors use today's issues for the bases of creating what a future world will look like. Good job on the review.
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
BestReviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2">Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bestreviews.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by BestReviews »

I totally agree that the effects of global warming are so rampant. I love the fact that this book educates a lot of people out there. I highly recommend it to everyone out there.

Nice Review.
BestReviews
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Bright10

Post by Bright10 »

Nice review, great creative story. It can be acted as an adventurous movie. Although we all know the world cannot go the way sci-fiction movies and stories want. All the same good review.
Troygrace39
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Troygrace39 »

Wow nice book love it. It have my mind in a fantasy adventure world. It grate
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like one great read. I love the plot, it sounds very interesting and quite timely. Though it sounds as if this book can be read as a standalone, I appreciate your suggestion to read the series in correct order. Great job on the review. Congratulation to Brian Burt on such an obviously well written book.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

I like it - this is the kind of intelligent story I'll love and I don't usually read science fiction. Great review!
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

This sounds like a really good read. What really makes me interested in reading it is the realistic science. I hate when Science Fiction novels contain no or really silly scientific explanations. Good review!
kjoan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3033">The Lost Symbol</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjoan.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by kjoan »

emmaskyblue wrote:Science and theological studies can never be separated. God wants man to take good care of his environment.
I agree. Eventually both sides of that divide will realise that they are actually two sides of the same coin.

I love the fact that the author has invested in making his plot believable.

This would be a perfect read for me. :D
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”