Official Review: Pursuing Grace by Anita Cox

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Camogirl217
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camogirl217.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Official Review: Pursuing Grace by Anita Cox

Post by Camogirl217 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pursuing Grace" by Anita Cox.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pursuing Grace is a short novella acting as a prequel to Anita Cox's "Shifter Chronicles" series. It revolves around the fantastical existence of Lycans (or werewolves) and their struggle to follow ancient customs in a modern world. Amidst the chaos of families at war, Grace McGovern learns what it means to love, care, and lead her fellow pack-mates as the very last pure-blooded Lycan in existence.

However, Grace has a rocky beginning to her role as Princess. As a recent college graduate who, like everyone else her age, is anxious about her future, Grace is feeling particularly restless. She doesn't feel like she belongs or that her friends really understand her. At her lowest point, Roman comes crashing into her life. He tells her that her beloved grandmother has lied to her, that she's really their long-lost princess, and that she needs to come home. Stripped of her identity as she knows it, Grace is confused and frightened. Beneath all the hurt, however, is excitement. Excitement she has never felt before.

The question is: will she embrace her blood and accept a life with Roman at her side, or will she run and compromise the already shaky alliance between Lycan packs?

Grace is a great female protagonist. She stands her ground, refuses to be abused or pushed around, and empowers the people around her with her bright personality. Roman, on the other hand, is a bit of a wallflower with no personality of his own. Grace overshadows him in every scene they're together, which puts a damper on the romance aspect of the book. She says there's a spark between them, but, as the reader, I just didn't feel it. The same goes for the scenery. Grace says her new home is gorgeous and breathtaking, but never goes into any detail. The minor characters are also cursed with inattention - they appear, Grace interacts with them briefly, and they disappear. It was really disappointing to me that the author basically glossed over so many details that make a book relatable.

The plot itself had a few unique twists, but was overall a cliche, overused story that I've read countless times before. The pace was slow and seemed to drag on at times, so I was a bit surprised when it abruptly ended. I thought it was just the end of the chapter, not the whole book. I was expecting more conflict, maybe even some fight scenes, but this novella was more like a diary than anything else. Despite my complaints, however, Pursuing Grace was an enjoyable book that I read in one sitting. Overall, I would rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

If you enjoy the Lycan/werewolf genre, I would recommend the "Law of the Lycans" series by Nicky Charles. As a warning, both this series and Pursuing Grace are in the erotic category of romance, with numerous sex scenes and other mature content. In this way, Ms. Cox paid very close attention to detail. Grace had to suffer through several body functions only a wolf or dog would have to deal with, which is something I've never seen before in a fantasy novel.

Pursuing Grace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Camogirl217's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I'm not usually a fan of supernatural stories, but I like the idea of a great female protagonist who happens to be a wolf princess. It's good that she is strong but she's also bright and positive so she will easily win readers over.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Lolly_Reader
Favorite Book: Oils for the Beginner
Currently Reading: The Earthen Vessel
Bookshelf Size: 159

Post by Lolly_Reader »

It's unclear to me why werewolves, vampires, etc., are objects of desire and this book advanced my understanding not one whit. Tedious to read, and I was glad to skip through most of it to save myself being annoyed by the abrupt ending.
Camogirl217
Currently Reading:

Post by Camogirl217 »

Lolly_Reader wrote:It's unclear to me why werewolves, vampires, etc., are objects of desire and this book advanced my understanding not one whit. Tedious to read, and I was glad to skip through most of it to save myself being annoyed by the abrupt ending.
It was tedious at parts. The overall idea had promise to be an epic adventure, but it fell a bit flat of that and relied more on the romance aspect.

Thank you for reading and the comment!

-- 20 Apr 2017, 08:55 --
Amagine wrote:I'm not usually a fan of supernatural stories, but I like the idea of a great female protagonist who happens to be a wolf princess. It's good that she is strong but she's also bright and positive so she will easily win readers over.

Great Review! ?
Thank you very much!
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by shish_by_design »

your review is great. But I found the book a little lacking on some parts. I skimmed through some of the flat parts of the story. The romance was passable but the heroine was wonderful. I loved how strong she was

-- 29 Jun 2017, 12:06 --

your review is great. But I found the book a little lacking on some parts. I skimmed through some of the flat parts of the story. The romance was passable but the heroine was wonderful. I loved how strong she was

Camogirl217
Currently Reading:

Post by Camogirl217 »

[quote="shish_by_design"]your review is great. But I found the book a little lacking on some parts. I skimmed through some of the flat parts of the story. The romance was passable but the heroine was wonderful. I loved how strong she was

Thank you for the reply! I do agree with you, though. The story was definitely lacking in many ways, but it was overall an enjoyable read.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”