Official Review: You'll Do Anything for Him

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: You'll Do Anything for Him

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "You'll Do Anything for Him" by Dr. Maureen E Hosier, Berta Hosier Conger.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As the title suggests, You’ll Do Anything for Him: A New Relationship Perspective, describes a different approach to understanding personal relationships. In this book, authors Dr. Maureen Hosier and Berta Hosier Conger, focus on the childhood events that shape us into the people we are in our adult relationships. The true theme, however, is about understanding ‘your self’ and learning how to be in a two-person relationship where both partners’ needs and feelings are considered, rather than a one-person relationship in which only one partner is catered to.

Every detail in this book, down to the structure of sentences and the format of chapters, sections and paragraphs, is carefully considered and meaningful. The narrative is presented in the form of one sentence paragraphs. Though this may seem like a strange format, the simple paragraphs work to emphasize the authors’ ideas and empower their words. The negative space on the page makes the individual sentences standout and compels the reader to carefully consider every word.

At 70 pages, this is by no means a long book. But just as the smallest details are considered in this book, so is every word. The authors avoid long, complicated explanations by honing in on the basic, universal childhood experiences and relationships at the crux of their new perspective. Further, the content and advice presented in this book is easy to understand, and a wide audience will be able to identify with this perspective. The perspective and associated advice can easily translate to all genders and orientations. However, as the title suggests, the writing is rather exclusive; it is clear that the writers describe their ideas from a female point of view in a heterosexual relationship. However, the ideas presented are equally connected to other genders and types of relationships. Further, assumptions are made that the female partner is always the partner trying to seek validation from the male counterpart. The use of neutral wording would give this book more universal appeal.

The book is best suited for adults; a younger audience may have a hard time connecting with many of the ‘growing-up’ years since they are most likely too close or too attached to those ages and memories to consider them from this new perspective. Even those currently involved in a positive relationship will gain something from reading about this new perspective. The concepts in this book transcend good and bad relationships because the focus is really on understanding ‘your self’ and learning how to live as your authentic self.

As someone who is not usually excited by self-help books, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. Although it is hard to come up with new ideas about age-old themes like relationships, You’ll Do Anything for Him is truly a unique approach to understanding the correlation between our pasts and our current relationships. Despite my hesitation about the limited perspective, the unique concepts, well-developed explanations, and meticulous attention to detail lead me to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

You'll Do Anything for Him
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I read this one, too, and felt pleasantly surprised as well. The authors did a great job in sharing their thoughts in a comprehensive and friendly way. There is another version of this book for the other sex. I believe it's the same material, just the pronouns are changed to reflect the other gender. Anyway, I agree with your assessment of this book, and I'm glad that you were able to enjoy this read! :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not really into self-help books. However, you never know when you'll find that little gem that just makes things click. Sounds like a good book, and the paragraph structure you mention intrigues me! Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
jeanneyangyong
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jeanneyangyong »

In this world we live in people show different ways how to love a person in different level. Love leads people to do anything and everything just the person we love most even if it cost our own life.
Mugoya Ernest

Post by Mugoya Ernest »

Incredible, gives an impression that definitely will lead anyone to read the book
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I don't usually like self-help books, but this one sounds interesting. I like that it's not one of those books where an author will stretch out a few basic points into 300 pages.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

hsimone wrote:I read this one, too, and felt pleasantly surprised as well. The authors did a great job in sharing their thoughts in a comprehensive and friendly way. There is another version of this book for the other sex. I believe it's the same material, just the pronouns are changed to reflect the other gender. Anyway, I agree with your assessment of this book, and I'm glad that you were able to enjoy this read! :)
After this was published, I saw the other book you refer to! I think it's great that the authors changed the pronouns, but I also think the same message could have been geared toward both partners, regardless of sex, in this book. Either way, it really was a surprisingly good and eye-opening read! Thanks for commenting!

-- 14 Jul 2017, 16:19 --
bookowlie wrote:Great review! I don't usually like self-help books, but this one sounds interesting. I like that it's not one of those books where an author will stretch out a few basic points into 300 pages.
I think that was one of my favorite aspects of the book! The authors made their point and moved on - no fluffy language added to pad the book length. Thanks for your comments :)
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Great review. Since it is a short book, let me see what I can learn from it.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
John Cand
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-cand.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by John Cand »

This sounds like a great self-help book. Thanks for the review.

-- 14 Jul 2017, 20:53 --

This sounds like a great self-help book. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

The book sounds interesting ...I definitely should read it sometimes!

Thanks for the review.
daddy kham

Post by daddy kham »

So true
beatriceanyango
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by beatriceanyango »

great ,its true loving someone youcan do whatever you can to keep the person.thanks

-- 18 Jul 2017, 06:04 --

great ,its true loving someone you :) can do whatever you can to keep the person.thanks.

-- 18 Jul 2017, 06:05 --

great ,its true loving someone you :) can do whatever you can to keep the person.thanks.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

Curious. I'm not usually a fan of self-help books, but this review makes me consider to read this book. Thank you.
-rk
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I really like the review and the plot of the book. I am going to read this book now.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Ayokunle

Post by Ayokunle »

This is a great contribution no doubt. The place of mutual love in romantic relationships is given prominence in this work. There is also a considerable attention given to style and structure in this text. This for me is unusual as well as noteworthy.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”