Problem: Kindle App won't open .mobi file (Solved)

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
Jabbott09
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Colleen Hoover
Bookshelf Size: 8
fav_author_id: 3542

Re: Problem: Kindle App won't open .mobi file (Solved)

Post by Jabbott09 »

How do you do that?

Option 1 - You can use a file manager on your device. Your device may already have one pre-installed even if you have never used it. You can also download a free one from the appropriate app store.

Option 2 - You can plug the phone into your computer and move the file from your phone's download folder to your the books folder for your Kindle app.

Option 3 - You can download the book to your computer, plug your phone into your computer and then move the file from your computer to your Kindle app.

*all of these are for the app, which I have and it works, but I want to download it to my kindle paper. Much easier for reading.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Jabbott09 wrote:How do you do that?

Option 1 - You can use a file manager on your device. Your device may already have one pre-installed even if you have never used it. You can also download a free one from the appropriate app store.

Option 2 - You can plug the phone into your computer and move the file from your phone's download folder to your the books folder for your Kindle app.

Option 3 - You can download the book to your computer, plug your phone into your computer and then move the file from your computer to your Kindle app.

*all of these are for the app, which I have and it works, but I want to download it to my kindle paper. Much easier for reading.
The steps are generally the same for the Kindle App as for an actual Kindle. A Kindle is basically just a device that has the Kindle App pre-installed. However, I do have a special topic for doing it with the Kindle:
Problem: Kindle Fire won't open .mobi file (solved)
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Jabbott09
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Colleen Hoover
Bookshelf Size: 8
fav_author_id: 3542

Post by Jabbott09 »

Thank you,
I was able to plug it into my macbook and move the file into the documents on my kindle and it opens and holds my place in the book as well. Thank you for your help! Looking forward to reading and reviewing!
Jabbott09
Smangele Reads
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smangele-reads.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper

Post by Smangele Reads »

Good day,
I'm struggling to get back to the page where I choose the format in which I wish to read the book. I had chosen pdf (which won't download), now it seems I cannot get back to the page where I change the choice format. I want to choose the Kindle App.

Please Help.

Thanks
Smangele
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Smangele Reads wrote:Good day,
I'm struggling to get back to the page where I choose the format in which I wish to read the book. I had chosen pdf (which won't download), now it seems I cannot get back to the page where I change the choice format. I want to choose the Kindle App.

Please Help.

Thanks
Smangele
I don't think you can go back. However, you can convert the pdf to mobi via the Calibre application (which is free).
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
chinasa

Post by chinasa »

I was unable to download the free kindle app with reason thatThe app is not available in nigeria.
What should I do?
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

chinasa wrote:I was unable to download the free kindle app with reason thatThe app is not available in nigeria.
What should I do?
What other app are available in your country? You should try them.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
yc123
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 906">percy jackson</a>
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by yc123 »

I tried option one and it didn't work. It just says that it cannot find and application to run it. I am using a samsung j1.this is the first time I have tried it with a kindle app but I have done before with a different site that is no longer working. Suggestions?
Karen Mars
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Karen Mars »

I have downloaded my first book in mobi on my Samsung 7 android phone. I installed the free kindle app and Did Option one by insralling a free file manager rhat would do file transfers. When I tried to transfer the book download to rhe Kindle app (which was an option) I got a message saying "cannot open file". I have been working at this for over 2 hours and am completely discouraged. If I can't get it opened tomorrow, I no longer want to be part of this review group. I don't need this kind of stress!!
Kyle789
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyle789.html
Latest Review: "My trip to Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Kyle789 »

The file doesn't open no matter what I do.
Latest Review: "My trip to Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Vampire Angel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vampire Angel »

Same problem. The file shows up as a mobi. Won't open on my Kindle or my laptop. Wasn't able to get it to open.Finally deleted the download.
TWINKLEKHAYLAH

Post by TWINKLEKHAYLAH »

How do I DL a copy of the book?
HLADY
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by HLADY »

My device cannot open kindle app
artemis822
Currently Reading: Master Class
Bookshelf Size: 186
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artemis822.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by artemis822 »

I downloaded the book to both phone(Galaxy s7 edge) and laptop. I have the "send to kindle" app, which had worked previously, but doesn't get received. I can transfer the file. But no matter where I try to drop it, it won't open. It will show up in the app, but as soon as I try to open it I get errors, in app for both PC and Android.

I also tried to use other mobi file readers, and have had no luck with those either. :evil:
Karen Mars
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Karen Mars »

I have already posted a request for help (#84) and am in a long line waiting for an answer. Now I am receiving nasty posts insisting that I need to "update my status". And then I get sent to this area again when I try to indicate a problem. As I said in my first post, I don't need this kind of stress in my life. Please remove me from your list of reviewers. I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR FROM THIS SITE AGAIN!!

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”