Official Review: The Story of Our Generation

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Riki
Currently Reading: Middlesex
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riki.html
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey

Official Review: The Story of Our Generation

Post by Riki »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Story of Our Generation" by Matei Cazacu, Ioana Cretoiu & Ladislau G Hajos.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Story of Our Generation, written by Matei Cazacu, Ioana Cretoiu, and Ladislau G. Hajos, chronicles personal accounts of the Spiru Haret class of 1964 fifty years after graduation. The novel beautifully captures the essence of a generation but accomplishes so much more. While brimming with historical wealth, the non-fiction memoir cultivates a yearning to observe one’s life in the context of history. The Story of Our Generation, though speaking of 1960’s Romania struggling in the aftermath of World War II, parallels modern day. Any reader, no matter their genre partialities, will connect with the innocence of youth saturating this novel.

Section one of The Story of Our Generation provides ample historical context for later chapters. To truly understand and appreciate the novel in its entirety, a reader must understand the effects of The Cold War and World War II on Romania. As a reader with little knowledge of Romania, I greatly appreciated the first three chapters. This novel could’ve comprised itself only of personal accounts from past students, and it still would be a fantastic work of literature. But the authors desired a robust comprehension of Spiru Haret for the audience. This not only shows dedication but great consideration for the reader. Along with the history lesson provided in chapters one through three, chapters four and five conceptually develop what Spiru Haret meant to these students. Because of this, the tone of these chapters presents an informative, yet nostalgic presence. Though section one drags along at times, the knowledge, empathy, and sheer enjoyment gained is well worth a few slow spots.

Although I relished section one, I decided to review The Story of Our Generation for the personal stories of the Spiru Haret students. These personal accounts provide the bulk of the story, and they’re arguably the strongest portions. One of my favorite accounts comes from Matei Cazacu, an author of the novel.
Starting with Mrs. Linte, the ruthless and venal shrew (she would accept expensive gifts from parents): do you remember how she used to pull us by our ears, slap us and knock our heads together, and afterwards knock them against the blackboard? I call it sadism.
As a reader, I easily connected and visualized this scene due to the photographs provided. Because I previously saw both Mrs. Linte and Cazacu in class together, the scene unfolded naturally. Though some of the photos were small and not very clear, they all support the narrative beautifully. These photographs breathed depth and richness into The Story of Our Generation, providing another dimension of comprehension for readers.

The Story of Our Generation was translated into English so the book could reach a wider audience. There aren’t many glaring errors in translation, but there were enough for concern. Numerous personal accounts have misspelled words, confused tenses, or just awkwardly translated sentences. Two particular examples occurred in the table of contents within an editor's note. The word ‘responsibility’ was spelled as ‘responsibiliti,’ and ‘particular’ was spelled as ‘particvular.’ Another occurred in one of my favorite accounts. Stefan Andreescu re-tells stories from his academic years, one in which he was transferred to an all girl’s school. Though the account was humorous, issues with translations disrupted my enjoyment.
Thus, in “crafts” classes we has to do what the girls were doing, which meant learning to... knit.
Though excerpts like this were still very enjoyable, I wish the English translator displayed greater attention to detail.

The issues with translations, though mildly irritating, caused little stress in comparison to the formatting. The third section is composed entirely of personal accounts from Spiru Haret alumni, but page numbers are absent from this entire section. There are over 40 authors, and without page numbers, it's very difficult to jump from one story to another out of order. I have to slowly scroll through all previous accounts just to find a certain story. I actually gave up once because finding a story became such a cumbersome ordeal. Page numbers are such a necessity for reading, especially e-reading, that it's egregious any editor would let such a mistake occur.

Despite the issues with editing and translation, I give The Story of Our Generation 3 out of 4 stars. The novel was a true group effort of authors and friends coming together to create a wonderful experience. And their determination to share that experience with the world is truly admirable. Though the content was astounding and worthy of a four-star rating, concerns with editing outshined the novel at times. If The Story of Our Generation goes through another round of editing for a secondary edition, I’m confident all the issues will be corrected.

The Story of Our Generation
View: on Bookshelves

Like Riki's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "The People Up the Holler" by Roger L. Guffey
emmyjj51
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by emmyjj51 »

Marvelously great & good
Alex Kipchumba
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alex Kipchumba »

The story is interesting with some events reminding me of my school life time. Good book and enjoyable.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! Sounds like this is full of great information and good stories. I am sure that with a little bit more editing, this will be a fabulous read. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
BestReviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2">Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bestreviews.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by BestReviews »

I would love reading a book that captures the importance of our generation. Sounds like a lovely book. I highly recommend this book too.
BestReviews
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Timothy1987

Post by Timothy1987 »

This book is fantastic. I love it.
Finelandlouis

Post by Finelandlouis »

Well written review.
Mujanama Barnabas
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mujanama-barnabas.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by Mujanama Barnabas »

Indeed the book; The story of Our Generation is a such good book that i would not wish to just pass by without reading and thus I recommend it for all other readers.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
peter shapi

Post by peter shapi »

wow this story of Generation is interesting
Afrikaba Kwesi
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Afrikaba Kwesi »

The story of our generation, bring back the memories of war and the era of peace, this is an awesome piece. Very informative and a way to save our generation
Reuben mwaniki maina

Post by Reuben mwaniki maina »

I rely enjoyed the book .our generation
Ndayisabayamado3
Currently Reading: I Can't Make This Up
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Ndayisabayamado3 »

I was indeed pleased to learn more from generation ,sometimes i think that this was written to teach me history
of the past from my former ancestor lives.I recommend the story to the students.
Success84

Post by Success84 »

So interest I believe with some little editing now the book will be very attractive and enjoyable when reading thank a lot looking forward for the second edition

-- 11 Jul 2017, 15:50 --

So interest I believe with some little editing now the book will be very attractive and enjoyable when reading thank a lot looking forward for the second edition
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Thank you for the review. I like to read history. This one is good and a part of our generations today.

Romania didn’t fare any better in World War II, and the modestly sized nation was actually bombed by both the Allies and the Luftwaffe at different points. This was due to former Romanian general Ion Antonescu operating under Nazi influence—until he was deposed by King Michael.- Romania History
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Thank you for such a nice review .
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”