Review by chidigr8 -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
chidigr8
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chidigr8.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Review by chidigr8 -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by chidigr8 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

BOOK REVIEW

Title: STRONG HEART
Author: CHARLIE SHELDON
Pages: 261
Publishers: Iron Twine Press, Washington, USA
Reviewer: Ikenna D. Ekwerike

Strong Heart, by Charlie Sheldon is a fiction constructed around an age-long conflict between science and native legends in the unsettled question of who first settled in North America after the last ice age. Now, while Tom and his friend William together with Myra, William’s daughter had concluded plans to visit Tom’s grandfather’s grave at Bear Valley deep inside the Olympic Peninsula by morning, they were taken aback, when Ruth, Tom’s ex-wife suddenly appears amidst a heavy rainstorm, unannounced, bearing a frail little girl, Sarah, whom she declared was Tom’s granddaughter and abandoned her there. Tom had no prior knowledge of Sarah’s existence and was caught between cancelling a much anticipated and crucial journey or bring Sarah along.

The choice became to take Sarah, a 12 or 13 year old mysterious and difficult girl along. Sarah shows great drawing skill by perfectly sketching a huge short-faced bear she was sure she had seen as she took a walk across the meadow whereas Myra claims the short-faced bear has been extinct thousands of years ago. Tom shows his friends an ancient atlatl whose origin is unknown and which he is returning to his grandfather’s grave even as Myra argues the artefact if dated, will help to stop an impending Buckhorn deal. Unfortunately, Sarah strangely disappears with the artefact only to reappear after eight days, badly wounded, shabby and later became unconscious. The atlatl is gone! Sarah tells her weird tale of encounter with the skin boat people and the razor stone people.

The most striking aspect of the book, for me, is its theme on climate through which the author systematically treated the impact of global warming on the environment as seen in the disappearance of the ice age as a result of the earth heating up. The book explains a possible cause of flooding and tsunamis where so much water is locked up in ocean ice but ocean levels rise when the water locked up in the ice is released as the ices melt. The narrative technique used in Strong Heart held me spellbound following the ability of the author to clearly evoke strong imageries that spurred me to wild imaginations. With each chapter containing not more than 4 to 9 pages, it was possible for me to read the book with much ease. This must have been a deliberate strategy to assure me that, at least, I was making some progress in the reading and to sustain my interest in the book. The humour in the character of Tom, especially when he spoke to William, added to the entertainment derivable from this book.

However, I think the book gave too much boring details of the journey and events in Sarah’s dreamland tale. Alternatively, rather than dedicate entire chapters 15 through 22, at a stretch, to the first part of Sarah’s story, the book should have avoided the monotony with interjections and reactions from the persons to whom the story was being told. The story continued again from chapter 37 to 41 in the same monotonous manner.

As a proof that I enjoyed Strong Heart, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. This is one book in which I have seen a perfect blend of legend and science around a controversial topic as origins. The story broadly explores ancestral relationships, affirming that humans have a common source. I greatly enjoyed how the character of Sarah developed: from a condemned, chaotic, and stubborn child whom Tom regretted came his way in the first place, to a heroine and creative personality he will later never want to miss. The author creatively related Sarah’s dreamland tales to the very mystery which Tom and his associates were trying hard to unravel. Thus, by analysing the twists and turns in her tale, Sergei was able to create logical relationships between what Sarah saw and the reality facing them. I would recommend this book to everyone who would love to witness a robust interaction between science and legends. People who enjoy items that challenge their imaginative resources would find the book a great read. As it were, this book may appeal less to people who are impatient with a lot of details.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like chidigr8's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for your insightful review. I agree that the book really had been focused on details, which is an obvious product of research and consultations that the author says he has put through before publishing the book. I think it's good news for those of us who enjoyed this book as volume 2 is on its way, and volume 3 is also being written based on what I read from somewhere in this club's pages. Cheers.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”