Official Review: Emma Gomez by Emma Gomez

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Emma Gomez by Emma Gomez

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Emma Gomez" by Emma Gomez.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Emma Gomez: A Courageous Woman Displays True Grit is an autobiography focusing on the author’s recollections of her achievements and how she attained them over the course of her life. Born in the rural mountains of Puerto Rico, Emma started out with very little. Over time, Emma’s experiences led her to New York City where she married her high school sweetheart and became a contributing member of the workforce. Emma faced many personal and professional struggles throughout her life, but perseverance and smart decision making led her on a journey to becoming a highly educated and successful woman.

The book is organized by topics and follows a relatively non-linear timeline. The author intersperses personal anecdotes with opinions on themes like child rearing, marriage, friendships, family and education. There is no doubt that the author has accomplished a great deal throughout her life and come a long way from her meager upbringing. Emma’s ability to continue improving her life, despite personal and professional setbacks, is inspiring.

Though there is a lot of merit to Emma’s achievements, the narration of this autobiography is rather irksome. The constant use of telling instead of showing makes the narrative almost unbearable in parts. The writing style fails to appeal to the reader’s senses and further fails to connect the reader to the author on an emotional level. Statements like ‘Now I will explain another incident,’ and ‘So let me tell you about this man,’ occur on almost every page and quickly become tedious to read. A successful narrator shouldn’t have to tell readers ‘this is the message I want to convey.’ Fundamentally, this message should be built into the narrative.

Any type of writing, whether it be fiction or non-fiction, must have structure. Unfortunately, this book significantly lacks structure and thus the narrative is a monotonous recitation of one event after another with unclear connection to the themes. Though many themes are touched upon, the associated personal anecdotes fail to transcend facts and connect to these themes. For example, the author implores the reader to consider the difficulty of being a female minority in the workplace; though many readers will know this is a relevant issue, the stories related to this topic are emotionally detached and the author always seems to come out on top, relatively unaffected by this theme.

Writing family history is an important part of life. However, an interesting life story doesn’t always translate into an engaging autobiography. I commend the author for all of her achievements. Unfortunately, the narration of this book doesn’t properly connect the reader to the author’s life. The flat writing style along with the lack of structure make this book considerably less influential than it should be; for those reasons, I rate Emma Gomez: A Courageous Woman Displays True Grit 2 out of 4 stars. If the narration had better structure and the stories included more emotion instead of factual recitations, I would have rated this book higher.

Emma Gomez
View: on Bookshelves

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Yeah, I think that style of narrative would get on my nerves as well. It's too bad as it sounds like it might have some good content. For now, I'll avoid this one. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

I love autobiographies and judging from your review, the author might have been in a hurry to tell her story. I think I'll let this one slip and console myself with the thought that after all, "it might have some good content". Thanks for the review, MariaRose
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

I wonder why this biography was written in the first place. But anyway, I usually stop reading when the narrative becomes dry. This is a helpful review.
-rk
Onyinyechukwu
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechukwu.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Onyinyechukwu »

Sound like an honest review, passed the message across clearly. Good work.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
John Cand
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-cand.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by John Cand »

Onyinyechukwu wrote:Sound like an honest review, passed the message across clearly. Good work.
I agree with this quote. Thanks for letting me know I can skip this one.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Princdavies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Princdavies »

Nice review..looks intresting

-- 15 Jul 2017, 02:19 --

Good one
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I dislike it when authors tell instead of show, it becomes more of a lecture. Thanks for the review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
JOELEKURI
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by JOELEKURI »

Yeah its the same here, telling to an extended length without showing brings tiresome to reading. its one reason i rarely read voluminous articles and books. but that should not discourage from reading if you really want to.
Quirinius
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65134">The Limitless Real Estate Leader</a>
Currently Reading: Sylvio: Past and Present
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Quirinius »

Love your review, Thanks

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”