Review by BookishBookkeeping -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
BookishBookkeeping
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishbookkeeping.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by BookishBookkeeping -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by BookishBookkeeping »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Superhighway by Alex Fayman is book one of the Superhighway trilogy. A page-turning science fiction set in the speeding corridors of the internet with enough twists and turns to captivate your attention. As interconnected as we are these days, some of the scenes will leave you wondering how truly vulnerable we are.

The main character is Alex Fine. Named by the woman in charge of the foster care center. Living his whole life invisible and never belonging somewhere permanent, Alex discovers one day on accident just how different he truly is. He can enter the internet. He has access to all the accounts, money, and knowledge available online. Using this power Alex foolishly makes immature decisions which come to cost him dearly. No longer invisible Alex is now being hunted.

The author leaves much to the imagination in the best possible way. I found myself glued to the pages until the end. The ability to enter the internet left me thinking about the implications of such power. The story is engaging and provoking just as most fantasies are. Leaving me wondering about the global world around us. The author also did an excellent job with the main character. Alex Fine is written thoughtfully in regards to foster children. How invisible they can be to us and the disappointments they endure upon being rejected by an adopting family. The author keeps Alex as real to an eighteen-year-old as possible by showing us how youthful he is through the disastrous outcomes of his decisions.

The book had a few editorial mistakes and an insufficient development of the female characters. The women appear briefly throughout the story but not enough to form an attachment to them. Granted reading about them from Alex's point of view it is no wonder they appear shallow. The editorial mistakes, however, don't take anything away from the enjoyment of the book.

I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. I found the story to be both original and gripping. Many adults and young adults who are interested in the science fiction or fantasy genre will enjoy it. The overall theme of the book, the ability to step into the internet, gives one pause to ponder the immense ethical questions of having such capabilities. It will leave you discussing these questions long after you have finished. I look forward to getting my hands on the next book in the series.

Superhighway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like BookishBookkeeping's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Dubikkwaku1992
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dubikkwaku1992 »

Nice review, thank you ! The storyline is amazing but I think the book should be reviewed gain, good job. Keep it up?
Sophie11
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophie11.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Sophie11 »

This is definitely one for my shelf, the review is convincing enough i hope I enjoy it.
khadija001
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 17558">The Last Juror</a>
Currently Reading: Rage and Mercy Part 1
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by khadija001 »

This book sounds like an interesting one, but I really enjoyed reading the review though it does lack major contents.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Thank you for your review. I guess, if I read that book, I need wide imagination. Fantasy somewhat feels us good. It gives comfort but we need to handle our emotions without being carried away.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I like its plot and I guess it is worth reading. Thank you for your review
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Wilberforcem
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Arcadia's Children</a>
Currently Reading: Insurgent (The Divergent Series #2)
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Wilberforcem »

Being someone who is good with the science fiction world i love how the author has brought out the whole theme,
its eye attraction when you want to find out more and what is bound to happen next especially when Alex Fine discovers what he can do with his powers and the immense ethical questions of having such capabilities. It will leave you discussing these questions long after you have finished and wanting to find out more and more and what is to happen next.
I would rate it a 4 out of 4 stars because of the originality and the creativity put to paper. Alex Fine is written thoughtfully in regards to all the new generation children who are active in there present lives.
nyakana derrick
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nyakana derrick »

this sounds interesting.i hope to enjoy it
Cheezy1995
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Cheezy1995 »

I think this one is just perfect for my shelf
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I am happy you mentioned the insufficient development of the women characters. I agree with you in this respect although maybe it was purposefully done so thinking that Alex is only 18 and this is the way he sees women and relationships at 18. Thank you for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

cristinaro wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 05:35 I am happy you mentioned the insufficient development of the women characters. I agree with you in this respect although maybe it was purposefully done so thinking that Alex is only 18 and this is the way he sees women and relationships at 18. Thank you for your review!
I was a little put off by Alex's total disinterest of women up until he discovers his ability. Then, all of a sudden he can't help but notice every beautiful woman, and now they are a distraction and causing him commitment issues. Although probably quite true to the character of an 18 year old, the drastic shift from his orphanage days, to his first few days away seemed a little off. I thought the female characters were a pretty wide representation of that gender. Some are hesitant to start a physical relationship without a commitment, and some have fleeting relationships. Some a man will get to know well, and some will pass right through.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I'm reading Superhighway right now, and I agree completely with the treatment of female characters! Even if it's realistic, since Alex is only 18, it's not necessarily something that's enjoyable to read about, especially when his attitude towards women has few consequences (that I've seen thus far, anyway). In the rest of the book, and the sequels, I'd love to see this attitude come back to bite him in some way, ideally alongside a strong and well-developed female character.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

Great job on the review! I also noticed that the women appeared briefly but I never commented on that in my own review.
MollyEnter
Currently Reading: The Altitude Journals
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollyenter.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by MollyEnter »

I like your review. I just downloaded this book and your assessment that it is engrossing makes me want to start reading this now. But I'm worried about committing to a whole trilogy. I'm usually a stand-alone alone novel type of person.
"There is something about words. In expert hands, manipulated deftly, they take you prisoner.”
– Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

I first found this book searching on Amazon books and was interested enough by the cover for me to glimpse at the summary, but did not download, however your review really nailed it for me and I have added this book to my Want to Read shelf. Thank you for a great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”