Official Review: The Curse of the Ancient Greeks

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Official Review: The Curse of the Ancient Greeks

Post by CarrieMe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Curse of the Ancient Greeks" by Faris Nejad.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Curse of the Ancient Greeks by Faris Nejad opens in the midst of the modern Greek economic crisis. The country is reeling: unemployment is high, taxes are higher, and everyone's looking for someone to blame. Panos, our protagonist, has been tasked with reporting on the crisis for a newspaper. As he haplessly searches for answers, he also finds himself struggling to save his job, his family relationships, and more. But most of all, he's struggling to find a reason to keeping believing in the future.

Through Panos, we get an insightful look into the Greek crisis and how it has impacted the day to day lives of the Greek people. From the strikes, to the failing businesses, to the endless bureaucracy and taxes, we see it all. Even better, we hear from different generations and parts of society, getting their views on how everything went so wrong. The novel is ambitious and comprehensive in scope, but rarely does it feel forced.

In the latter half of the book, Panos has a series of online conversations with someone he calls Socrates. These chats quickly become philosophical, as Panos searches for answers about his life and his identity. It was a smart choice to use a chat format for these talks, since it keeps things fairly casual. This part of the book was genuinely enjoyable for me, but it felt a little contrived sometimes. I can appreciate a bit of philosophy in a book, but it would be even better if it were incorporated more seamlessly.

The Curse of the Ancient Greeks tackles some serious subjects, and it would be easy for this to become an incredibly morose book. At times, it's written in a way that almost feels stream of consciousness in style, which underscores the sense of desperation that pervades the novel. However, although the darkness is present, there's also a fair amount of levity. In fact, it often feels like a tragicomedy. Panos is a highly imperfect character, and the situations he often finds himself in can only be described as ridiculous. The absurdity of his life adds some much needed humor to the story without trivializing the experiences of the Greek people.

In the end, this is more than just the story of Panos; it's the story of a nation. It's a tale full of cynicism, but it's also not without some hope. I'm giving this book 4 out of 4 stars, and I'd recommend it to anyone interested in the Greek crisis. Even if you don't know much about Greece's modern troubles, this is still a worthy read. If you can appreciate books about people's daily struggles and welcome a little philosophy, give The Curse of the Ancient Greeks a chance.

The Curse of the Ancient Greeks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CarrieMe's review? Post a comment saying so!
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I will admit that I don't really know much about Greek's economic state, but it sounds like this book is an informative while also entertaining. Glad you liked this one so much!
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

You really sell this book with your review. Thanks a lot for sharing your thought.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Thanks for the review, I feel the trouble of the story. For in every nation, there is always a struggle.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

You present this book well. I really get a sense of what the book is about. Unfortunately I don't think this one is for me. I appreciate the review though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
BestReviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2">Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bestreviews.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by BestReviews »

Nice review right there. Although I don't feel like I should read the book.
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
ChrisD
Currently Reading: Heaven and Earth
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by ChrisD »

This is a very good review. In fact, it is so good that makes me certain that I do not wish to read this book! Not because it is not well written or interesting - it seems to be; and the approach, everyday life and philosophical angle, is appealing. Then why? you may ask. Because exactly this is the newspaper approach, the humanitarian approach, the philosophical approach. Well, there is no difference, in consequences, between the Greek economic crisis and what happened in other countries - it is just that this is the first time it happens in a "developed country of the western world" that makes it rattle our intellectual doors and windows; this time it's not so far away. What I would like to read is a book about why it happened (definitely not for financial or social reasons); else, I would find this book definitely interesting. This could happen to your country in few years!
BookishBookkeeping
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishbookkeeping.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BookishBookkeeping »

I'm not informed about the Greek crisis but this book sounds very informative for a novel and one I want to read. Good job with review.
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html

Post by CarrieMe »

BookishBookkeeping wrote:I'm not informed about the Greek crisis but this book sounds very informative for a novel and one I want to read. Good job with review.
MarisaRose wrote:I will admit that I don't really know much about Greek's economic state, but it sounds like this book is an informative while also entertaining. Glad you liked this one so much!
Honestly, I'm no expert, either! I think that even if you don't know a lot about Greece, this book is still worth a read!
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

Thanks for your review. It's helpful to know that there is some levity and hope in the story as well as the cynicism.
peace starts with a smile...
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

All I know about the Greek crisis is what I watched on the News.
Time to get some insight.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”