Official Review: The Missing Child by Bruce R Guerin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Official Review: The Missing Child by Bruce R Guerin

Post by micoleon13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Missing Child" by Bruce R Guerin.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Missing Child is the first novel by Bruce R. Guerin and is classified as other fiction.

Jake is a retired police detective and ex-Marine who has found his niche as a private investigator. One day his work hits a little too close to home when he is asked to investigate the disappearance of someone who he knows personally. Jake met Julia, the daughter of multi billionaire Charles Alexander, and immediately was drawn to her open and honest character. After Julia goes missing and the police and FBI have no leads, Charles takes matters into his own hands and turns to Jake for help in finding his daughter.

Jake throws himself into the investigation and draws on all of his old Marine friends, as well as their international contacts, to try and trace Julia´s disappearance. Jake will stop at nothing to get her back again, but when every second counts, will he get to her in time?

This story starts in the United States but quickly crosses the globe, with the team searching in Canada, France and the Middle East in search of any trace of Julia and her abductors. Written in first person, the story is portrayed from Jake´s perspective. This allows the reader to appreciate how driven Jake is and how determined he is to do whatever possible to have Julia safe again.

While Jake is the main character here, the reader is introduced to the secondary characters who make up the rescue team. All have ties to Julia and share Jake´s determination in this mission. They bring their various skills to the group, whether it be martial arts, medical knowledge or to provide a sounding board for Jake´s ideas. This in turn helps to emphasize his leadership qualities. Julia’s character comes across as a very strong willed and determined woman, which helps to realistically emphasize that anyone can become a victim of an attack.

The story deals with several serious topics such as abductions, human trafficking, physical and sexual abuse and all the horrors which these entail. One thing which I liked about this story was that there was a lot of emphasis on Julia´s mental health. One of their main concerns was that even if they got to her in time, how damaged would she be psychologically and what would be the best way to go about helping her. Many stories involving kidnapping or abduction focus just on the rescue itself rather than the long running repercussions. This aspect of the book provided a nice sense of reality.

While I liked the idea of the plot and the various points the author portrayed, there were a lot of errors in the writing. There was an overuse of incorrectly placed semi colons and commas throughout the story. This severely altered the flow of the writing as well as making it quite disjointed. The pace of the story itself was also very slow with unnecessary repetition or over explaining of certain things.

This was a good first attempt at a novel with some original plot ideas and the incorporation of serious topics, but it would definitely benefit from some more editing. I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars as the punctuation errors really altered the flow of the writing and made it more difficult reading than necessary. I would recommend this book to those not put off by excess punctuation, as well as to those interested in crime and rescue fiction.

The Missing Child
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Like you, I like the idea of the plot. It sounds like it has potential. Unfortunately, I don't think I would like the unnecessary repetition or the slow pace. Thanks for the review. I'll wait for another edit. :)
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
jeanneyangyong
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jeanneyangyong »

The story is happening at the present. Parent or a dear friend will do everything to find their love ones at all cost.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

It is unique for a crime novel to devote time to mental health. The summary is a bit long but insightful.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

Is the pacing really that bad for the book to be rated 2 out of 4 stars? I haven't read the book myself, so I wouldn't really know. The plot looks engaging to read. Thank you for the review.
-rk
sarjio

Post by sarjio »

I am impressed by the review in the essence that it creates the picture of what happened though it is a bit long.
Quincunx Dennison
Currently Reading: Feral
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Quincunx Dennison »

Jake is a retired police detective and ex-Marine who has found his niche as a private investigator. One day his work hits a little too close to home when he is asked to investigate the disappearance of someone who he knows personally. Jake met Julia, the daughter of multi billionaire Charles Alexander, and immediately was drawn to her open and honest character. After Julia goes missing and the police and FBI have no leads, Charles takes matters into his own hands and turns to Jake for help in finding his daughter.

Jake throws himself into the investigation and draws on all of his old Marine friends, as well as their international contacts, to try and trace Julia´s disappearance. Jake will stop at nothing to get her back again, but when every second counts, will he get to her in time?

This story starts in the United States but quickly crosses the globe, with the team searching in Canada, France and the Middle East in search of any trace of Julia and her abductors. Written in first person, the story is portrayed from Jake´s perspective. This allows the reader to appreciate how driven Jake is and how determined he is to do whatever possible to have Julia safe again.

While Jake is the main character here, the reader is introduced to the secondary characters who make up the rescue team. All have ties to Julia and share Jake´s determination in this mission. They bring their various skills to the group, whether it be martial arts, medical knowledge or to provide a sounding board for Jake´s ideas. This in turn helps to emphasize his leadership qualities. Julia’s character comes across as a very strong willed and determined woman, which helps to realistically emphasize that anyone can become a victim of an attack.

The story deals with several serious topics such as abductions, human trafficking, physical and sexual abuse and all the horrors which these entail. One thing which I liked about this story was that there was a lot of emphasis on Julia´s mental health. One of their main concerns was that even if they got to her in time, how damaged would she be psychologically and what would be the best way to go about helping her. Many stories involving kidnapping or abduction focus just on the rescue itself rather than the long running repercussions. This aspect of the book provided a nice sense of reality.

While I liked the idea of the plot and the various points the author portrayed, there were a lot of errors in the writing. There was an overuse of incorrectly placed semi colons and commas throughout the story. This severely altered the flow of the writing as well as making it quite disjointed. The pace of the story itself was also very slow with unnecessary repetition or over explaining of certain things.

This was a good first attempt at a novel with some original plot ideas and the incorporation of serious topics, but it would definitely benefit from some more editing. I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars as the punctuation errors really altered the flow of the writing and made it more difficult reading than necessary. I would recommend this book to those not put off by excess punctuation, as well as to those interested in crime and rescue fiction.
BestReviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2">Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bestreviews.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by BestReviews »

After reading your review, I just feel like I have to wait for the next edit. I don't like reading books where the subplots do not flow. Thank you
BestReviews
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
janetcheror

Post by janetcheror »

looking forward to the next edit Iam impressed though
ignatious

Post by ignatious »

eagerly waiting for the next edition,liked it.
Abuta
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abuta.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Abuta »

I agree with you on the plot which is well done but the book requires an edit. The story can be good but if badly punctuated the flow gets completely altered ending up with something the author never intended to portray. Thanks for your candid review.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Ndayisabayamado3
Currently Reading: I Can't Make This Up
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Ndayisabayamado3 »

I love the story of war history, this is a wonderful review. Otherwise ,there much errors repeated overtime.
I really feel excited and eager to read a correct edit.Thanks
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

Thanks for your review. It sounds like an interesting and insightful book; especially with the concerns about mental health. This is not a genre I typically read, so even without the punctuation and flow issues, I wouldn't read it. I hope it gets further editing, though, so that it can live up to the very interesting story the author has created.
peace starts with a smile...
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

I really like your description of the plot, but all of the errors would bother me. I will just have to wait until it is edited. Great review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”