Official Review: Arlington Anthology by Ron MacDonald

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Official Review: Arlington Anthology by Ron MacDonald

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Arlington Anthology" by Ron MacDonald.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Arlington Anthology by Ron MacDonald consists of more than a hundred accounts of people who are buried at the Arlington National Cemetery. These accounts ranged from presidents, literary figures, astronauts, soldiers, nurses, slaves, civilians, and many more. The people of these accounts come from as far back as the Revolutionary War to the present day. Some of these stories were based on eyewitness or historical accounts, while other stories were told from their own words. Each chapter in the book tells the story of how each person came to be buried at the cemetery.

Since the book is told in the perspective of a different person in each chapter, there isn't a main storyline. The content of this book is very sobering which makes sense because it is a book about war. The author does a good job in describing the effects war can have on a person both during and after it. The author not only includes wars that date back to the eighteenth century, but also describes the different roles of how each person ended up in the cemetery.

This book not only talked about the lives of soldiers, but it also talked about people who personally knew famous people like Abraham Lincoln. There was an account of a person who served twelve presidents in his life. There were also a variety of stories from soldiers from the Revolutionary War to the Iraq War who were given medals like the Silver Star and the Medal of Honor. There were a lot of stories in this book, but there were a few that popped out to me. For example, there was a soldier, who became a baseball player after he served in the army, that was mistakenly named as the inventor of baseball.

I often had to reread a couple of sentences because of the amount of grammatical errors and spelling mistakes that I came across. Even though this book talked a lot about war, the war scenes weren't too graphic. However, I had to read this book in short periods of time because some of the material took time to digest. While I was reading this book, I would often read that out of hundreds of soldiers who went into a battle only a couple of them came out alive. This was pretty shocking to read. The atrocities of war were depicted realistically in this book, and I teared up a lot after reading a couple of heartbreaking accounts of these brave men and women.

Overall, I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. Although I enjoyed reading each of the stories, there were numerous grammatical errors and spelling mistakes, so I often had to reread sentences to understand what I was reading. After reading this book, I gained a better understanding of the sacrifices that brave men and women had to make. I recommend this book to those who like to read historical fiction novels, especially novels about war.

Arlington Anthology
View: on Bookshelves

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Lloyd west
Favorite Author: Tim Dreffin
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 102253

Post by Lloyd west »

What i opening to see how does persons recover from the war and the restoration of life, the preventative measures against future wars. over all is was good job.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! Sounds like a really good book. It's too bad about all the mistakes, but hopefully they can be corrected in another round of editing. I love the fact that there are a whole bunch of stories from all the people buried there. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

kandscreeley wrote:Wow! Sounds like a really good book. It's too bad about all the mistakes, but hopefully they can be corrected in another round of editing. I love the fact that there are a whole bunch of stories from all the people buried there. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for reading!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
michle
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by michle »

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Lloyd west wrote:What i opening to see how does persons recover from the war and the restoration of life, the preventative measures against future wars. over all is was good job.
BestReviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2">Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bestreviews.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by BestReviews »

OMG!!! This book is a MUST read. I love the way you express yourself.

Nice Review.
BestReviews
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

BestReviews wrote:OMG!!! This book is a MUST read. I love the way you express yourself.

Nice Review.
Thanks for reading!
BestReviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2">Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry</a>
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bestreviews.html

Post by BestReviews »

ZenaLei7 wrote:
BestReviews wrote:OMG!!! This book is a MUST read. I love the way you express yourself.

Nice Review.
Thanks for reading!
You are welcome ZenaLei7
BestReviews
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

A book with different perspectives all tied together by the theme of how war affects us. Sounds like a deep book. Thank you for the review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

Kelebogile Mbangi wrote:A book with different perspectives all tied together by the theme of how war affects us. Sounds like a deep book. Thank you for the review.
Thanks!
Ndayisabayamado3
Currently Reading: I Can't Make This Up

Post by Ndayisabayamado3 »

I was interesting but the story is war and cemetery , :( something i get afraid of , so it is a good book of historical fiction
.So i recommend it to students to learn more about world famous history.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

Ndayisabayamado3 wrote:I was interesting but the story is war and cemetery , :( something i get afraid of , so it is a good book of historical fiction
.So i recommend it to students to learn more about world famous history.
Thanks for reading!
Ndayisabayamado3
Currently Reading: I Can't Make This Up

Post by Ndayisabayamado3 »

Thank you too, i am extremely happy so much!!
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

Sounds like an amazing book for those who love history and appreciate those who serve our country! Great Review!
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

jemgirl202 wrote:Sounds like an amazing book for those who love history and appreciate those who serve our country! Great Review!
Thanks for reading!

Return to “Historical Fiction”