Official Review: Guerrilla and counter-guerrilla

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Official Review: Guerrilla and counter-guerrilla

Post by Acwoolet »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Guerrilla and counter-guerrilla" by Jehan Morel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you’re like me you know next to nothing about any sort of Guerrilla warfare, what little exposure you had was briefly touched on in a history class too many years ago to recall what had actually been discussed. Guerrilla and Counter-Guerrilla: Theory and Practice written by Jehan Morel is a non-fiction novel that draws on the author’s first hand experience as a soldier in French Indochina and Central Africa and also his knowledge as a scholar of military science. This novel gives an incredibly in depth view of both sides of this type of warfare.

What I thought to be a dry subject that couldn’t possibly be especially complicated turned out to be completely the opposite. It’s not the pillaging of villages and leaving them to burn that my un-researched brain had believed it to be. It’s a world of intrigue, deception, psychological warfare, and even cyber-warfare. Guerrilla and Counter-Guerrilla digs deeply in the rich history of these types of warfare; thoroughly explaining where exactly it came from and how it has developed into the warfare it is today. It also gives an in depth view of the day to day life of a soldier in this type of combat, ranging from when they eat and sleep to communications and marching through the jungle. The author also thoroughly discusses the opposite views of Counter-guerrilla warfare, its ideal physical and mechanical foundations, and the ways to approach each counter attack towards the enemy.

While the novel discusses a very serious subject, the author brings some humor into his writing that definitely compliments the novel, leaving the reader with not only greater knowledge on the subject, but also a sense of enjoyment in reading the novel. Guerrilla and Counter-Guerrilla is incredibly well written and thoroughly cites all of its references; making me believe that it could possibly be used in many classroom settings in the future. Each chapter flows easily from one to the next without any lulls or stagnant ideas, explaining each section carefully so that someone who doesn’t have any knowledge of Guerrilla warfare is able to understand how it works. Also complimenting the novel are quite a few historical photos of the author’s time as a soldier and maps depicting each region that he discusses.

I had chosen to read this novel because the historical aspect of analyzing these two different types of warfare intrigued me. While I had expected it to be interesting, I figured that it was possibly a little bit dry. However, I was very pleasantly surprised to not only have learned quite a lot of Guerrilla warfare, but to have also enjoyed reading the novel. I believe that lovers of non-fiction and readers intrigued by Guerrilla warfare will completely enjoy reading this novel, and will definitely learn something in the process.

Because I enjoyed reading this novel so much, I give Guerrilla and Counter-Guerrilla a 4 out of 4 stars. It is very well written, informative, and enjoyable. I couldn’t find anything to dislike about the novel and therefore whole-heartedly recommend it.

Guerrilla and counter-guerrilla
View: on Bookshelves

Like Acwoolet's review? Post a comment saying so!
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Well, I can honestly say I had a lot of the same assumptions about this topic as you originally stated. I'm glad this topic was actually eye-opening and interesting to learn about. Although, I don't know that this book is for me, I'm glad you found it successful!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think I remember guerilla warfare from school. I'm sure I could brush up on it though. It does sound dry but I'm glad the author jazzes it up a little. Love the humor. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
BestReviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2">Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bestreviews.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by BestReviews »

Nicely presented review. I don't feel like this book is for me. Thank you for the review
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
BookishBookkeeping
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishbookkeeping.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BookishBookkeeping »

I admit when I first read the title I thought it would be a bit dry, but I'm pleasantly surprised at my interest in the subject. Guerilla warfare isn't something taught in schools these days so being able to glean some information through a novel is great. Thanks for the good review.
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Nthabeleng
Currently Reading: Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nthabeleng.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Nthabeleng »

Judging by the cover an the title I'd never read this book but your review gives it life, thanks Acwoolet
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
yellosteel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by yellosteel »

While am apt to commend the author for a taking up a seemingly dry subject like a guerrilla warfare,and yet,still make it somewhat attractive to readers, the review as a barometer of course, i honestly wont be able to say the same thing when it comes to the book proper. That's not saying its not a great book though, just that I don't feel its for me .Thanks for the review.
Kosgei C Judith
Favorite Author: Ronelle Antoinette
Bookshelf Size: 6
fav_author_id: 42445

Post by Kosgei C Judith »

By reviewing the book it gave me way to read the book, but by the topic guerilla warfare one may neglect the book

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”