Do you think Amy and Nick both believed in their marriage?

Discuss the October 2014 book of the month, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.
zoekrast
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do you think Amy and Nick both believed in their marriag

Post by zoekrast »

I think they both love each other so much, that they went to this toxic phase.
Vogwenxtwin
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vogwenxtwin.html

Post by Vogwenxtwin »

Well...I think Nick believed in it at first, and I think Amy immersed herself to the point of some sort of belief in her own fantasy. I think Nick had a very specific idea of their relationship, at first. I also feel like they both were very selfish (Amy being the most overt) but that Nick's selfishness was mostly harmless until Amy's inherent craziness started to really come out. At the end, I think Nick has some sort of Stockholm Syndrome going on.
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

I think that they believed in their marriage, but only as far as they understood it. Nick believed in his marriage to Amy but didn't know it was an illusion. Amy believed in her marriage to Nick without realizing he didn't see through the illusion. The reality was different from their beliefs, but for what it's worth I think they genuinely believed in their false reality of a marriage.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I think they both believed in their marriage and they both did what they felt was right to try to make it last. But in the end, it didn't work out the way they wanted it to.
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

I agree that they believed in the same illusion of marriage but they never really worked toward it. Then they deluded themselves and each other and made themselves fit into the illusion of the marriage before everything fell apart.
My weekend is all booked!
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

No, I don't believe any of them believed in their marriage. They had a very corrupted and twisted relationship. Amy is really crazy!
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I think both seem too self absorbed to have been able to invest and believe in their marriage. If neither noticed what each other were hiding then it doesn't seem like they paid enough attention to or cared enough about each other.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

No they did not. It was like a pretend play. Amy trying to control and Nick instead of taking a stand, running here and there and using escapism
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I am quite uncertain as this is an intense one. I think they both are accustomed to acting and not acting naturally, along these lines not putting completely in the marriage. Then again, both appeared a little devastated after some time which proposes the marriage implied something to them.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Karen0823
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karen0823.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Karen0823 »

People get married and stay married for different reasons. They are all very personal reasons. Of course, as most couples do, Amy and Nick were showing their best selves in the beginning of the relationship. This can be dangerous when you eventually find out who the real person is that you married. As toxic as this relationship became, I think in some weird, twisted way, they still placed value on their relationship and at least, to some extent, wanted to believe in it.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
kate_nguyen
Currently Reading: Alexis Zorba
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-nguyen.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by kate_nguyen »

In a wicked way, yes. I think Amy did it hoping their marriage would work when she came back. When she started writing the diary she wanted to punish Nick but deep down she wished he would notice something wrong and made their marriage works.
jennibarnhart
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by jennibarnhart »

I don't think they knew what they believed in. I think they were just addicted to each other in any way, whether that be to torment, control, love, please, trick, punish or confuse the other. One way or another, they are both obsessed with one another. In the end, they are just more aware of the sick games they play, but in reality cannot live without each other.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Both believed in their marriage at first. However, as the problems came, they both decided not to work on it together. Meaning, they didn't believe they can save it together.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I think they had some preformed rosy concepts about 'perfect marriages', but the reality proved to be otherwise. And instead of working on it, they maintained their self-obsession. Unfortunately, that seemed to follow a largely destructive path, taking into account their dramatic nature. After that, I guess there was no returning!
Crazybud
Favorite Author: Amy Zhang
Currently Reading: Shiver
Bookshelf Size: 1237
fav_author_id: 19621

Post by Crazybud »

I do think they believed in the marriage, but also that they thought it was easy. Marriage doesn't work without the coperation of the couples and I think that's where they failed. Both Nick and Amy never strived towards making it work, and then it was too late for them to do anything.
"I'd rather die on an adventure, than live standing still"
- Delilah Bard, A Darker Shade of Magic

Return to “"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn”