Official Review: The Flowers of Mars by Henry D. Irwin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Official Review: The Flowers of Mars by Henry D. Irwin

Post by Momlovesbooks »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Flowers of Mars" by Henry D. Irwin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Flowers of Mars is a science fiction novel by the author Henry D. Irwin. The author combines science, politics, romance and danger to create a glimpse of what could happen to our world in the not-so-distant future.

The story begins with one of the protagonists, Dr. Annie Farrell, on a geological trip to Africa. She is researching a prehistoric event that destroyed the majority of life on Earth. Meanwhile, Gracie Hewitt, a physics graduate assistance, has discovered a "strange matter" on Mars. It comes from geological formations that look like large flowers. It seems that this matter could provide powerful, lasting energy to Earth. Unknown to Gracie, the information given to her was classified and now creates a maelstrom once the news is released. Many countries of the world are now on a race to reach Mars and the strange matter. Gracie and a mystic from India are the only ones who listen to Annie that there might be a dangerous connection between Mars and an ancient event.

One of the opponents to the Mars mission is the Reverend Jared Quincy. He believes this is a sign of the end times, as foretold in the Book of Revelations. He has brainwashed his followers to believe him and will stop at nothing to try to destroy the mission to Mars. The oil companies also have a big stake in this mission. A discovery of a new fuel could put them all out of business. Throw some politics, espionage and sex into the mix and you have a wild ride. To reach their destination safely, all countries will have to pull together to prevent a major disaster.

The story began with action in one area of the world, and quickly jumped to other settings. The author was descriptive in drawing a word portrait of each country involved in the mission to Mars. Included in the list of main countries are Russia, China, and the United States of America. Although the story is set many years in the future, it is laid out in a very believable format.

About one-third of the way through the book, I became bogged down with the elaborate, technical descriptions. I feel a little less detail in these areas would have been just as informative for a lay-person. Also, I became confused as the storyline jumped from one character to another. I had to re-read a few sections to determine who the character was and where they actually fit in the plot. Although I slowed down in the middle of my reading, the creativity and interesting character development kept me going. Two of the main female characters, Gracie and Annie, are strong yet humorous women. They give a touch of levity to the story. The Reverend Quincy was a powerful, psychotic opponent. The author pulled together a book with many intertwined story lines and characters while managing to make it come together smoothly at the end.

I noticed a few grammatical mistakes, although they didn't distract from the overall enjoyment of the book. Based on the above observations, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Anyone interested in science fiction and space travel will enjoy this one. However, I must mention that it should be for mature readers only. There are some sexual scenes that would be unsuitable for younger readers.

The Flowers of Mars
View: on Bookshelves

Like Momlovesbooks's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mukwaya Ibrahim
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mukwaya Ibrahim »

'a glimpse of what could happen to our world in the not-so-distant future', yet the content is not for younger readers then who is the future bestowed on? Though the book feels interesting.
mugume frank

Post by mugume frank »

haha it is interesting ,may be we it is good to think in future,how we can explore the nature
jboy

Post by jboy »

Hello I like this book I am love with the book...
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Sounds good, would love to see how the plot flows and especially how it ends. Definitely an addition to my to read pile.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like it has an interesting premise. You lost me, though, when you said you got bogged down with the technical details. That turns me off quickly when the author includes too much technicality. Thanks for the review, but I think I'll skip this one for now.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

One of my big pet peeves is when author's give way too much technical detail that fails to aid to the story. This one has an interesting premise though, glad you were able to look past some of the negatives!
JUNAFE21
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by JUNAFE21 »

Its very interesting and not boring. Many people will love this because of its great words and very iconic texture/... i highly recommend you this book
Zablon
Currently Reading: My Trip to Adele

Post by Zablon »

Only its cover makes me think of curiosity rover that landed in Mars some years ago. though the real story in it is for younger readers. it's author added much technical details. though it's good. 4 stars not bad.
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

The book would have made a nice read for younger readers if adult content wasn't included. Thank you for the nice review.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Wow! This is the best review I've read so far, its so detailed yet without spoilers. As a newbie I aspire to write so well. I think I'll shy away from the book though because of those scenes you said aren't suitable for younger readers. Thank you for this review!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Alesandra

Post by Alesandra »

Wow, what a science fiction. A unique story I read again, so good. I wish to have this book in my hands :?
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I am always pleased to see strong female characters in sci-fi novels. Too bad about the volume of technical detail. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

Just like you mentioned, the reader can quickly become tiresome of technical descriptions which are sometimes dull and unnecessary. It's one of the reasons why I don't often read science fiction, even though the summary for this book sounds great. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
deerus

Post by deerus »

The flowers of Mars by Henry D. Irwin is a science fiction book. Gracie Hawitt a physics graduate discovered a strange matter in mars that could help provide the earth with energy, as soon as the news got out various countries began the race to Mars not knowing a the matter could be dangerous.. Meanwhile reverend Jared Quincy is against the mars mission as he beloved that it's the end times as included in the Bible and warns against tampering h the mars matter! This story is awesome as it reveals how science politics and religious values interact. Rated 4

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”