Official Review: Your Heart of Gold by Mike Jordan

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Official Review: Your Heart of Gold by Mike Jordan

Post by micoleon13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Your Heart of Gold" by Mike Jordan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Your Heart of Gold is a novel by Mike Jordan and is the first book in the Lovequest Series. Classified as Other Fiction, this book could easily fit into the Romance section.

Guy is a successful winery worker and has achieved much in his life. However, he feels like he is missing out in the love department. Whenever he thinks that he has found the one, he sets up a final test to check whether the woman will love him unconditionally for who he really is and not just the image he portrays. So far he has had no luck.

His two friends, Ham and Monique, come up with an elaborate plan to reconnect Guy with his past flames to see if love can be rekindled. Will it finally be possible for Guy to find his girl with the heart of gold? Set in America, the story moves from California, to Nevada and Idaho, as Guy seeks out the women from his past.

Written in third person, this book mainly follows the story of Guy in his journey looking for love. It also includes various chapters reminiscing about the past where the reader is introduced to the different women as he knew them in years gone by. It also follows the story of Anne, one of Guy’s old girlfriends, who has recently had to deal with a lot of hardship and heartache.

As the main character, Guy is realistically portrayed. Although handsome and well-off, he is still awkward and shy at times which helps to make him an easy character to like and empathise with. The secondary characters of Ham and Monique, provide a nice balance to the extreme personalities of the old girlfriends, while Anne and her family provide a good contrast to the life Guy leads and are shown as very down to earth people, just trying to make ends meet.

This book nicely illustrates the passage of time and how it can colour our memories of the past, especially our recollections of people. What was once cute and endearing as a teenager, can now, decades on, be a very different reality.

Even though this book is a fun, easy read, it does touch lightly on several important topics such as drug use, cult culture, homosexuality and physical handicap. I enjoyed how those were integrated with such ease into the story.

This book was written very well and the only criticism I had was that the phrase “heart of gold” was repeated numerous times throughout the book, sometimes multiple times on the same page. The repetition seemed forced and it got to be a little annoying.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, as although there was the unnecessary repetition of the phrase used in the title, it was an enjoyable, good paced story. I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a fun, easy read, as well as to anyone who enjoys romances. I look forward to reading more books from this author.

Your Heart of Gold
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I'm interested in this book just because one of the main characters is a male and the story focuses on his love life. It's extremely common to find these kind of stories with women as the lead. It is refreshing to see a male be the lead of a story that focuses on his romantic pursuits. I also like how the book explores other topics as well.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. I wonder how you can fit heart of gold into a page more than once without making it seemed forced. The only way i think that could work is in poetry.
Mirmow
Currently Reading: Story of a Secret Heart
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mirmow »

Ohh so excited for this book. I find it very interesting from the character itself. Maybe we will not inly meet one character for this story but a lot of characters. But the question is he going to find the right girl for him ot not? Better read this one.?

Great review!
Sheela kanwal
Currently Reading: The Expelled
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Sheela kanwal »

Amazing review! It is so my type of book. I love reading such kind of books. The characters are interesting too. I'm really looking forward to it.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Post by micoleon13 »

Thanks! I really enjoyed reading it, I hope you do too
Anahita
Currently Reading: The Mountain Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anahita.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Anahita »

Very good review. Great to know that romance is not dead! Will definitely purchase it for a rainy day
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

This genre just isn't my typical cup of tea. I'm glad this one is at least character driven and sounds like it stays away from the typical cliches. Great review!
Dayang Siti Zuraida
Currently Reading: Superhighway 2
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Dayang Siti Zuraida »

The writer is really mean with the words 'Heart of Gold'.
rs7658909
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by rs7658909 »

Nice reviews. I like it very much. The main character attracts the readers towards the story. I read it. I would like to read more books like this
Tabitha Koech
Currently Reading: Superhighway

Post by Tabitha Koech »

The book review is on point. Awesome!!
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

If a reader gets annoyed reading repeated phrases, the author should think twice next time he thinks of using phrases to avoid a repeat. Sounds like a book full of romance. I will read this one. Thanks for the review.
Rosepink
Currently Reading: Farmer Beau's Farm

Post by Rosepink »

Great books so far
kaysee

Post by kaysee »

Cant't wait to start reading this book since it's not just an ordinary romantic story it also point outs important issues like drugs, homosexuality, and cultures. ??
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Love story ???? I would love to read this one . And I must admire your review
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”