Official Review: Cycle of Being by Jahleen Wright

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: Cycle of Being by Jahleen Wright

Post by jamesabr »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cycle of Being" by Jahleen Wright.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cycle of Being is a drama and poetry book written by Jahleen Wright. Wright was raised in Jamaica and refers to herself as an “Island Girl” who writes poetry as her primary outlet. Her collection of poems is organized into five chapters and 86 pages. Each chapter is categorized by the theme most prominent among the poems.

At first, I found the poems interesting because none of them were organized in chronological order. This element added an interesting view of the author’s past as a child, adolescent, and adult. Between the first two chapters, the themes of perseverance, nostalgia, and self-improvement are most prevalent in optimistic tones throughout some of the poems. The darker poems exemplify a constant the need for hope in the author’s life.

I liked the variety of rhetorical devices Wright employed throughout her poems. The first two chapters conveyed a tone of hope through well-executed rhyme and imagery. In the third chapter, Passion, the sexual imagery and rhetorical questions regarding the of making love and the sin of lust demonstrated how her thoughts on sex may change.

In chapter four, Wright held drew me in. This chapter's poems concerned rejection and lacking trust in a relationship. She started the chapter with my favorite poem of the collection, “365 Days of Trust”. It focused on the subject of broken promises very well. Wright seemed the most emotionally vulnerable in this chapter. She maintained the rhyme and meter that supported a hopeful tone in the first two chapters, but used it to shift the tone to convey her feelings of rejection.

I identified the most with the poems in the final chapter, Introspection. They were deeply meditative and had good pacing. When I read them aloud, the short rhymes and stanzas seemed to communicate confidence in each word. Longer rhymes and stanzas, which contained rich imagery and metaphors, unpacked the doubts and wisdom from Wright’s experiences.

There were only a couple of things that I didn’t like in the collection. Since I’m not religious, the emphasis on submission to a deity’s divine plan was dull to me, but I’m sure Wright’s Christian readers would appreciate it. I recommend this book for women, Christian or otherwise, who are at least eighteen years old. There were also poems that lacked a comma for a necessary pause that would have improved the meter.

I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4. I give it this rating because I feel that the poems were written carefully in order to convey the uncertainties and realities of life’s most memorable moments. From my perspective, Wright is a gifted poet. She managed to evoke hope and deep introspection. This collection was a good break from current events, but it didn’t pull me too far away from them to feel despondent once I finished reading it.

Cycle of Being
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like jamesabr's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Chrys Brobbey
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrys-brobbey.html
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis

Post by Chrys Brobbey »

As a lover and writer of poetry this excellent review arouses an urge in me to read this book. And the sooner the better for me as I think I can learn much more in the art of poetry writing. Thanks a lot.
Latest Review: "Break up with Defeat" by Jermaine Francis
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Poetry isn't really my thing but this does sound intriguing. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy it. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

I love poetry because poetry is also a food for the soul. I will surely love this book because it is poetry and it is meditative. I recommend this book especially that this month is the commemoration of the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This seems like a great poetry collection to read. The thing about poetry is that it is so powerful and can evoke so many emotions from the author and the readers. I'm going to add this to my bookshelf. I want to read about this author's emotional journey.

Great Review! :character-shaggy:
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Zahid ali
Currently Reading: Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Zahid ali »

so many emotions from the author and the readers. I'm going to add this to my bookshelf. I want to read about this author's emotional journey Good reveiw
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Since I am a Christian and I love poetry this seems like my cup of tea. Great review. I really like that the emotions seem so raw in this collection. Thanks.
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

This was a very insightful review. It sounds like a very interesting book of poetry. I will consider reading this in the future.
peace starts with a smile...

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”