Official Review: Life of a Guardian by William Benson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Official Review: Life of a Guardian by William Benson

Post by Scerakor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Life of a Guardian" by William Benson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

William Benson has led an extremely interesting life. Not only did his childhood experiences shape the adult that he became, but his adult life was anything but mundane. This memoir spins a tale of one man’s struggles as he grows up, his professional battles (both political and physical) as a police officer, and the turmoil that was his personal life.

Life of a Guardian: Protect and Serve by William Benson is a memoir that goes through the trials and tribulations the author faced throughout his life. It describes his life as a young boy in the Deep South, as a military dependent overseas in Germany, as an adolescent growing up on various posts stateside, as a young recruit in the military, and as a police officer in a politically and racially tense mid-20th century America. The book describes, in a very frank and straightforward manner, the actions performed and the thoughts he had in each of the distinct stages of his life. He does not shy away from the potentially embarrassing or unpleasant parts of his life either. For example, he describes the emotional traumas that caused his chronic bed-wetting which lasted well into adulthood and how this problem affected both growing up and leading a normal adult life. He goes into great detail on his attempts at physical intimacy with girls growing up and eventually the details of his rocky relationships as an adult. He describes many of the tense, violent, exciting, and sometimes funny experiences he had as a police officer in the Deep South and eventually further east.

This memoir was definitely an interesting read. William Benson’s life has had its ups and downs and I enjoyed sharing in his experiences by reading the book. I liked how he took a “no nonsense” approach to writing this memoir and how he was very honest about things that he thought and did. This brings a real-life perspective to the read which is necessary to trust the author’s accounts. Even if these thoughts/actions were embarrassing, vulgar, stupid, or downright illegal, Benson told the story as it happened. What I like the best about reading this memoir is that it gave me insights into a life that is so dissimilar to my own that it gave me a completely different perspective of those around me. For example, I loved reading about his time in Germany as a child not only because of the cultural differences, but also because of the fact that it was so soon after WWII. I enjoyed the tales of when he was on the police force not only for the action, but also the descriptions of racial tension and prejudice I haven’t experienced in my life. All in all, for a relatively short memoir, this was an interesting glimpse into the rocky life of the author.

There were a few issues that I had with the book, both in its editing and its writing. There were a few spelling mistakes here and there as well as a couple of editing issues. For example, to start of the book there was a chapter labelled “Epilogue” where it should have been “Prologue.” The writing itself was usually fine, but I found at times that the language used was either forced or came off as unnatural. For example, when talking about his father having a couple of drinks with a friend, he referred to it awkwardly as a “beer drinking session.” What I disliked the most however is how, at a couple of different instances during the book, the author repeated nearly the exact same text/descriptions in two separate chapters rather than simply making reference back to the first instance or omitting it entirely.

I sincerely enjoyed reading Life of a Guardian and for that reason I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I think that William Benson does a very good job in summarizing his life and making it interesting for the reader. The editing / writing style issues I had with the book were enough to inhibit me from giving the memoir a perfect score. If you are a fan of reading memoirs, especially ones with frank descriptions of personal issues and the (sometimes terrible) world around us, this book may be for you. If you either don’t like memoirs or are turned off by an author delving into extremely personal situations, you might not like this book.

Life of a Guardian
View: on Bookshelves

Like Scerakor's review? Post a comment saying so!
charel15
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by charel15 »

I like it too
tumsilas

Post by tumsilas »

This actually great i liked it too
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Repetition can be annoying when reading a book. I like reading memoirs because they give a true picture. I would like to read this book and I hope the errors in it will not deter me. Nice review.
Joseph Mkongwe
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Joseph Mkongwe »

Yea I like it coz it portrays the real life of most people in the world
JusticeMd
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... highway</a>

Post by JusticeMd »

A very very interesting book i like it
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It does sound rather interesting. Funny that the prologue was titled epilogue. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I'm glad you found this memoir successful! I think the author's perspective is interesting, and it sounds like he has a lot of stories to tell!
Alesandra

Post by Alesandra »

Being in a service job like police officer is no easy job and I can say that I like the story.
Scerakor
Currently Reading:

Post by Scerakor »

Alesandra wrote:Being in a service job like police officer is no easy job and I can say that I like the story.
Absolutely. This is one of those professions that put their life on the line in the service of others every day. Thanks for the comment.
whtruest

Post by whtruest »

This is a well done review no doubt leading those enjoying autobiographical accounts to reading the work. Many readers want to savor real stories of people with completely different settings and happenings from their own. The reviewer covered the varied circumstances and geographies of Mr. Benson so as to peak potential readers interest.
Embercynthia

Post by Embercynthia »

Awesome review. Thumbs-up!

-- 30 Jun 2017, 16:23 --

-- 30 Jun 2017, 16:24 --

Scerakor
Currently Reading:

Post by Scerakor »

whtruest wrote:This is a well done review no doubt leading those enjoying autobiographical accounts to reading the work. Many readers want to savor real stories of people with completely different settings and happenings from their own. The reviewer covered the varied circumstances and geographies of Mr. Benson so as to peak potential readers interest.
Thanks for the comment. I tried to cover some of the key items within the memoir and his life. Hopefully, it gets you excited to check it out.

-- 03 Jul 2017, 07:33 --
Embercynthia wrote:Awesome review. Thumbs-up!

-- 30 Jun 2017, 16:23 --

-- 30 Jun 2017, 16:24 --

Thanks!
Penny Lee
Favorite Author: R. A. Salvatore
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 485
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-lee.html
Latest Review: The Pirate Who Was Scared of Birds by Michelle Path
fav_author_id: 8463

Post by Penny Lee »

This sounds like an interesting, straight-forward biography. Benson's life sounds anything but mundane. The lack of professional editing is unfortunate, but hopefully the story outweighs that.
Littera scripta manet -- the written word remains.
mukaminjenga
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mukaminjenga »

Biography inform of a tale tell a story.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”