Official Review: Darkshine by RD Vallier

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Official Review: Darkshine by RD Vallier

Post by micoleon13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Darkshine" by RD Vallier.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Darkshine is the first book in The Darkshine Series by R. D. Vallier, and for those who enjoy fantasy fiction, it is well worth a read.

Miriam has never felt like she has been able to fit in anywhere in her life. Not with her mother, at school, her job and definitely not with her bullying and insulting husband, Sam. When Miriam learns suddenly of a hidden secret concerning Sam, her life gets turned completely upside down. In running away from her husband, she finds herself thrown into a world, not only where magic exists, but where she is a pivotal part of it.

In her discovery, she is aided by two representatives from the warring magical factions, Orin and Delano. The more she learns from the both of them, the harder she finds it to decide who is actually telling the truth. When her own survival depends on the right decision, she must choose whose side she is really on.

This was a beautifully written story that drew me in right from the first page. Written in first person from Miriam’s perspective, the reader is able to learn along with her as she discovers the magic in the world around her, as well as hidden strengths in herself.

I did find Miriam’s character a little frustrating at first in her total lack of confidence to stand up to Sam, but it does portray the unfortunate truth about an abusive relationship. In spite of my frustration, this did help make Miriam’s character more realistic. The secondary characters of Orin and Delano were very well written, with the reader doubting about which one to trust right up until the last moment. Sam’s character was also portrayed well, as the reader immediately feels an enormous dislike towards him and his selfish, hurtful ways.

Set in the United States, there is a good balance between fantasy and reality as Miriam learns about the magic all around her, hiding in plain sight. This is an aspect of the book which I really liked, as it would be nice to believe that magic is around us every day, just not letting itself be seen. Also the fast paced writing style certainly helped to keep this book a gripping read. This story has action, violence, deceit, potential love interests, adventure, as well as talking animals. What more could a reader ask for?

As can be predicted from this review, I loved this book and therefore give it 4 out of 4 stars. I really enjoyed the mix of everyday reality and magic, without it becoming too extreme and unbelievable. Although this book is meant to be the start of a series, the ending doesn’t finish on a cliff hanger, which I personally preferred. There is certainly room for this story to grow with more books, but the ending here doesn’t leave the reader feeling unfulfilled. I would recommend this book to anyone at all, but especially to those who like magic. It’s an easy read, whether you’re a fan of fantasy or not, and I can’t wait for the next book in the series.

Darkshine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!
BestReviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2">Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bestreviews.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by BestReviews »

I love the book title "Darkshine". I also love the Character Miriam and would love to know more about her. After reading nicely presented review, this book is a must read. Thank you for the review
BestReviews
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
fildenngeno
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by fildenngeno »

I love the book title "Darkshine". I also love the Character Miriam and would liks to know more about her. After reading nicely presented review, this book is a must read actually. Thanks for the review. Nice touch indeed
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! It really sounds like there is a lot in this novel. It's interesting that she can't decide which faction is telling the truth. Plus an abusive relationship? I'll put this one on my to read list. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sabina G
Currently Reading: The Scarpetta Factor
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabina-g.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Sabina G »

Although one is told that a book should not be judged by its cover, I came to this review because the cover is beautiful. :oops:
However, I really enjoyed knowing more about this title. I like magic and fantasy texts so I think I will definitely enjoy it, especially because it's not an unbelievable kind of magic.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
irfan talib choudhar
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by irfan talib choudhar »

the story about action violence deceit
Fullsunmoon
Currently Reading: China Rich Girlfriend
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fullsunmoon.html
Latest Review: "Song of the Robin" by R.V.Biggs

Post by Fullsunmoon »

I love the magic in plain sight concept. And warring magical factions sound right up my alley. Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "Song of the Robin" by R.V.Biggs
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

I love the message that magic is all around, hiding in plain sight. Fantasy is not my first pick genre but this sounds like a good read.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an enjoyable book. Good thing the ending is not a cliffhanger making it seems like a standalone novel despite being the start of a series. Good job on the review. Congratulations to RD Vallie on such a high rating.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”