Official Review: Angels, Angels Everywhere by Susan M Branz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Angels, Angels Everywhere by Susan M Branz

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Angels, Angels Everywhere" by Susan M Branz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Angels, Angels Everywhere by Susan M Branz is a 20 page picture book about Alieya, a young girl, and her interest in angels. Throughout her young life, Alieya’s mother has told her stories about God and the angels, and Alieya has always enjoyed admiring the beautiful, angelic figurines at her gram’s house. Alieya is very curious; she wonders about how the angels were created, what they look like, and where they live. In the story, Alieya explores these questions with her family.

The author shows true understanding of her intended audience. The curiosity and imagination of a young child are captured exceptionally well in the personality of the main character. It will be easy for young children to relate to Alieya and her thoughts. Further, the author’s attention to minor details, like Alieya’s pet cat, Tajo, who appears by her side throughout the narrative, really brings the story to life. Lastly, the length of the book is just right; the narrative is long enough to tell a meaningful story, but short enough to maintain the attention of young readers.

The watercolor illustrations are charming and striking. The choice of medium for the illustrations, along with the color palette used, give the images an ethereal feel; the illustrations align well with the themes of faith and God present in this book. The contrast between the warm and cool tones found in the illustrations adds to their appeal and really makes the images pop from the page. The illustrator, Ashley Bostanic, skillfully avoids cartoon-like images, and focuses on imaginative and expressive imagery, ensuring the pictures correlate to the words on the adjoining page and work to enhance the story. The combination of style, color choice, and expression give the illustrations a unique and harmonious feel. Though simple in some ways, the illustrations provide a cozy, homey feel that children and adults will find comforting.

The religious overtones in the story are clear yet subtle. The author expertly avoids preachy writing by focusing the story on Alieya and her connection to angels. The questions Alieya asks about angels come about organically; they don’t feel forced or obvious. Everything considered, Angels, Angels Everywhere seamlessly integrates religion with the delightful story of an inquisitive child.

Parents will enjoy the positive message and thoughtful illustrations found in Angels, Angels Everywhere. This is a book that can easily be read over and over; it is sure to become a bed-time favorite because of the comfortable and safe sentiment the story conveys. The well-crafted narrative coupled with the harmonious illustrations earns Angels, Angels Everywhere 4 out of 4 stars. This book is most appropriate for younger children, between the ages of 2 and 6, but would be just as enjoyable for older children as well. The mentions of faith are strongly related to Christian faith, so this book may not be appropriate for all families.

Angels, Angels Everywhere
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
momiji77
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by momiji77 »

I adore the title I would love to read but it wont let me.
Juz Ongtangco
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 242">Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter Series #2)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juz-ongtangco.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Post by Juz Ongtangco »

It sounds like a wonderful book: showcasing the curious minds of children. It is definitely a book I would gift to my nieces and nephews and a book I would want to read myself. Lovely review Marisa!
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a really great book. I love that the illustrations are watercolor and how you describe them as ethereal. Fits the theme well. Glad you enjoyed the book so much. Great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Paul Burgundy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Paul Burgundy »

Awesome
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

kandscreeley wrote:This sounds like a really great book. I love that the illustrations are watercolor and how you describe them as ethereal. Fits the theme well. Glad you enjoyed the book so much. Great review.
Thank you! I appreciate the kind words! :)
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

The illustration on the cover is what drew me at first. It sounds like such a cute book. I dislike preachy books so this sounds great. Thank you for the review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
JOELEKURI
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by JOELEKURI »

This book sure got a thumbs up if the reviewer could applaud it this way nice i must say.
Penny Lee
Favorite Author: R. A. Salvatore
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 485
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-lee.html
Latest Review: The Pirate Who Was Scared of Birds by Michelle Path
fav_author_id: 8463

Post by Penny Lee »

The delightful, comforting paintings and the description of text that will reassure children of God's presence and the presence of angels makes this sound like a great read for children and adults alike.
Littera scripta manet -- the written word remains.
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

Interesting. I'm curious about the book's art style, and how that style feels like when I'm looking at the pictures. You mentioned that the narrative is well-crafted and the illustrations are harmonious. It must be a really good children's book. I appreciate the review.
-rk
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

This book catches my attention as I read the title. Angels are really everywhere. I like the book. And, your review gives me some insights. Thank you very much for that.
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
Skillian
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skillian.html
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Post by Skillian »

Cute. This sounds like something I would enjoy getting for our son. I love that Tajo is white. We also have a white cat (Bella). So that would make it more fun for us. Thanks for the review!
I love LOVE. <3
Latest Review: "The Christ Killer" by Robert Attenborough

Return to “Children's Books”